Playground Mod

Hmm, have you figured out what might be causing it? (send me an autosave)

Ok, fixed the problem. DL this and put it where it should go. (text folder)

Attachments

• PediaIcons.txt
    144.4 KB · Views: 989
Ok, worker upgrades!

Chase worker

Girls worker

BU worker

UF worker

Reb worker

Horse worker

Char worker

GWC worker

Barbs worker

Asian worker:
FA worker

Zombie worker in EFZI2:
Senso worker

Staff already has an upgraded worker (just add 1 movement point)

Basically what I plan to do is to make them specialize in a task. Like the Horse worker may run faster, the Senso worker can defend, Barbarian worker has the HN flags and can't attack (and thus can't be killed), BU worker work faster, etc.

And should we do what the EFZI people did and make the leader upgrade into like a "Warrior-King" or something? Like upgrade them into more efficient combat units in addition to their leadership skills?

Love the workers. The satyr for Horse is just hilarious. I'm really glad the Chase worker is female, to help represent the fact that Chase doesn't fit into the same boy/girl dichotomy as most of the other civs.

I think the "Champion" upgrade concept for great leaders makes sense for this mod. They could be kids who have proven themselves to be exceptional fighters. Armies are so overpowered in Conquests that it's an attractive idea to get rid of them anyway. Is the Heroic Epic or equivalent in this mod? I forget. If it is, just be sure to get rid of the victorious army requirement for it.

I assume each civ would get a different champion? Perhaps the champions could upgrade over the course of the game as well, kind of like the Daimyo in the Sengoku conquest.

Yep. It's part of the "mixed" category. There's the Boys, the Girls, the Staff, and the Mixed. Chase and Senso are in the Mixed.

Yeah... But I've added a SW that spawns armies, so maybe the AI would actually use them. They do use armies, just not very well. So I'll probably decrease it's unit holding capacity to 1 or 2, and let the pentagon equivalent increase it to 2 or 3. I'm more of thinking that they upgrade into a unit that is powerful fighter alone, or they can do whatever an army does on its own. The current way its set up is that the leader itself can fight and enslave workers, so there is a benefit to keeping them around instead of using them immediately.

I'm thinking that too. But the way I'm thinking of doing it would make them upgrade at the beginning of the era, and when they upgrade, they would be only slightly more powerful than the standard units of the end of the era. That way they can't single-handedly slaughter hordes of units in the next era.

Another issue is that they would appear on the top of the stack (what I don't want, as they are some sort of general that has their men fight first). The way around this is the use of the "King" flag. But, the use of this flag will cause the player to lose if they lose one of them in a Regicide game. A mass regicide, a player can then lose all of their original king units, as long as they have some of the champions still alive. Which either way, I don't like. This will be a bit harder to implement compared to EFZI because of the mod nature, rather than a scenario nature.

I like the upgrading leader idea, but not so much the them being kings idea, cause I really don't want to lose game while I'm winning just cause leader-man got himself killed.
Yeah, but I also like the idea of them being able to hide behind others when under attack, even though they are clearly stronger than them.

So... Now there's the "just barely stronger than a normal unit" leader upgrade option... But not a pansy and hides behind others. But if killed won't cause you to lose.

Maybe make them offense-based units with relatively low defense. Giving them lower defense is the only way I can think of to make them stay off the top of the stack without making them king units. Just have the leader have slightly less defense than the best defense unit of the era. Of course you'd probably have to keep hit points low as well, since the game will put a unit with less defense but more HP on top of stacks.

But...with less defense and only average HP, that would make the leaders kind of lame.

The king unit idea works fine, as long as you don't play regular regicide. You could just let it be known that this mod is not compatible with Regicide, but is with Mass Regicide.

Well, the issue with Mass Regicide is that your main "kings" can all die, and then you'd just live off of those Generals. Which I don't like, because then the leader names don't match, no main kings (just generals running around), and with the issue of generals always fighting amongst themselves for power, which doesn't happen in Civ.

Well then you may just have to let the champions be on top of unit stacks. It makes sense anyway. I imagine them being as the types to be the first ones to charge into battle. The real general ordering things from the rear is you, the player, so having a unit supposedly filling that role seems unnecessary.

Yeah, but the player would still get mad if that unit was killed off by a Photon Ballista or a Suicide bomber just because it had to be brave and sit at the top of the stack.

There's no honor in dying from bombardment. :p

I'm not too fond of lethal land bombardment anyway. You're sure you want that in the game?

At any rate, there doesn't seem to be a good solution. Either the leader heads the stack and gets killed easily, or the leader has low defense, or the leader is a king unit and causes regicide problems. I can't think of a fourth option at the moment.

Yeah. Otherwise bombers would have low value (because they can be shot down), and artillery would be less useful. Early on there isn't any lethal bombard though. Only later on.

I could just make 2 versions. One with the upgrading generals (no regicide though), and one without them altogether (standard mod).

EDIT: Oooh! And this is post #6,666!

Bah, just let the leaders be on top of the stack. The AI's too incompetent with artillery to kill more than the occasional leader. And if the player's really worried about losing such important units, they can just turn them into armies.

That is too true. The AI is rather incompetent with bombardment. The real danger would be in multiplayer.

Just be sure to give the champions an HP boost, that way they can't be taken down in one shot. Heh...maybe even give them an anti-air attack to shoot down bombers. Or at least have that be an ability they can gain in an upgrade.

Largest problem would be getting good graphics for theses.

Char would have almost none, as we've used up pretty much all the good dragon/reptilian-creature, and the ones being ridden. FA's cleared out of good units, and so has the Girls and Horse. UF, Rebs, and BU are all drained as well.

The only ones we won't have much trouble with are the Barbs, Staff, Chase and GWC.

Blue, you must lose this pessimistic outlook! There are loads of units out there that we have not used yet!

We still have yet to use that Shaoling monk unit that was originally FA's highschool unit.
For the Girls, there's still tons of Amazon units, like did one or dis one that we have yet to use.
The Rebs could have This guy.
This could be BU.
That's all I can really find now.

Top Bottom