PolyCast Episode 71: "Make Some Noise"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication

Have your word be heard. The seventy-first episode of PolyCast is now netcasting. "Make Some Noise" features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick and Makahlua with first-time guest co-hosts Adam "Peachrocks" Ferguson, Jim "TheDS" Adams and Phil "TheMeInTeam" Bellew.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 04m47s | News
The 3.19 patch for Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword has been released, and two editions of the "Ask Sid" feature in as many months.
- 30m50s | Interview
On an ongoing series of videos showing CivIV: BtS games being played, and narrated, on Immortal level.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
Why someone wants this to be a different episode number, the tradition of mispronouncing of one regular co-host's username (more than once) and their saving grace, the infamy of one certain guest, and the eagerness of another.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy. A nominee in the "Best Produced" and "Gaming" categories of the 2008 Podcast Awards, sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding and RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution.

As always, enjoy. :cool:

It seems I was actually closer to 9000 posts. I must say, neglecting to mention that I'd be in this episode did take some restraint!

Also, I set up Skype to call me "Philip" since it's technically my "full name", but I usually go by Phil, although hearing Philip certainly is nostalgic so I wasn't too big on correcting it immediately!

Proud to be a part of a storied show ;).

It seems I was actually closer to 9000 posts.
Ah, you stand corrected then.

I must say, neglecting to mention that I'd be in this episode did take some restraint!
:D -- you needn't restrain any longer!

Also, I set up Skype to call me "Philip" since it's technically my "full name", but I usually go by Phil, although hearing Philip certainly is nostalgic so I wasn't too big on correcting it immediately!
Ah. I can appreciate that -- I normally go by Dan, not Daniel, but I do use my full name in writing typically in reference to the show. But that's my preference.

I've updated my OP accordingly.

Proud to be a part of a storied show ;).
:lol:

Hope you found the end product that is this episode did its recording justice.

First-time listener?

More like serial moron. It's ok though, I'm starting a support group.

I was clicky clickity clicking on you maliciously and malevolently underlined "PolyCast"

A purely pavlovian response, powerful enough to over-rule my so called "higher brain functions".

But the puzzle has been puzzled and now I shall reward myself with banana.

Oook.

I definitely enjoyed the show (as always), this time because of TMIT's sultry voice/dulcet tones (choose your own adventure here).

I'm hesitant to offer criticism to such a polished product because, quite frankly, it's outstanding.

But let's pretend that you're insisting I find something about the show that could be improved.

Hmmm.

I feel that the show could benefit somewhat from having a regular co-host who is more...
how do I say... "expert" in some of the less visible game mechanics. Quite clearly the podcast is something made by fans, for fans, and the focus should never be shifted from that, but sometimes I find that the discussions relating to certain aspects of the game barely brush the technical surface, or in other cases misindentify the underlying game mechanic that produces the effect being discussed.
A "wonk" as they might be called in the appropriate parlance.

Of course finding a person who combines the appropriate degree of knowledge with the animal/feral magnetism for which the podcast is famous may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, one for which even my incomparable puzzling abilities might prove insufficient.

Also, please.. for the love of god
underlining words that aren't links in a post full of underlined words that are links is like a bug zapper for moths.
Have mercy on us moths, we beg of you.

sincerely
-a fan

Of course finding a person who combines the appropriate degree of knowledge with the animal/feral magnetism for which the podcast is famous may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, one for which even my incomparable puzzling abilities might prove insufficient.

Well, I do have pretty strong game knowledge (I should just auto-cite danf5771 for the majority if it, but w/e :p), and I've been told I act like an animal...but I don't think eating soup directly from a pot and "animal magnetism" in this context are QUITE alike :p (That said...I'd be willing to offer my services at the cost of having to put up with me ;)).

In defense of the show, I'd imagine it's quite difficult to strike a balance between technical detail and time constraints. With enough technical detail, you could spend the entire polycast on one topic...and probably still not finish. This isn't unlike the issues I run into when doing the let's play series...time matters too and multiple topics have to be covered.

But yes, I wince a little bit every time I hear/see someone saying to keep your power level up to prevent war declarations early in the game for example...monarch+ it's impossible with virtually every AI and diplomacy takes over as DoW prevention, while military is a survival valve (or attack, because you can win w/ a power deficit). This common misconception has been around for YEARS! There are a lot of things like this, though I do my best with them :p.

It was fun ( mostly because of The DS )and informative ( mostly because of TMIT ) again, even without Imran. Well, it would have been fun to hear Imran introduced, too,after hearing "Malukula".

I definitely enjoyed the show (as always),
:king:

this time because of TMIT's sultry voice/dulcet tones (choose your own adventure here).
:hide: ;)

I'm hesitant to offer criticism to such a polished product because, quite frankly, it's outstanding.

But let's pretend that you're insisting I find something about the show that could be improved.

Hmmm.
:D -- we're always open to constructive criticism on any front.

I feel that the show could benefit somewhat from having a regular co-host who is more...
how do I say... "expert" in some of the less visible game mechanics. Quite clearly the podcast is something made by fans, for fans, and the focus should never be shifted from that, but sometimes I find that the discussions relating to certain aspects of the game barely brush the technical surface, or in other cases misindentify the underlying game mechanic that produces the effect being discussed.
I don't disagree with anything that you have said here. In fact, this point has been discussed amongst us PolyCast regulars before but unfortunately -- due primarily to time and staff constraints -- an effort to address it has not materialized. Yet, anyway.

In defense of the show, I'd imagine it's quite difficult to strike a balance between technical detail and time constraints. With enough technical detail, you could spend the entire polycast on one topic...and probably still not finish. This isn't unlike the issues I run into when doing the let's play series...time matters too and multiple topics have to be covered.
Tying both this and Paulis' comment above together in further response...

Last year, preliminary planning began for a side series to PolyCast which would take, say, one CivIV gameplay mechanic and discuss it in depth for more or less the length of a standard regular episode. It was to have had a different panel of regular co-hosts, while featuring guests still. We hope to revisit this if and when the logistics can be more practically realized, but there have been no immediate plans to do so. The primary stumbling blocks remain staff and time limitations.

Also, please.. for the love of god
underlining words that aren't links in a post full of underlined words that are links is like a bug zapper for moths.
Have mercy on us moths, we beg of you.
I always ensure that underlined words that are not linked are not underlined in the same colour as the links. I use it in combination with bolding and italicizing that I think are complimentary. That said, I can tweak with the structure a bit to see if I cut down on the amount of non-linking underlined words while still keeping with formatting that I'm happy with.

sincerely
-a fan
:cool:

It was fun ( mostly because of The DS )and informative ( mostly because of TMIT ) again, even without Imran. Well, it would have been fun to hear Imran introduced, too,after hearing "Malukula".

The next episode after this one is going to be released a little later than any other has been in some time after its recording -- should still be sometime this week, though. As such, I wanted to publicly acknowledge that here and hope that listeners will pardon the inconvenience.

I finally get a chance to come here and DL the ep and..... now I'm afraid all my gaffs got left in!

I swear to God I had figured out how to pronounce Mak's name and I was going to be all proud about getting it right on the first try, and then that schmuck Freud stepped in and tied my tongue.

You wanna know something even funnier? Right afterward, I wrote her a quick note, and in it I INTENTIONALLY mispelled her name as a joke.... except, I did it wrong and typoed! I can't even make a mistake without making a mistake! No doubt she now thinks I'm an idiot, if she hadn't before that. Ah well, it's her fault for having such a nice voice I couldn't stop myself from flirting with her. :p

Hey Rusty, glad you had a good time! It was a lot of fun to do it, and I hope to get a chance to do it again. Dan made it very easy for me, held my hand, and didn't yell at me too loudly when my Skype newbness showed.

Hey Dan, I coulda SWORN I pronounced my name on the tape, but maybe I mumbled too much?... Replace A with Adams in your post if you want. And thanks again for having me, you made it a great time!

Once I listen to this in the next couple days, I reserve the right to get mad enough to throw unbuttered bagels at you. ;) I think I'll wait until then to add it to my sig. :o

Bagels are a poor compromise between an English muffin and a doughnut, now maybe if they were deep-fried in fat instead of water, or if they were sweetened, or if they had cavities to hold butter and honey/jelly/marmalade, they'd be worth eating... Come to think of it, they're dense and symetrical, they probably do make excellent missiles.

So what are the requirements to be on this show? It's really cool that there's a Civ podcast out there, I've been a fan of the games since the first one. I'm a chronic Chieftain level player trying to learn to master Warlord.

Bagels are a poor compromise between an English muffin and a doughnut, now maybe if they were deep-fried in fat instead of water, or if they were sweetened, or if they had cavities to hold butter and honey/jelly/marmalade, they'd be worth eating... Come to think of it, they're dense and symetrical, they probably do make excellent missiles.

Actually there are some good kinds of bagels at the bagel places...asiago cheese, chocolate chip, cinnamon (if done correctly), 3x cheese, and so forth ----> these things are baked into the bread. As part of a sandwich such can be excellent.

But a plain bagel? It's basically just harder bread.

I swear to God I had figured out how to pronounce Mak's name and I was going to be all proud about getting it right on the first try, and then that schmuck Freud stepped in and tied my tongue.
No worries!

Ah well, it's her fault for having such a nice voice I couldn't stop myself from flirting with her. :p

It was a lot of fun to do it, and I hope to get a chance to do it again.
:king:

Dan made it very easy for me, held my hand, and didn't yell at me too loudly when my Skype newbness showed.
Glad to have been of assistance. We all have to start somewhere!

Hey Dan, I coulda SWORN I pronounced my name on the tape, but maybe I mumbled too much?... Replace A with Adams in your post if you want.
I don't remember your saying it -- if I recall correctly, I got your name data from your Skype profile. I have updated my post above accordingly.

And thanks again for having me, you made it a great time!
Welcome -- the fun is what it's all about, first and foremost.

Once I listen to this in the next couple days, I reserve the right to get mad enough to throw unbuttered bagels at you. ;) I think I'll wait until then to add it to my sig. :o
Hmmm... can you make them whole wheat ones? ;)

So what are the requirements to be on this show? It's really cool that there's a Civ podcast out there, I've been a fan of the games since the first one. I'm a chronic Chieftain level player trying to learn to master Warlord.
That's a very good question, one I don't recall being asked publicly (at least in some while).

In addition to the show's editing, I'm its guest 'recruiter' and scheduler. As standard practice, I browse leading CivIV fan forums for recent discussions on the game; I make note of frequent posters who have contributed over an extended period of time, as well as the quality of those posts (i.e. cohesiveness, reasoning, spelling/grammar, courtesy). It is from this scouring that I am continually revising my "potential" list for contact to gauge their interest and availability. Players of all difficulty levels and styles -- war-monger, builder, and all in between -- are welcome, and indeed I try to ensure that ongoing mix is present.

Technically speaking, requirements are a high-speed internet connection, microphone (preferably headset, but mic-on-a-stand with headphones acceptable), Skype and MP3 audio recording/exporting software (e.g. Audacity). Are you expressing an interest, capability and availability to be considered for guesting on a future episode then? :)

Yes I am expressing interest, I have both Skype and Audacity, I've even edited on it. It just seems like a really fun show, I've been listening to it ever since I saw that post about the Episode "Girls talking about Civ" and I've been hooked ever since. Though I am still working my way up to the current episodes I'm on 62 I think.

Top Bottom