1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

OSG 24 - The Guns of Sssla

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by RefSteel, Feb 24, 2011.

1. jmas

jmas I Can Has Imperium?

Good points. Well if you'll pardon the Civ4-ism, I'm down with some :espionage: if we can get one of those! :)

2. Catwalk

Catwalk Chieftain

It's important to note that the second spy is twice as expensive as the first one, or something like that. So low level spying is definitely the way to go as long as it isn't super profitable for us. But the first one probably has pretty good cost efficiency in these circumstances.

3. RefSteel

RefSteel Pacifistic Technologist

I'm inclined to agree for all the reasons Catwalk stated. I don't think there's any urgency, and I wouldn't really push spying any time soon, but keeping just one spy planted on Espionage (replacing him when he gets caught) seems like a good bet to me - at least until the Meks pull ahead in computer tech again.

[EDIT: jmas, one-spy spying is one of the ways to take best advantage of the spying system; because of the higher cost of larger spy networks and the larger chance that at least one spy will be caught, you tend to get better results - at least on a cost to reward basis, and arguably overall - with a small number of spies.]

4. jmas

jmas I Can Has Imperium?

I was aware of the cost-doubling-- and I think the strategy guide does talk about an optimal number of spies to have (>1 I believe in their reckoning, not that the guide is flawless)--but I guess I hadn't considered all the larger-picture implications of how, as you say, pretty low-level spying (~1 spy) might be more effective overall. Must have been stuck on my how my blood boiled over all those ECM-1 and -2 thefts. :) OK, over and out-- getting ready for work.

5. ToddMarshall

ToddMarshall Maniac - Stellar Wingman

Still Sssick, but I don't have to work 10 hours tomorrow, like I have the last 2 days, nor do I have to get up early on Saturday, like I've had to every day this week, (and maybe I wont even wake up choking in the middle of the night tonite) so I can work late into the night on Friday, and sleep all day Saturday if needed, so I will have it played and posted by tomorrow evening.

It's all Ref's fault for letting it be cold and rainy in LA last week. Next time I go to Cali, I expect it to get above 55 degrees for a high at least once.

6. RefSteel

Nnnnnnoooooooooo!!! Don't pull another late night if you're already sick!

Take
    Care
    Of
    Yourself!

(Please?)

Really sorry about the weather out here. You picked the one rough week. Should have told me in advance you'd been in the state so I'd know to bug the local weather deities about getting things right.

7. ToddMarshall

OK, after an 11 hour "nap", I hopefully have the energy to do this. Going to try to play now.

8. ToddMarshall

Note: I played this on the desktop, which runs it normally, not via dosbox, so no pictures this time.

Preturn analysis:

I notice we've left Simius unguarded, and there is a scout en route back to it. Hopefully he gets there before the Silicoids. I also see we've left Antares unguarded, with nothing headed to it. Not sure why. There are 2 fighters in orbit at Trax, so I send 1 to Antares.

I see we have 4 new long range ships made. I think that's enough for now. We'll need 2 of those to cover open planets, and the other 2 can pe positioned to scout when we have more range.

The question becomes, how much military to we want to invest in defending what planets.

Antares: I feel like a large group of fighters is warranted.

Jinga: same thing, and it's not far from being in range of the Meklars!

Dolz: Until the Meklars get a 2nd level planetology tech, it can wait.

Beta Ceti: Needs defenders urgently!

The Ultra Poors: I think a single LR ship is sufficient. If we get these planets, great. If we don't, then oh well.

Ajax: I'd love to defend it, but it's size 15 and Toxic. We may not even have Toxic in our tree. It's got to be lower priority than the other planets, at least until we know if we have Toxic.

With this in mind, I set Tau Cygni back to making fighters for Beta Ceti. I'd like to get 50 or so fighters up at the tundra planets, maybe more. We need these planets.

Regarding Tech: Oru research priorities (IIT8 and Robo 3) look good to me for now. I usually research more evenly, though, but I leave it for now.

Regarding stealing from the Meklars: While it would be nice to steal something from them, I feel like war with the Meklars at this point would be pretty close to game over. I don't think the risk justifies the reward.

2360: Nothing to add to what I said above.

IT: Uhh, Silicoids show up at Beta Ceti... It's a lone colony ship... It runs...

2361: I take 1 click each out of computers and construction for FF and Weapons. I know that's a bit against the convention, but FF still had a decent bit to go, and it'd be nice to at least be able to stop lasers with our missile bases.

IT: The planet we all though was Cryslon, was actually... Cryslon :) 120 pop and 288 factories... so they have Robotics Controls III already, not good.

What IS good is that we learn the secret of Death Environ... err Death Spores! New tech choice is Terraforming + 30... oh, and Controlled Infenro, which we select.

2362: I take 2 clicks out of Cpu and const, and 1 out of everywhere else and give them to planetology, We need those 4 planets! I have the scout of Cryslon redirect to Nyral. We can reposition it from there if needed. With 50 ships now on their way to Beta Ceti, I flip Tau Cygni to research, and set the homeworld to making fighters for Antares.

IT: :sleep:

2363: Send fighters from Endoria to Beta ceti. Send fighters from the homeworld to Antares. Our scout has arrived back at Simius, and, as I feared, the Sillicoids have moved in :( We probably weren't getting this planet anyway, but to just let the Silicoids have it uncontested is a bit disappointing :(

2364: Send fighters from Endoria to Beta ceti. Send fighters from the homeworld to Antares. Send the scout from Simius to Nyral.

IT: Silicoids arrive at Nyral... it's a lone colony ship... it retreats.

2365: Send fighters from the homeworld to Antares. Send a Sentry from Endoria to Kalis, and one to Ajax.

The Meklar scientists had a productive turn... They now know BC III, Class III, and most concerning, Controlled Dead! Scramble the fighters to Jinga!

I swap the homeworld back to research, and Tau Cygni back to fighters for Jinga!

Hyper Vapoware Rockets now at "2%"

IT: Nothing

2366: Send fighters from Tau Cygni to Jinga. Send a Sentry from Endoria to Nyral, and one to Ajax.

IT: Nothing.

2367: Send fighters from Tau Cygni to Jinga. Send Fighters from Endoria to Beta Ceti.

2368: Send fighters from Tau Cygni to Jinga. Send Fighters from Endoria to Beta Ceti.

2369: Send fighters from Tau Cygni to Jinga.

IT: A lone Silicoid medium "Baracudda" shows up at Antares, where we have 35 fighters and a Scout. It runs.

To the next player: It's up to you if you want to build any more fighters or not. Antares, the Tundra planet in the nebula is already being sniffed by the Silicoids, so I'd highly advise making 20-30 more fighters to defend it. I'm just not sure that 35 fighters is enough there... Hard to say. Inferno will likely hit near the end of your turn, especially if you shift both maxed planets to research. We'll soon have 4 scout/sentris at the large Ultra Poor. Not enough to kill a serious fleet, but enough to kill a couple of Colony ships. Otherwise, not really a whole lot to say. A mostly uneventful set of turns. Really nothing even to have taken a picture of, other than a couple of dramatic space showdown pics. The save will follow momentarily.

Edit: I can not get the save to upload. I will be out of town tomorrow after I wake up, so I emailed it to Ref. Hopefully he can upload it.

Edit2: I uploaded it to the RB server, since it wouldn't upload here. If this doesn't work, ask Ref. I sent it to him in both zip and rar formats.

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1712&stc=1&d=1299318261

9. jmas

jmas I Can Has Imperium?

Thank you Maniac for the report. ^^I get the msg "Invalid Attachment specified" at that link. Ref, can u help?

10. ToddMarshall

That's odd, because I tested it, and it downloads just fine for me. Tested it again just now, and it works fine for me.

Tried to uplaod it here again both as Rar and Zip, and I get upload of save failed.

After some thought, I think I'd make more fighters for both the exposed Tundra planets, but that's just me.

11. RefSteel

Thanks for the report, Maniac! I'll make comments and/or blather aimlessly when I have a chance.

In the meantime, let's see if I can upload the save....

(Moments later...)

Okay, not working. Maniac sent a copy of the save to me though, so I'm uploading it to the thread back at RB - here - which seems to work fine. Seems to be an issue with the CF server, I guess.

[EDIT: And jmas is now UP!]

[EDIT2: From the top of this very page:
    ]

12. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Lurker:

Yes a few others have mentioned the upload is not working. Probably they got hack the other day as CFC was down much of the day.

13. Catwalk

Catwalk Chieftain

Any thoughts on when to get Robotics III? Seeing as we have a bunch of systems to colonize now and underdeveloped infrastructure (due to the transport restriction), I'm guessing we'll want to hold off on it for quite some time.

14. ToddMarshall

Posting from a ds =p Iirc, most of the planets we're trying to grab are rich, and I expect 4 of our 6 current planets will be maxed before we get robo 3, so I would not sweat the robo controls as long as we arrange to get iit8 first

15. jmas

jmas I Can Has Imperium?

Got it, will try to play this evening. Thx Ref.

16. jmas

jmas I Can Has Imperium?

17. jmas

jmas I Can Has Imperium?

I like to have medium ships with just a battle scanner for scanning duty to get the lowdown on enemy ships -- although in this variant we'll need a laser as well. Maybe we could set one of those up as soon as possible at one or more planets where we have significant fighter presence? I have to admit I don't know how the scanner fits with the laser space-wise right now, as I've done enough typing for one day..

18. ToddMarshall

Propulsion needs to have at least a single click added to it, as it has an investment that is decaying. Also, I think I'd send most of those fighters at Endoria on to the UR Beta Ceti. I'm very concerned we'll lose that planet. I might add in other suggestions as I poke around the save.

E1: If we want to get at least 1 base up everywhere, now would be a good time, before we're building robotics factories.

E2: Oh, btw, we do NOT have toxic in our tree, and there's no way we can realistically expect to hold a planet till Radiated, if we even have it.

19. jmas

jmas I Can Has Imperium?

I'm not sure how it happened that Propulsion has no clicks. I think it was probably while I was making changes in 2380, because in my 2379 save there is still a click in propulsion and I am usually very conscientious about that. So hopefully there has not been any decay so far. But you are right, a click should be put back in.

20. RefSteel

Thanks for the report, jmas - and for the comments and suggestions, both of you! I'll have a look around when I have the chance, and try to post some goals and thoughts before I get started on actually playing. That said...

GOT IT!