1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Placement of 2nd Spanish City

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Gameplay' started by blastoidstalker, Apr 22, 2008.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

There were two points:
    1. Sessions too long
    2. Too long between sessions
    Even if you answer point 2, what about point 1? We're playing more than twice the amount of turns we "normally" do, and I'm not comfortable with the message it sends.

2. Bertie

Bertie Prince

I agree with this. Long sessions at the beginning of a game make sense; right around now is when we should be cutting them back to 10 turns per session (give or take). And we absolutely should be trying to play more than one turnset a week. Long term planning actually makes it easier to play more turnsets per week. I think it may improve roleplay, too. More things happening per week means more roleplay opportunities.

3. Seymoo

Seymoo The Sexmaster General

I think we should attacke when it is most possible and not wait for tech trading oppurtunities. Too many times I wait too long for the "perfect" time to go to war. We risk ruining our chances of victiory for the gain of a couple of relatively cheap techs

4. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

We simply watch the copper before we strike. Its that simple. If we are at risk having Spanish connecting copper before we do the trades, we need to declare war. Other than that, we should secure trades before we war.

5. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

23 turns is a bit long isn't it for a turnchat? 15 would be better (or when something major happens.)

6. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

The Allphabet session would be a historical vacuum, but we will make clear that if a number of conditions are met, we would stop the chat immediately.

1. New Nations are met
    2. Major Event that has options to choose from (doesn't count if we cannot afford options)
    3. War declared on our continent
    4. Build queues in a city come to an end
    5. Run out of worker actions
    6. Location of Arkadia city site made unavailable

I am not really for picking an arbitrary stop in a session, when no real new options are made available. After Alphabet, we can decide on a strategy where we discuss what trades to be done with what nation in what sequence and so on, before we attack the Spanish (ideally no more techs to trade by then). Of course, you are from the opposition, so you got a vested interest to stop it there. But for the overall story-arch of the game, we are all better off concluding Alphabet, then go into short sessions mode.

The next 23 turns would seem to be quite uneventful, unless

7. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

My 2 cents. I am new to this site but have played many Dgames at my past sites. For the most part we played 10 turn play sessions unless a major event happened. The gov't officials then had 72 hours to turn in their reports (build qeues, tech path, worker actions, etc.). Then the leader had 72 hours to play the turns. I found this to be a good balance of gameplay to RP. It also fits the mold of 50 turns per month (10 per week + 10 flexible turns to finish techs, etc) that I thought was in the original platform. If my memory serves me right, don't have time to search the threads.

It also strikes me odd that the turnplayers do not write turn reports after the gameplay sessions. Basicly a gameplay/RP analysis of what transpired in the turnsession through the eyes of the turnplayer. It puts all important game progress into one thread instead of spreading it throughout multiple ones.

8. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

Ballazic said he was going to do this for the last session; I have not seen him put it up yet.

9. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I look forward to it. It also helps lead the RP if the turnplayer is a Roleplayer.

10. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

I'm with Lord Civius and DS and others calling for a slow down or a moderating of the length of play sessions. I have a problem making the time frame of the current play sessions.

I also would like to see all screenshots done using Imageshack, as that sight isn't on any filters for work internet security ;)

Breaks in the action would really help those of us who can't make the turn sessions keep up with what's going on. RPing stories and histories are hard when you have thousands of years come at you in huge chunks.

As to the Spanish city...It must be raised for the sake of Arkadia's future development!

Further, execute the war with three goals in mind:
    1) Raze that city near the dye.
    2) Take out her capital with is most likely the home of Hinduism.
    3) Keep her away from the copper site in the South.

Caviat: If doing the above leaves her with one poorly defended city...take her out!

11. blastoidstalker

blastoidstalker The Geographer

I agree with those here that we are getting to the stage of slowing down turn sessions. In defense of what has been done before, in succession games the early turnsets are often longer. But we are far enough along now to have a turnset in the 10-15 turnrange.
    Unlike a succesion game though i do not think we should put a set limit,as it is nice to stop games at natural decision points. In my opinion a a natural stopping point between 10-16 turns would make sense, amybe this is after a unit build instead of a tech this time or maybe it is after scouting is done.

12. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Yes, major events should always halt gameplay. Although I like the idea of using tech gains as a turnplay stop. It gives us time to discuss trade options and what tech we should research next. While it is good to have a research path it should be evaluated after each tech as circumstances sometimes change.