Pitch Your Civilization Icon Idea

For an african empire, I propose the Dahomey empire under Agaja. The icon would be a Caravel. My reason is that a caravel is how Agaja was represented in Dahomey history. He was known for his contact with European nations, and thus Euorpean ships would show up in Dahomey to collect slaves.

TIL that Bulgaria under Simeon would be much more culturally and scientifically oriented than Hungary, and I am now a supporter.

So, in that case, I'm throwing that in as the lion rampant icon.

The lion would be a good, if a bit forgettable, choice for a Bulgarian civ symbol. I'd personally go with the Pliska rosette (currently used for the Preslav city state) or the Dulo clan sigil (but that could cause a bit of controversy).

Since it's kind of been confirmed that Vietnam might make it in the game I think that a nón lá (Vietnamese traditional conical hat) would make a good icon.
Something to differentiate it from the Chinese dragon and the current star on the flag doesn't scream Vietnam.

Put some of my own designs together for some of the civs currently absent in the game:

upload_2020-8-4_0-41-53.png

left to right, up to down: Lakota/Sioux, Parthia, Mughals, Gaul, Assyria, Byzantium, Burma, Bulgaria & Argentina.

So, in this thread, the game is to propose the inclusion of a new civilization in upcoming VI expansions.
I would advocate a Gilded Age USA leader (mckinley?) that could use the freemason iconography / the eye of providence.
The ARC icon from beyond earth is, in my opinion, the best icon ever designed by FXS.
Put some of my own designs together for some of the civs currently absent in the game:
Those are very impressive.

These look phenomenal, especially the Sioux and Parthian ones. I like the Assyrian design, but I might go with the red and blue from the Assyrian flag (red/blue and white have both been used quite enough by now, thanks :p ). It's a little similar to Korea, but that's what alternate jerseys are for. (I actually hate to make that suggestion because we don't have nearly enough purple jerseys in the game...)

I would advocate a Gilded Age USA leader (mckinley?) that could use the freemason iconography / the eye of providence.
A lot of American presidents were associated with Freemasonry. Considering it's on our money, it could probably work as the US symbol regardless of president chosen. McKinley's not a particularly iconic president--in fact, I'd say he's a president anyone but a history nerd probably generally forgets exists; he'd seem like a strange choice to me.

These look phenomenal, especially the Sioux and Parthian ones. I like the Assyrian design, but I might go with the red and blue from the Assyrian flag (red/blue and white have both been used quite enough by now, thanks :p ). It's a little similar to Korea, but that's what alternate jerseys are for. (I actually hate to make that suggestion because we don't have nearly enough purple jerseys in the game...)
Oh my alt jersey colour for Assyria is purple hang on a sec: maybe this can wet ur whistle:
upload_2020-8-4_9-0-39.png

I've couple of other ones in my excel archives, hang on:

upload_2020-8-4_9-1-19.png
upload_2020-8-4_9-1-36.png
upload_2020-8-4_9-5-54.png
upload_2020-8-4_9-1-56.png
upload_2020-8-4_9-2-18.png
upload_2020-8-4_9-2-36.png
upload_2020-8-4_9-3-20.png
upload_2020-8-4_9-3-33.png

Hittites, Russia (Kievan Rus'), Russia (Tzarist), France (Merovingians), France (Carolingians), Armenia, Greece (Athens), Greece (Sparta)

I've couple of other ones in my excel archives, hang on:

The Kievan trident would look so good as a civ icon. I've always liked it. It's in the golden zone between being too minimalist and too complex.

View attachment 565069

left to right, up to down: Lakota/Sioux, Parthia, Mughals, Gaul, Assyria, Byzantium, Burma, Bulgaria & Argentina.

That Byzantium icon looks really easily confused with Georgia's.

I always imagined Burma having grey and green colors, since the Burmese peacock is grey and it helps better differentiate from India's colors. The icon looks good though. In fact aside from Parthia looking a little busy they're all very good mockups.

Glad you like them :) They're very easy to make as well, around 5-10 minutes each. So, how about a little impromptu tutorial?

Spoiler :

I use Microsoft Excel. To start you'll need an icon that has either a transparent background or a background in ONE colour (this is important). The colour of the icon itself doesn't matter. The ones that are black silhouettes are the best choice, but you can use stylized icons as well if you wish.

Anyway C+P (or DL & import) your image into Microsoft Excel
upload_2020-8-4_22-55-5.png

First you need to change the colour of your icon into the desired colour. Black icons provide the best results here (you can turn your icon into a black silhouette using some of the options available).
If your icon does not have a transparent background, you can change background colour to transparent here: I've highlighted the tab because I doubt your Dutch is as good as mine. You can also use the same option to change the colour of your icon if you dislike the colour options shown here:
upload_2020-8-4_22-57-7.png

The colours you pick from can be changed in this tab:
upload_2020-8-4_23-10-31.png

be aware that if you change a colour it WILL change the colour of ANY icon using that colour as well.

Anyway, the next step is to crop the image in a circle shape. If you icon is a perfect square, it will turn into a perfect circle. Adapt the sizes of your icon if needed to ensure height and width are equal.

upload_2020-8-4_23-4-42.png

Afterwards, fill in the background with a colour of your choice. I would recommend using a colour gradient between your chosen colour at the edges and a lighter shade in the middle.

upload_2020-8-4_23-5-15.png

Then you can play around if you want to. I usually add a shadow and call it a day. You can also add 3D effects which I've done below, which look cool on some icons and REALLY REALLY ugly on others.

Here's the final result, which is btw also my suggestion for Egypt :)

upload_2020-8-4_23-4-7.png

Happy icon making ^_^

Here's my concept for a Hawaiian Civ Icon, using the Hawaiian coat of arms (the kahili and two crossed paddles)
Hawaii.png

Decided to make another icon, this time for the Navajo, using the thunderbird as the symbol
thunderbird.png

Decided to make another icon, this time for the Navajo, using the thunderbird as the symbol
View attachment 565885
I love the icon but I agree it doesn't scream Navajo as much as it could for any western Native American tribe.

I'd personally go with a stylized Navajo blanket or maybe even a stylized version of Window Rock.

Thunderbird reads as Anishinaabe to me. But it still makes for a very nice icon.
I love the icon but I agree it doesn't scream Navajo as much as it could for any western Native American tribe.

I'd personally go with a stylized Navajo blanket or maybe even a stylized version of Window Rock.

Yeah honestly I was iffy on using the Thunderbird myself. If anything I could see them using the Navajo symbol for the All-Seeing Eye .
Screenshot_2020-08-11 navajo symbol - Google Search.png

Alright here's the mockup for the Navajo icon using the All-Seeing eye symbol
67eba570a785e5de700670dbb4361b92.png

Here's some ideas for potential Oceania civs (I couldn't find a lot of good ones on these)

Spoiler Tonga/Tu'i Tonga Empire :
The Tonga symbol could be simply the flag
Or It could be the plus in it due to it being historical to a certain extent.
The cross is also in the Tu'i Tonga Empire's flag

Spoiler Pohnpei (Nan Madol) :
Ponhpei's icon could be the turtle like in the City State of Nan Madol atm

or some simplified version of the Pohnpei flag

Spoiler Hawaii :
The most likely of this would be, by far the symbol on the Kanaka Maoli Flag

For Tonga, I am partial to using their national flower: the Heilala (Gracinia Selissis). The problem is, icons for this flower are pretty much non-existent, so while I did make a mock-up Tongan Icon, I use the Vanilla flower instead (which is apt as Vanilla is one of Tonga's main export products). I think it looks pretty cool in various colours:

upload_2020-8-15_14-29-22.png

I'm also partial towards using a sandy colour as the main colour for a polynesian civ. Especially the one with the blue flower looks pretty <3

For Tonga, I am partial to using their national flower: the Heilala (Gracinia Selissis). The problem is, icons for this flower are pretty much non-existent, so while I did make a mock-up Tongan Icon, I use the Vanilla flower instead (which is apt as Vanilla is one of Tonga's main export products). I think it looks pretty cool in various colours:

View attachment 566213

I'm also partial towards using a sandy colour as the main colour for a polynesian civ. Especially the one with the blue flower looks pretty <3

I couldn’t find anything other than the cross but the Vanilla flower could be a good one.

Top Bottom