• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

PolyCast Episode 24 with "Solver"

Having listened to this episode, how would you rate it (1 lowest, 10 highest)?

• 1 (atrocious)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 (dismal)

• 3 (poor)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 4 (mediocre)

• 5 (average)

• 6 (good)

• 7 (very good)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 8 (excellent)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 9 (superior)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 10 (perfect)

• Total voters

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
The twenty-fourth episode of 'PolyCast' features first-time guest Solver and the second of a three-part chat with Civilization IV poster artist Greg Hildebrandt! Entitled "Let's Get It On", total runtime is 59m49s. This outing's panel also includes myself, Makaluha, Imran Siddiqui, returning guest co-host Ming and another first-timer Dan "DanT" Tee.

Topics are (in order):

News
- Something seems off with a Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword guide;
- Regarding the failure of Alpha Centauri's Unit Workshop.

Modcast
- Introducing Military Civics;
- Griping about the new Cristo Redentor Wonder...
- ... and also the reworked Sistine Chapel Wonder

Senate
- Are 'Sid's Sushi' and 'Mining Inc.' BtS' best corporations;
- Optimal distances between cities;
- What good are submarines in-game;
- Favourite unrestricted leader combos courtesy BtS

Interview
- CivIV: Gold Edition poster artist Greg Hildebrandt [Part 2 of 3]

Vault
- What sized army is big enough in Civ;
- Looking back on the release of Alpha Centauri

Though typically released bi-weekly, for the second time in almost as many months there will be three back-to-back-to-back 'PC' episodes in successive weeks; this is the first of those, and the same panel will return in the landmark twenty-fifth episode.

Enjoy! :cooool:

is there a transcript available?
No there isn't and there won't be unless someone is willing to volunteer their time -- and patience :D -- to do so. In other words, should we acquire a volunteer who transcribes episodes on a regular basis it would likely be 1-2 weeks after its release before a transcript became available. (To date only the seventeenth episode has been transcribed.)

If such an interested party is reading this and available to do so, PM me. :)

Dan, is all you can think of to restore activity to the CFC PolyCast threads to mention Solver in the title? If only CivFanatics knew of the awsome and all-powerful strengths of Ming then you have a better title, "PolyCast Episode 24 with important messages from Ming."

Also, you could atleast post a link to the Poly thread with all the links the sources of the topics so the poor CivFanatics don't have a better refference to what your talking about.

Dan, is all you can think of to restore activity to the CFC PolyCast threads to mention Solver in the title? If only CivFanatics knew of the awsome and all-powerful strengths of Ming then you have a better title, "PolyCast Episode 24 with important messages from Ming."
:lol:

As you allude to, I reasonably assume Solver is a more recognizable name here than Ming.

Also, you could atleast post a link to the Poly thread with all the links the sources of the topics so the poor CivFanatics don't have a better refference to what your talking about.
I've done one better than that even :) -- opening post updated.

Interesting:

We did actually hope to add some 3D elements to the units to represent promotions, but in the end, we didn't have the resources. I think Sid may actually come up with a solution to this problem with Revolutions.

Soren

Interesting:

We did actually hope to add some 3D elements to the units to represent promotions, but in the end, we didn't have the resources. I think Sid may actually come up with a solution to this problem with Revolutions.

Soren
Indeed.

For those looking for that quote, Soren made it on August 21st as a -- and presently the last -- comment in his write-up on the SMAC Unit Workshop.

- Regarding the failure of Alpha Centauri's Unit Workshop.

Could someone at least give me the gist of Solver's response to this bit? *Is on dialup and therefore is incapable of hearing what exactly Solver said about it*

See, that article is full of 100% Grade A ******. Do the people of Firaxis, the makers of all these 4X games we love, really not realize that the SMAC workshop was the best method of unit customization and creation we've seen in a Firaxis game so far? That Civ4's promotion system is nothing compared to it? I mean, cry me a goddamn river if you can't be bothered to hover over an enemy stack for a couple seconds to see what you're about to fight.

I wanna know if Solver is smart enough to see it my way.

*Is on dialup and therefore is incapable of hearing what exactly Solver said about it*
How fast a dial-up connection out of curiosity? 56K?

In any event I recommend the download manager GetRight to you (available here) to make obtaining copies of show episodes (more) feasible. I have been on one form of broadband or another from home for just over 5 years now but still use this program from time-to-time.

With servers that support resume -- and Apolyton is one -- you can start, stop and resume downloads as many times as you need. More than that even, you could download part of the MP3, copy it to another location on your HD and listen to however much you have downloaded to that point. With GR specifically in this scenario, you may want/need to remove the ".GetRight" extension.

Monkeyfinger:

This along with previous (and even more recent :)) episodes of the show are available at 16kbps MP3 encode as well as of two days ago -- this distribution line is specifically targeted to dial-up users such as yourself.

Enjoy. :cool:

I didnt vote and didnt hear any of it. I would love a transcript though. I heard another of your polycasts and imho it was awful.

But I think other game -review/-preview sites have video/audio interviews too, and they are pretty bad too. I simply skip them.

I always read the written interviews though. Like;

Apolyton: "This is an example".

Solver: "It is"?

Im sorry if Im too harsh, but its just my generel opinion on these kind of interviews.

I didnt vote and didnt hear any of it. I would love a transcript though. I heard another of your polycasts and imho it was awful.

But I think other game -review/-preview sites have video/audio interviews too, and they are pretty bad too. I simply skip them. [..]

Im sorry if Im too harsh, but its just my generel opinion on these kind of interviews.
As you have stated you dislike audio/video interviews period, that you would find any PolyCast episode anything but "awful" is not surprising and I don't regard it as a comment on anything specific to our efforts. Given this view of yours, I'm surprised you tried any PC episode really.

Ultimately, it sounds (no pun intended :mischief:) as though you despise the means by which this content is distributed and not the content itself as you inquire about a transcript. There was a point made about this earlier in this thread, so I'll refer to my reply to it.

Top Bottom