Out of Sync & Other Failures

Flak Fox

Radioactive Vulpine
So, I've got my friend to download this mod and install it, we're both running the same version with the same parameters and GlobalDefines. I've tried playing the game with huge maps and lots of civs and all of the additional mods, which didn't work. Assuming it was his computer we dropped down to a standard size, basic map, with 8 civs (including ourselves) and the problems persisted. I also turned off the revolution mod, as well as barbarian civs and the like. Still get the same problems.

The problems include one of the following scenarios:

1) Game crashes for me (host) before it finishes loading the freshly created game.
2) Game allows me to enter, but not my friend, and then slams me with a "lost connection" error and asks me to vote whether or not to save/quit, save/continue, or wait. Friend never enters.
3) The error seen below:

Basically, I build a city (while the flashing out of sync error continues to annoy) and get this error. I don't think he can even move (we're playing simultaneous turns of course).

Don't know what's going on, but regular Civ IV is boring compared to LoR, so...

Clean out your custom assets folder. Also this bug is in the "Known Bug List" ;)

I know it's somewhat of a hassle that the custom assets folder must be empty to play LoR in multiplayer. This is a particular problem for people who use the BUG mod, and install it under the default settings, as BUG puts itself in the Custom Assets folder. At this point we just can't figure out anothe way to fix this issue though. MP is currently the main thing glider is working on, but getting it fully functional will take time.

I'll give that a shot--sorry if it was in the known bug list--in my haste and frustration (since we've been at this for hours lol) I just posted...

Also BtS by itself can't get through an MP game on a huge or large map without going OOS, so you may want to tone it down a bit. But if you don't mind reloading off of out of sync problems with BtS, then LoR shouldn't be much different. Make sure you look at the known bug list though, there are a few items to keep in mind when playing MP to keep it from instantly going out of sync.

That actually reminds me, I need to post the fact that both human players must have the Forest Chopping options set to the same thing as well, otherwise the game will OOS. This is posted in the BUG forums, but it's pretty hidden, and there are probably quite a few players that use LoR without BUG.

Also if you do use the BUG mod, and you used the default install method, which puts it in your custom assets folder, just rename the custom assets assets folder while playing LoR in MP. Or, you could just move it to the desktop, then move it back into the My Game/BtS folder once you're done with MP. I can't think of any other way around it. It's unlikely LoR will be able to handle custom assets in MP for some time, as in a few weeks or a couple months. We have no idea why this problem happens though, LoR is specifically set to not load custom assets, so they shouldn't do anything, but for some unknown reason they break MP games.

Hey, all I know is you guys made one of the best mods every for Civ IV and I don't play Civ IV without it, so :p

Thanks for your help!

Reposting...

So, the out of sync error has happened to us again, and quite often, and I figured out what is causing it.

As soon as the "Your forces are under attack!" warning pops up on my screen we keep going out of sync. This has happened about 5 times now and we both keep wiping our custom assets folder but it continues to persist.

Screen shot:
http://www.datazap.net/sites/blazenangel/LORFailAgain.PNG

Anyone? Any solutions? The game is almost unplayable with this issue.

Tried another game on an even smaller map with less enemies, game still goes out of sync when one of us get the "your forces are under attack by (whoever)" warning.

I know this mod wasn't intended to be played with the "always at peace" option on--so, any solution would be nice :)

Well, I guess my friend and I will reluctantly search for greener pastures.

If this issue is ever fixed, I'd sure like to know about it. It's a shame that the (imo) best mod for Civ IV is undermined by such an error that no one wants to fix =/

Multiplayer issues seem to plague mods in general. It is not that i do not want to fix the issue, i just do not know how.

Understandable, I guess I was basically just looking for a response of any kind.

It is a true shame and almost seems to be linked to the computers themselves. I haven't had the chance to test this out on different machines (just mine and his), but even with other mods the same OOS issue pops up, but in different ways and for different reasons.

Truly an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in a taco =/

Top Bottom