Please explain "pop rush" in detail

SkyRattlers

Chieftain
I've seen many references to people "pop rushing" in order to produce things quickly. I believe that I understand the concept but it seems that whenever I try it it goes so slowly or turns against me that it doesn't seem like a good strategy.

Could someone please explain the ENTIRE process of pop rush using extreme details. Maybe some examples and pro's and con's....maybe what kind of results I can expect and how long the process usually takes.

Basically I think it would be helpful to see an entire strategy article on this topic.

is right here

There ought to be a law against it...At least when multiplayer comes out there ought to be a preference to add additional
penalties (more unhappiness, cultural penalty, lowered reputation, something), or outlaw it alltogether.
Because everyone will be forced to use it if they want to win.

In fact there is some kind of 'penalty'.
You have to be in a rather primitive government-type. I.e. not being a democracy of republic.
I think that´s penalty enough. I love pop-rushing early in the game. And considering mp: they all can choose to do this.

I guess I just don't want to see only one viable strategy that
everyone ends up doing in multiplayer. Maybe you leave
pop-rush alone, but give some nice rewards for staying peaceful,
building culture and not building offensive units. Peace loving
civs wont have a chance against nearby pop-rushers in
multiplayer. Only chance they might have is early defensive
units (hoplites or impi vs. horses) or running away.

I would like to see something like peaceful civs with temples that convert enemy units inside the city radius, or some god-like
intervention on behalf of a civ that stays peaceful over a period
of time. Or maybe the peaceful creation of great leaders that
was discussed in another thread.

Anyway, there are a lot of things I'd love to see in Civ3, that I
probably never will. So I am going to have to leave it for another
game. At least until scenarios/multiplayer comes out...;)

I just tried a pop-rush in Civ2 (I'll try Civ3 next) as the Chinese (since they have the most room to expand), and I ended up with 10-15 cities (Chieftain level, of course), when the comp. only have 2-3. Once I got to the Egyptians and Carthagians, they had 5-8, where I had 20-25. :)

I usually end up stopping after 15 cities (some of those 25 cities were conquered or "discovered" - about 5 of them).

But, when I do it, it's only a 50% success in Civ2. I wonder how Civ3 will be.

Top Bottom