Pitboss WebStats Proof of Concept - Curious About Interest

What do you think?

• I am interested in this and have my own PHP/MySQL server that I would run this on.

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • I am interested, but I do not have a webserver. I would like to use a public site to display stats.

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • I like the idea, but I wouldn't use it.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don't like the idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe this could be a known problem where you need to make sure you are using a different username and password combination for each uploader you run.

MooManof is correct about the issue - it's caused by using the same username/password combo on a second game. A lot of people got confused about what the user/pass for the upload is for, and think that it has to be the same as your login to the site. The user/pass thing was just a way of generating a unique identifier for your game so people didn't upload to the same gameid. The new system requires you to "add" the game to the page first and is a lot less confusing because of that.

However, this can happen even when you DO set a different user/pass in a second profile, and that's because of a couple serious bugs in the uploader that I just recently identified. The bottom line is the multiple-profiles support is a bit broken in the latest release. I have already fixed that, however, and am polishing up the next version of the uploader, which has a lot of changes in the way data is uploaded. This will also be the first version that asks you to enter your "Game ID" instead of a "username."

I will release it some time tonight, so keep an eye on this thread.

I would consider this release to be the first real "beta" release, whereas the previous releases were more like alphas.

Important New Version of Uploader

As the gigantic font above says, there is an important new version of the uploader. Here are the main changes:
  • I fixed some major bugs that happened when you tried to upload the stats from more than one pitboss game at a time. Now it's perfectly safe to run more than one at a time, and there's even some logic to ensure you don't load the same profile twice.
  • The "Upload Username" has been changed to "GameID" - Instead of putting a username in that field, you should put the GameID assigned to you by the server. (You can tell what yours is by going to your game stats page and looking at the URL. It'll be something like viewgame.php?gameid=5
  • This version of the uploader uploads a timestamp with every upload, instead of letting the server timestamp it when it uploads. This means that if for some reason the uploads stop working (let's say your internet connection goes down) but stuff is still happening in the server (on a LAN maybe?) then when your internet connection comes back, all of the data will upload at once but they will have the proper time listed in the game log. This will probably not help anyone ever since it's an obscure circumstance, but it's still cleaner! Note that this means it's important for your server's clock and timezone to be set correctly.
  • A few other tweaks that make it cleaner and better.

IglooDude - I felt bad about your game stats getting all messed up, so I went through the database and removed the bad entries by hand. It's back to its old awesomeness. :)

I started the new uploader and tried to rename the default profile. The rename box dialogue wouldn't go away when I typed soemthing, and just kept reopening each time I hit "Ok" or "cancel." I couldn't even X it out, so I had to kill it with task manager.

using the default profile I was able to get CINvilization up though.

Fosse said:
I started the new uploader and tried to rename the default profile. The rename box dialogue wouldn't go away when I typed soemthing, and just kept reopening each time I hit "Ok" or "cancel." I couldn't even X it out, so I had to kill it with task manager.

using the default profile I was able to get CINvilization up though.

Strange... I haven't actually tested the rename feature in several versions so it's possible I broke it along the way. I'll take a look.

You could in the mean time simply open up your ini file (while the upload is not running) and change the [default] header to whatever you want your profile named.

OverloadUT said:
Important New Version of Uploader

As the gigantic font above says, there is an important new version of the uploader. Here are the main changes:
  • I fixed some major bugs that happened when you tried to upload the stats from more than one pitboss game at a time. Now it's perfectly safe to run more than one at a time, and there's even some logic to ensure you don't load the same profile twice.
  • The "Upload Username" has been changed to "GameID" - Instead of putting a username in that field, you should put the GameID assigned to you by the server. (You can tell what yours is by going to your game stats page and looking at the URL. It'll be something like viewgame.php?gameid=5
  • This version of the uploader uploads a timestamp with every upload, instead of letting the server timestamp it when it uploads. This means that if for some reason the uploads stop working (let's say your internet connection goes down) but stuff is still happening in the server (on a LAN maybe?) then when your internet connection comes back, all of the data will upload at once but they will have the proper time listed in the game log. This will probably not help anyone ever since it's an obscure circumstance, but it's still cleaner! Note that this means it's important for your server's clock and timezone to be set correctly.
  • A few other tweaks that make it cleaner and better.

IglooDude - I felt bad about your game stats getting all messed up, so I went through the database and removed the bad entries by hand. It's back to its old awesomeness. :)

You are officially my favorite freeware developer now. :goodjob:

I'll try getting the CDZ one going again this afternoon - I had a power outage yesterday that downed both pitboss games. :(

Thanks about the .ini note.

what about creating a New profile, in order to run a second game?

Oops! I didn't realize it was that broken. I had put in some logic to make sure you don't use invalid characters in the profile name (any character that can't be used in a filename) but I accidentially made it so that you can only use a profile name that DOES have invalid characters! :mischief:

Regardless, this means that:
Uploader Version 0.8.0.10 Released
Same link as above. The only change is fixing that bug.

Never mind, you can just copy the lines and add them to the .ini manually. No biggie.

OverloadUT said:
Regardless, this means that:
Uploader Version 0.8.0.10 Released
Same link as above. The only change is fixing that bug.

Question...since we use the game # now in the uploader, does that mean we can use the "Add Game" functionality at the web site? I assume the answer is 'yes' but I wanted to make sure. :)

Bernout

That is correct. "Add Game" is now the preferred method for adding a new game, as it sets you up as the game administrator instead of me having to do it by hand.

I will be disabling the old method of adding new games, and then after enough time has passed, I will be disabling the old method of uploading current games (that is, using the user/pass thing instead of a gameid/pass)

Since you're busy enough, I thought it might be time for another feature request! ;)

I've now started a game that is only using CivStats, and its up to the players to claim their civs to get turn emails. This has led me to wish for two things:

1 - The ability for game admins to see who has and who has not registered their civs. It might be useful for players to, so they don't send diplomacy messages out into the void of a player who has never even been to Civstats.

2 - The little pbnotify trick that minimizes both itself and Pitboss to the system tray. If it could reach out and grab the "launch" window as well... that'd be awesome.

And a question: does the player get any sort of notification when a Civstats diplomacy message is delivered? It seems that it could be easy to overlook them sometimes if you don't get into the habit of checking.

The improvments to the uploader and the site itself have been great.

Fosse

Well I've got good news for you. :)

You can tell which players have registered by going to "Player Settings" in the admin tools for your game. It also allows you to "unregister" a player in case someone goes AWOL and you get a replacement.

Also, if you try to send a diplomacy message to a player that is not registered, a giant red banner shows across the top of the page that says: "Nobody has registered as this player. You should remind them to! You can still send a message now and they will get it when they register."

And yes, it sends you an email notification when you get a diplomatic message, although players can choose not to.

As for the minimizing thing - yeah, I'll implement that. I originally didn't because I felt there was no need to duplicate what pbnotify does, but now that I have my own turn notification I suppose I should do that. I did originally want to be able to hide the console window as well, but I'm not sure there is a good way to do this. The title of the window can change depending on the shortcut you make to run it, so I'm not sure how else to reliably detect it. Perhaps it has its own unique class.... That would work. I'll check in to it.

One of the games I'm playing is using the apartment167 address and not the civstats address which means I can't register my game. Is there a reason for this? And will I be able to register these games with all my other games in the future?

So - I had this player who just couldn't stop bugging me with this civstat thing, so I just had to implement it to shut him up: http://civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=65

Well - All is good. I guess I have to give you thumbs up :)

One thing though - when setting up the game, you are supposed to choose map type. We are playing on a custom smartmap map - but there is no way to choose "custom" or "other" in your drop-down menu.

Best regards
Bjarne

mickeyj said:
One of the games I'm playing is using the apartment167 address and not the civstats address which means I can't register my game. Is there a reason for this? And will I be able to register these games with all my other games in the future?
The apartment167 address has been stagnated since version 7 was first released. If you tell your game admin to transfer to a newer version, I would suggest that Overlord may be able to transfer the relevant info over.
Although why both addresses don't point to the same folder on the same server, I don't know. Surely that would prevent problems like this, and it would mean that both addresses show the up-to-date information. If the newer uploaders are phasing out the A167 address, then once the older uploaders become obselete (and as such no longer compatible with the server software), then you could just drop the old A167 address.

On a slightly different note, the 'Site News' section shouldn't really be displying the list of games any more. It should be displaying release announcements instead. Also, how many people have gone to www.civstats.com without knowing about this thread, and have thus been unable to find and download the uploader. There should be a link in the top bar near the login links.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Overload. I just never saw them!

About minimizing the window... would a ridiculous hacky workaround like having the player input the name of the window work? A little button that says, "garbage extra Pitboss Window Name," then you enter it, then ta-da! It's gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom