Paradise Lost

January 5th, 1987
Lebanon, UAS
Arabian POV

A few hours later, we crawled up to a large intersection. Burning and abandoned cars littered the street, mixed haphazardly in a sickening display of twisted metal, sparks flying from stray bullets. To our right and left, Spaniards manned machine guns, projectiles flying over our head or burying themselves into the sandbags in front of us. All along this makeshift defensive position, our comrades lay pinned down, many dead, many dying. The few courageously idiotic men who showed themselves were cut down without a second's hesitation, obliterated in a hailstorm of lead.

I knew that if my brethren were going to survive, they would have to be treated quickly. I yelled to Mac and Nauzem for them to do whatever they could to treat the injured, as I considered my own options. To my right was a small building, sporting an obnoxious sign advertising a fireworks sale in some rather distasteful combinations of colors. On my left was a bombed out ghost of a structure. It appeared my decision had been made for me.

Slowly and surely, I edged my way towards the right end of the sandbag wall, preparing to make my dash to the building entrance. The distance from my position to the glass revolving door stretched like a minefield before me, laden with not mines but attentive, trigger-happy, and pissed-off Communists.

I would have preferred the former.

From the video games I had been addicted to in my youth, I knew that what I needed here was a smoke grenade. Instead, I needed a little ingenuity.

Quickly, I whipped off my helmet and hurled it into the middle of the intersection, the movement of this spherical object distracting the machine-gunners at least a little. It wasn't much, but it was all I had to work with.

And so I ran.

I'm going to go back and revise some of the earlier chapters, I'll probably post another installment later tonight.

January 5th, 1987
Lebanon, UAS
Arabian POV

I ran at superhuman speed, legs pumping with startling quickness.

Time slowed.

As I neared the automatic doors, a slight movement in my left peripheral caught my eye. Glancing over, I saw an old man peering down his sights, a slight grin spreading across his rough face.

Time sped.

I was a few mere steps away from the entrance when the bullets flew.

Whizzing by, mere centimeters from my back, they buried themselves in the wall to my right. I was still running full pace, inching, it seemed, towards my survival. The bullets kept tearing by, falling barely behind me; my heart pumped with obscene ferocity, the adrenaline pouring into my veins.

Closer, closer…

At last I was close. Still running at full speed towards the doorway, I waited for the doors to open so that I could dive in.

Four steps away.

Still waiting.

Three steps away.

Beginning to worry.

Two steps away.

What the hell?

One step away.

The doors were still closed. Reaching my right hand forward, I prepared to push them in, hoping there would be some emergency clasp.

And then it hit.

An artillery shell, perhaps fired by the Spaniards, screamed down to the ground, landing on the opposite side of the intersection. Distracted, I looked back over my shoulder, forgetting about my forward momentum, as well as the glass door in front of me. As I glanced rearward, I slowed down and was hit in my left leg, just below the kneecap.

My shin exploded in a bubble of blood and bone, and I tripped forward, crashing facefirst through the thick glass and flaring into the building.

I reached forward blindly, attempting in vain to break my fall. With a loud crack my forehead hit the tiled floor, my entire body driven into the ground, covered with shards of glass.

Time stopped.

Ouch. Not a cool way to die, that. Assuming he's dead, of course. Very well-told story you have here.

I'm back again. 6 month-long hiatuses seem to be the norm for me... no longer! I wonder if this site is even alive anymore?

Nonetheless! The story shall continue!

Great to see at least one familiar face, 502.

Interesting question... I suppose we'll have to wait and see?

Top Bottom