Physical impossibility (pic inside)

Martin Alvito

Real men play SMAC
One line of code in the map generation script is all it would take to prevent this.

Attachments

• WTF.jpg
    WTF.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 1,212
At least no one else can get it.

How is that a physical impossibilty? Those are snow tiles and snow only melts at about 3'C. Water freezes at 0'C. Therefore, you have managed to accurately measure the temperature of that area. Either that or Lake Victoria is a massive geyser

Its when i generate desert next to tundra/snow i get confused (and yes i have done several times)

There are plenty of cold deserts around the world.

One line of code in the map generation script is all it would take to prevent this.
I agree. Lake Victoria is in central Africa and shouldn't spawn in the arctic region on a Civ 5 map.
Most wonders make checks for surrounding terrain tiles. It fits few wonders to spawn in snow and ice, so I wonder why the code doesn't include a check against these surroundings more often.
If it causes placement problems on an Ice Age map, then the Ice Age mapscript can just have its own rules for wonder placement, overriding the default ones.
So I really wonder why we're having this, I've also had Lake Victoria appear completely surrounded by snow and it's stupid.

I've seen Lake Victoria spawn in snow 3 times xD

But it was glorious seeing it spawn in grasslands just once, of course I became a runaway cuz of it.

I agree. Lake Victoria is in central Africa and shouldn't spawn in the arctic region on a Civ 5 map.
I also did some reading on Wikipedia and found out that George Washington wasn't alive in 4000 BC. He was not even a baby.

Most wonders make checks for surrounding terrain tiles. It fits few wonders to spawn in snow and ice, so I wonder why the code doesn't include a check against these surroundings more often.
If it causes placement problems on an Ice Age map, then the Ice Age mapscript can just have its own rules for wonder placement, overriding the default ones.
So I really wonder why we're having this, I've also had Lake Victoria appear completely surrounded by snow and it's stupid.

Cool, a vote for hard-coded, predictable maps in an ahistorical, randomized game.

If you want geographical accuracy, there are scenarios you can play.

I have had it spawn in an arctic region. At first I thought it was suppose to. After all were do you need food more than in the tundra where you are likely to find Iron, Aluminum and uranium.

Then I had it generate else where, so I figured it was likely a bit weird.

I think its worse, when one of the Wonders are in the middle of the ocean, totally out of range of any habitable land tile.

I think its worse, when one of the Wonders are in the middle of the ocean, totally out of range of any habitable land tile.

Pretty much every time I see Krakatoa it is in the middle of the ocean :mad:

I'm inclined to agree that Lake Victoria shouldn't spawn in ice. If they can make it so most of the +faith natural wonders only spawn in desert, they can certainly fix this.

While they're fixing that they should add a few more lines of code:

Krakatoa should spawn within 3 tiles of land, so it's possible to have it in a city.

All natural wonders should spawn at least 3 tiles from a CS. It gets really old to have the majority of them spawn within the borders of CSs on most maps I play. I don't mind if once in a while a CS gets one, just not with the frequency they do now.

Would also be nice if they'd figure out a way to make the Great Barrier Reef either 1 tile or only count as one natural wonder. Get it first as Spain = woo hoo!

Maybe in that world Lake Victoria is a salt water lake?
That was my first thought, since both the Arctic and Antarctica have saline lakes which never freeze (even in winter.) However, if the lake was that salty it wouldn't be supporting 6 food resources.

I would go with the suggestion of volcanism: either hot springs or geothermal vents. However, that might affect water chemistry which (in the absence of a river draining the lake) could kill any fish. Such is the case in some Icelandic lakes.

Top Bottom