[Col] PCGamer: Revisiting Colonization, Sid Meier's overlooked resource juggler

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
PCGamer has published an article about another game which is dear to us: The original Colonization. In this article the author writes about it was in the shadow of civ, about the struggles of resouce management, dealing with the natives, the lackluster combat and obviously the one-more-turn feeling.

An excerpt:
“For an indecisive player like me, it’s torture. I can’t possibly do everything at once but I’ll sure as bloody hell try. Shall I sell this baccy in London or potter around trying to find a native capital with which to trade? Do I buy tools or manufacture them myself? Shall I throw my cargo of rum into the harbour and tell the king to bugger off or accept the latest rise in tax? Do I waste time annoying the French for the sake of it or not?“

You can read the whole article here: https://www.pcgamer.com/sid-meiers-...com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow

I hope one gets made one day but yeah it does seem a bit unlikely in todays world sadly. At the very least they'd probably have to make some changes similar to what happened with the Age of Empires 3 remaster and some of the changes probably would probably affect gameplay which some wouldn't like eg a lot of the people joining my Col groups say they love playing as the Spanish for their native pillaging bonuses. However on the flip side I also see a lot of people saying they prefer to trade & help the native factions while fighting the other Europeans instead, so those players would be fine with changes that tone down the attractiveness of native conquest.

Funny this should come up as this weekend I've literally been looking at Colonization themed scenarios for Civ2 for my Civ video series and faced a similar but worse situation where one of the best looking scenarios I was doing a big tribute to was using all sorts of current day inappropriate words for native peoples so I had to cut out each time the words appeared in the video otherwise I'll be dragging myself into a situation on youtube I don't wanna be in.

Top Bottom