PACIFIC map by ShadowOfDeath

ShadowOfDeath

Chieftain

DOWNLOAD HERE

Hi!

I present here a map (C3 Conquest required) which I created some time ago (around begging of 2013) for one of my mods. Because I'm still far from finishing the mod (it's a mod based on C3C 2nd World War in the Pacific and inspired by Pacific TV series) and I don't know if I will have enough spare time to ever release the mod, I took this map and uploaded it as separate entity. Mod is about 70% created, but still required some polising, this map however can be use for any kind of scenario, since I create it as a basic map imported from my mod, so files in rar archive do not contain any special unit, special rules or customisation.

Map have size 160x220 and it is somehow bigger, especially to the edges that this one from C3C. I always considered it a little to claustrofobic for my taste, I love to play on a large gigantic maps, so a took a maptweaker and add some space to the north, south and east so more civilization and small islands can be placed in the mod.

I placed regions like Syberia, Alaska, westerns parts of Canada and USA - and also a small part of pacific coastlines of Southern America. Finally - some of the upper edges of Antarctica appears with some strategic reasources that anyone can claim.

Map is not very accurate, I mus admit it - it is extremely deformated projection of both the landmases and seas. To place everything I want without further increase of map size I have to dissorted some of the areas. For example - I do not want the eastern coast of Canada, Mexico and USA to be present but I want to have at least some part of Southern America, so final effect is much similar to projection such as this one map:

Spoiler :

I cut off also the Panama region, essencialy whole mezoamerica is not present, but maybe in the future I will release a slightly bigger map, where it will be present. You may also notice that some of the water (mostly: subpolar) of pacific Ocean have been compressed into much thiner area than they appears in a real world - I do this because I do not want to have large mass of waters where is no islands. Finally: since my mod was including elements of diesel-punk/thrilling-tale/oculltistic - a large part of Queen's Maud Land have to be compresed into small area in the corner of the screen, close to the Tierra Del Fuego. After all: German nation have to place its base of operations somewhere ;). New Zealand is much bigger than in a real world - especially in compare to Australia - this is as an oportunity for all the civilizations that have been preplaced with not enough "lebensraum", so they can take the islands from the Brits and create a new colony there, full of landspace and resources.

This is the ilustration that show which part of a real world have been included into my map (the red-markline figure):
Spoiler :

As you can find - file with map contains 3 version of pacific region. Geographically they are all the same, the main differance is the presence of cities/civilisations and resources (or lack of them).

The map with pre-placed cities and civs is created in a manner to represent Pacific region powers around XIX/XX century.

MOST OF THE CITIES/SETTLEMENT ARE FOR ORIENTATION PURPOSES ONLY! - for folks who can have some troubles with identyfying which bloody, tiny island on a middle od nowhere is representation of real life place and where it is. I also was using cities for mysefl - as a nexus and orientation point for where resources should be placed - so I apologize for any misplaced deposits - they were design in a way that every city could have most of the resources theyre region posses in a real life. This feature demand from me sometimes rearangation of deposits, so that all could be present and this may lead to some inacuracies with the real world.

Most of the cities are not developed or populated to the real-life levels of industrial age - as I said before, they are mostly for orientation/localization reasons.

Since I uploaded maps with no custom rules (there is even no perma-alliance between British Empire parts), here is desciption of countries I was using to represent all the industrial era powers in the Pacific:

- Russia in the north, to represent eighter Tzar's Empire or USSR
- Mongolia for Outher Mongolia region
- China (for themselves - without possesions such as Hong-Kong or Shang-Hai)
- Korea for Korean Empire/Korean wassal state under leadership of Japan Empire
- Japan for Empire od Japan with territorial status quo from before Russo-Japanese War
- Hettite for Empire of Siam

- Holand for Dutch East Indies
- Germany for far-east colonial empire of Prussia or the German Empire before 1st WW
- France for both French Indochina and Polynesia (as well as some of theire minor possesions outside the cetral Pacific)

- England to represent Australia and smaller oceanic possesion of the British Empire
- India for both the Burma and Hindu parts of the Crown
- Iroquis to represent Dominion of Canada
- Celts for New Zealand territories

- America (United States) to represent "imperium americana", consisted of Western Coast of USA, most of the Alaska and protectorates such as Hawai or Philipines (plus various other, smaller).
- Aztecs for Mexico
- Inca for Peru
- Maya for western part of Columbia
- Portugal as placeholder for Equador
- Spain as Chile
- Italy (Rome) as Argentina

PS. If I will have some spare time, I may add version of the map that will contain more resources that I were using in my mod - such as cement (for iron-concrete improvement and wonders of Industrial Age), copper, rice, pearls, crusteceans, REE, timber/sawmills etc. I also could add some custom rules from my scenario for terrains, since this one you can download now have some disadventages (as the basic rules of C3, saing that gold cannot be placed on deser or gems can't be found in tundra)

I've dl'd. It may be useful for a scenario from earlier periods as well.

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the game play decisions involved in how you designed the map. don't worry about the shape of the land masses being unrealistic. Any C3 map based on a globe is always going to be unrealistic simply because of the conversion from sphere to plane. Add onto that the unrealistic terrain - one tile can represent hundreds of miles on a map but there is rarely a forest, mountain range, or whatever on Earth that extends hundreds of miles in all directions. Make it fun & what works for you.

Remember also that North does not have to be at the top of the map. tilting the map may let you eliminate territories you don't want without too much distortion of the rest. This post has a brief explanation and some images of how the technique worked for one scenario.

Thank you for your kind words, I hope people find this map usefull and will enjoy it :)

Btw.

I forgot to mention it in a section about resources - peoples who will sweep this map with geological/economical/agro atlas with one hand and looking-glass in the other may find that in some pleces a awfull lot of some resources deposits had been placed - or resources such as tobacco are present on tiles where IRL there are no plantations of such goods.

This is bacause I imported this map from my mod, where I add more resources than those basic ones we can find in C3C. Some basic c3c resources are used as placeholders for those additional resources. As I wrote in the firts post - maybe in near (or further) future I will add also a version of the map with those additional deposits.

Now - a large number of gold deposits, especially, when they are near one another, are placeholders for elements such as Copper, Silver, sometimes Lead or platinides.

If iron ore is present somhere it should not be - it is probably because it is a placeholder for Nickel or Chromium, in my scenario I used single resource called Ore (just ore), for all the metals that are used to produce industrial age heavy-duty alloys such as steel or nickel-iron alloy.

Finally - some basic resources were used by me to represent income/production gathered in some cities/regions from other materials/plantations. This is mostly true for Tobacco - which I place at locations (mostly some pacific islands) where IRL crops such as kava-kava, coffe, yerba are planted.
In China, Japan and some parts of SA surplus presence of wheat is result of "placeholding" wheat for rice or soybeans.
Similar thing I've done with sugar res - it is placed to simulate cocoa plantations or similar "sweet-crops". In some case I made a exeption from this rule - and both coffe or cocoa are sometimes represent by Tropical Fruit resources.

So I have a message for any future users of my maps: If you don't like some of these res agregation - especially the strategic ones - because it feels weird or uncomfortable (too much graphical chaos on a map, to many sources of strategic elements in some map areas etc.) FELL FREE TO DELETE SOME OF THEM, I don't mind, resources purges are allowed ;)

PS. AND OHHHHHH!, one more thing :

UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO NOT BE ALARMED BY ELEPHANTS LIVING BEHIND NORTHERN POLAR CIRCLE :run:

They are actually dead - quite frozen or similar to the OWLS :D - they are not what they seems to be. I put Ivory resources in the far north to represent sources of raw material used for sculptures by some native communities, raw materials that are similar to elephant tusks but come from different animals - such as narvals, walruses - and most important: to mark places where ancient mammoth's ivory deposits are sometimes burried under large cover of ice and snow. In my scenario - I've change both the rules for ivory terrain placement (so they could appear on tundra tiles) and a map-icon (in place of elephants - a bundle of ivory-like "bones") to better represent this idea.

Because this is basic c3c map version - no custom rules placed - I have to improvised and I place those additional ivory deposits/animal sources as they are allowed by the basic rules - by locating them on a forest tiles. This may provoked false impression that there are actual elephant herds living in tajga forests. Well - as I said - they are not exactly alive.

UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DO NOT BE ALARMED BY ELEPHANTS LIVING BEHIND NORTHERN POLAR CIRCLE :run:

They are actually dead - quite frozen ... to mark places where ancient mammoth's ivory deposits are sometimes burried under large cover of ice and snow.
There are a few mammoth units (by Plotinus iirc). It would not take much work to adapt the 'pedia icon(s) to suitable resource icons. : )

Yeah, I belive it is possible. I didn't saw any narwal's graphics or icons in a database, but I remember there is plenty of walruses, so I'm thinking of creating some kind of combined graphic with all different sources of ivory, that way there will be no misunderstanding. ;-)

I belive the undead one mammoth from fantasy unit database could be a cool base for this, to better represent that this particular source of iveory is kaputt.

For the moment I'm using something like the pic in the attachement file.

I find it in AoI resources pack. I don't know what was it - I think some kind of sea monster/giant squid, rising with its tentacles above the water.

I redraw it a bit, so it could resambles different kinds of ivory, scattered around on the ground.

Attachments

• alt_ivory_res.pcx
    1.9 KB · Views: 216
Top Bottom