Petition: Make "Modular XML Loading" active by default.

Jean Elcard

The Flavournator
We were talking about Modular XML Loading in this thread recently.

For some reason you have to set ModularLoading = 1 first in the Civilization4.ini file to use mods using the new modular XML approach introduced by Beyond the Sword. There is consensus that this is major inconvenience many people will probably stumble over.

As far as it is known, there is no drawback to an activation of this parameter. So please set it to active by default.

I agree. I don't see why it even needs to be an option, to be honest.

I prefer it off.

1. It has a slight slowdown impact on loading the game; and
2. Modders who write mods using MXL should supply their own ini file with the switch on.

You mean it is possible to overwrite the value of ModularLoading by putting simply an extra entry into the ini file in the mod's folder? I surely have to try this.

EDIT1: Tried and failed. I really wouldn't like to replace the original "CvilizationIV.ini" if I don't have to. Is it that what you were trying to suggest Dale?

Crap you're right. I thought is was in the mod's ini file. Seems absolutely STUPID that it's not. That way it could've been controlled on a mod by mod basis.

Seems we have two solutions now, that would be acceptable:
  1. Set ModularLoading = 1 in the CivilizationIV.ini
  2. Allow to control the value of ModularLoading via the mod specific ini.
My vote goes for the second solution, because this one prevents Civilization from slowing down (even if it is marginally), when it is not necessary. Essentially there is no dawback at all, if Firaxis would decide to go for the second one.

Well, considering there is a slowdown, I think the second option would be better.

Top Bottom