Performance observations on new computer.

Larsenex

King
I rebuilt a new computer specifically for 4x games such as Civ6 and Gal Civ III and Xcom2. All three of these games are 64 bit games.

I am happy to report that my load from 'resume game' on Yanamps >Giant maps with 12 civs (left) is very quick being about 10 seconds.

Previously on my old system the load from a huge map with 12 civs would be about 2 even 4 minutes if not more. Also turn times are zippy and very fast with zero wait time after I hit the turn button.

My old system:
I3570K (4cores only 4 threads) OC'd to 4.1
16 gigs of DDR3
GTX 970 (4 gigs of ram)
All installed on a Samsung 850 evo ssd.

New system:
I8700K (6 cores/12 threads) OC'd to 4.7
32 gigs of DDR 4 PC 3200
GTX 1070 (8 gigs of ram)
All installed on a new Samsung 850 Evo ssd

OS is Win 10 Pro

Again I am amazed when I open the resource monitor that workloads are distributed among all 12 threads! This is very good news!

Anyone else notice this?

Oh and I am LOVING Rise and Fall. I have one DLC left to purchase which i believe is Nubia and will pick it up on Saturday.

Kudos to the Fanatics here on the mods they do,

Thank you!

(new to Win 10) What is "game mode"?
Google is your friend:
Spoiler :

Microsoft has introduced Game Mode with Windows 10 Creators Update, which is meant to help optimise your PC's gaming performance. It does this by reallocating your system resources towards the game app. At the same time, Game Mode also prevents any other programs from hogging CPU and GPU cycles.

It's geared more for lower end systems that are on the system requirement margins for particular games.

It's geared more for lower end systems that are on the system requirement margins for particular games.

You mean like mine.

Firaxis+2K have certainly made Civ VI more multi-threaded than Civ V. You can tell from the way the game hangs (or used to hang) in certain circumstances (when using the Diplomacy screen for example).

But for map generation they've been kinda lazy, as it only occurs at the start of the game. There's a AnalyzeChokepoints function that is EXPTIME or worse. That is it grows exponentially with the size of the map. So a 200x100 takes a few minutes to generate. But a map twice as large (like the United Nations Earth map) can take more than 15 mins.

I spent 2100.00 then another 550 for the GTX 1070. All the parts I shopped from I got from Newegg.
My last kid is 18 so I was able to have this expenditure planned in February. I last year kid needed braces so that killed last year. Thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom