1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Original map in splash screen ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by MangeTonChapeau, May 9, 2009.

1. MangeTonChapeau

MangeTonChapeau Délinquant

Hello,

I am looking for the original map in RFC's splash screen (ancient map of the world). Any way to find it (reference, link) ?

Thanks a lot !

2. MangeTonChapeau

MangeTonChapeau Délinquant

Can anyone give me the name of the original map (see attached image), or even better a link to the full map ?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. flaming_iles

flaming_iles Warlord

4. dragodon64

dragodon64 Noble

Oh, I always read the words on the map as the Die Num Belt. The New World makes a lot more sense.

5. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Same.... what language is it in?

6. Greeneyedzombie

Greeneyedzombie King

German
    and on the map seems to be latin

7. Rod

Rod King

it sounds more like Dutch, however Dutch Language and German Language have a common ancestor.

8. dragodon64

dragodon64 Noble

I'm not an expert by any means, but isn't "der" Dutch for "the" and "die" German for "the?"

9. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

Nope. "De" and "Het are the Dutch words for "the". In some cases it may be different ("des lands") but that is not common in spoken language. "Der" and "Die", and also "Des" and "Den" are the German forms of "the". So, it's a german map.

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

It's archaic German, given the map's accuracy I'd guess from the early 16th century. Since at that time, there was no standard German, so the difference between Dutch (which initially was part of the Lower German dialect group) and actual German was very fluent.

By the way, on the title it says "Die neuwen Inseln so hinder Hispanien gegen Orient bei dem Land India ligen".
    Today's standard German would be "Die neuen Inseln, die hinter Spanien gen Orient bei dem Land Indien liegen", so translated: "The new islands lying behind Spain towards the Orient near the land of India".