Optimal city distance

Nice, how did you create this?

I hope the ciy outskirts will look more like actual, natural provinces, like here on this island (not my work):

This picture is very interesting for me. It is not good, when the difference between each single city is only 3 hexes. IIRC, in civ 5 not only hexfields, but also buildings (libraries, markets) must be used by citizens, to turn (more) productive. i think that a mixture of distances between 3 - 5 for cities is a good choice.

You guys forgot about roads. If I place a city in the most optimal spacing possible with little overlap. It would mean I would have a longer road to build and trade road to maintain, no?

I did mention that... roads could be a big factor on how far apart the cities are.

Don't laugh at my paint artistic abilities but I was just playing around with spacing and noted some interesting military points for a 4 space city perfect placement. Each city on a 4 space distance is sharing 4 tiles with a city on each corner. Each city is noted with a white dot in center.

On the map you see where 3 overlapping cites are next to each other is an opportune placement for a fort obviously you have to factor if there is a resource there or not. The particular placement that is there is awesome because with a 2 tile defense that range have would open this placement to max defense for your capital and inner defense for your outer cities with these fort placements.

Tell me what y'all think whether I am totally crazy or if this would actually work properly?

Attachments

• 4 space hex.png
    4 space hex.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 290
Don't laugh at my paint artistic abilities but I was just playing around with spacing and noted some interesting military points for a 4 space city perfect placement. Each city on a 4 space distance is sharing 4 tiles with a city on each corner. Each city is noted with a white dot in center.

On the map you see where 3 overlapping cites are next to each other is an opportune placement for a fort obviously you have to factor if there is a resource there or not. The particular placement that is there is awesome because with a 2 tile defense that range have would open this placement to max defense for your capital and inner defense for your outer cities with these fort placements.

Tell me what y'all think whether I am totally crazy or if this would actually work properly?

Good points... the other things that affect city placement would be land mass shape, mountain ranges and resources. The first two are especially true... will you really want to place cities for "optimum tile working" if you are on a island or small continent with little wiggle room? Or, for that matter, if your neighboring civs are crunching you into a peninsula?

One thing is for sure, pre-release, that hexes look more beautiful on a graph! So positioning will most likely depend on what kind of city size you expect just from the mechanics of the game (before happiness becomes a problem) and where you feel will be a good resting point. Nevertheless, it seems less mechanical than it is in CivIV, where each overlap sometimes feels like you've killed the potential for more beakers/gold :(

I dont think ideal patterns are something that should be looking for.

It depends on growth rates, resources, unit speed (still 2x or 3x on roads or more?) etc. land availability.

Ideally placed cities can be great for the long run to have super cities, but in the short run closely packed cities can benefit from being easier to defend and growing faster. Probably the same in Civ V

I made some diagrams illustrating the arrangements I was talking about in the first post.

Now I can call myself an artist. :p

Attachments

• civ_hex_3.png
    civ_hex_3.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 166
  • civ_hex_4a.png
    civ_hex_4a.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 158
  • civ_hex_4b.png
    civ_hex_4b.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 176
  • civ_hex_5.png
    civ_hex_5.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 147
  • civ_hex_6a.png
    civ_hex_6a.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 143
  • civ_hex_6b.png
    civ_hex_6b.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 150
  • civ_hex_7.png
    civ_hex_7.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 187
I'm curious as to what strategy the AI will use for city placements.

In this screenshot it looks like Rome (an AI I think?) has placed all its cities 4 steps apart.

I'm curious as to what strategy the AI will use for city placements.

In this screenshot it looks like Rome (an AI I think?) has placed all its cities 4 steps apart.

It'll use the same one we should use. Get a good placement based on available resource tiles, and try to minimize gaps.

It'll use the same one we should use. Get a good placement based on available resource tiles, and try to minimize gaps.

This isn't guaranteed. In Civ4, especially on higher difficulties, the AI has a lot more leeway with maintenance and such, so it can afford to put much more track in defensibility and such than a player would usually do. I guess it will be the same in Civ5, with the AI getting happiness bonuses over the player and such, so the optimal placement for the AI is not necessarily the optimal placement for the player. The player also usually has a much better idea of what his Civ needs than the AI, and a better plan.

Also note that the best city placement probably depends on the civilization you choose. I'd expect the largest difference for the Indians, who probably want to aim for fewer, high-population cities than the other civs.

I forgot where I saw it but I am pretty sure the axis direction for the grid is East-West and not North-South. Thus, those grids should all be turned 90 degrees.
Yep, confirmed by the screenshots posted above.

In summary:
TPC(3) = 9
TPC(4) = 12 *
TPC(4) = 16
TPC(5) = 25
TPC(6) = 27 *
TPC(6) = 34
TPC(7) = 37

Also for D >= 6 there are gaps between the cities.

So what's the best distance? I'd guess gaps are bad and between 16-25 tiles per city is reasonable, so a city distance of 4-5 is probably best.

Any thoughts?

Cities have the ability to get to a total of 37 hexes, but this is very difficult and takes alot of time and culture (so don't expect any city except the capital reaching this size, ever)

1. About the grid orientation: Do we know if the map is rotatable again? I never really used that feature at all, but it was kind of cool the first time I saw Civ4.

2. Do we know if it's possible to swap worked tiles between cities again? I'd assume that's got to be an option, but I'm not sure how that works in regards to capturing cities. For instance if I capture a border city do I (a) get all of its tiles as well, or do they (b) belong to the original civ if they have a city that can work them? With the 3 hex radius I'd imagine most city captures get swamped if the game implements option b. But if they go with option a, and you're allowed to swap tiles couldn't you "give" all the tiles of a city that's about to be captured to your other cities?

1. About the grid orientation: Do we know if the map is rotatable again? I never really used that feature at all, but it was kind of cool the first time I saw Civ4.

2. Do we know if it's possible to swap worked tiles between cities again? I'd assume that's got to be an option, but I'm not sure how that works in regards to capturing cities. For instance if I capture a border city do I (a) get all of its tiles as well, or do they (b) belong to the original civ if they have a city that can work them? With the 3 hex radius I'd imagine most city captures get swamped if the game implements option b. But if they go with option a, and you're allowed to swap tiles couldn't you "give" all the tiles of a city that's about to be captured to your other cities?

I hope they go with option c)
A city can work tiles 'owned' by an allied city. City Ownership of tiles cannot be changed.

Still playing around with the hex-grid thingy and figured I'd share the multi-color/blended layout that I put together using some Java.

javaimage.png

7 Cities with 3 tiles between each. The cities are labelled "C" and are full-on Red-Green-Blue whereas the 3-tile radius is partially transparent and where multiple colors overlap you get Cyna-Magenta-Yellow or White (if all three overlap)

I made some diagrams illustrating the arrangements I was talking about in the first post.

Now I can call myself an artist. :p

I think (assuming perfectly even and equally desirable terrain, I would be going similar to civ4, with a distance of 5 tiles between each.

Top Bottom