Polystralia Apollo Playthrough

Aeson

orangesoda
Retired Moderator
Starting 31 turns. More on the playlist up to turn 136 ... more coming soon. Sorry the video quality isn't the best, I have to keep the video quality down to have any chance to upload. No voiceover, just the game.

Plains/Hill/Coastal start pressed up along the coast by a wild-zone. Going Supremacy/Domination with a sledgehammer.

Load-out:

Sponsor: Polystralia
Colonists: Artists
Spacecraft: Tectonic Scanner
Cargo: Machinery

Link to video.

Originally posted:
http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/207366-Beyond-Earth-Apollo-Polystralia

YouTube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUBnljh1BdQSkx-R_zUABl9F1rkD7bM3n

Moderator Action: Moved to the Stories & LPs forum, and prefix added. :)

Are you enjoying the game so far? Looks like you're making good use of the trade routes - it's a decent map for them too.

Yah, having a lot of fun.

Decided first game to cheese Trade Routes as much as possible (thus Polystralia). I think it would be nice if it's an issue that's fixed soon. Needs to be shown clearly what the problem is ;)

Coastal is great for Trade Routes, and I was forced into expanding along the cost by the wild-zone early on. Went heavy Explorers to start but the layout made it less effective. Kept getting Culture from everything ... would have been a lot stronger start with an earlier Solar Collector.

Capital location wasn't that great, but the 2 Flood Plain cities nearby are very nice. locations.

Frenzied Aliens are passive. So it's more an obstacle than a threat. AIs appear very passive.

I think the wild zone can be quite helpful in this sort of scenario - it probably stops the AI encroaching more than it stops you, and leaves you with a nice buffer will you expand in a less consolidated manner.

Well in this case I would have preferred it not to be there. It did cause me quite some problems. A few lost workers/units, much slower Exploration of the E (10-15 turns to go around),and I couldn't expand E very much very quickly. That land would have been easy for me to settle otherwise. Though even if an AI had landed there it would be better. AI building cities for me ;)

I am always impressed with people able to micromanage so many cities. I am just getting plainly bored of building improvements after couple turns. I tend to add more AI or use smaller map as a consequence. Not staggering starts helps them give more challenge but it's all relative, they still fail.

Just impressive how much you generates in science and energy. You are right, TR with (or even without) polynesia are much too good. Point nicely made.

Otherwise, some items of note:
+ like me you thinks you can get out of sattelite layer view by pressing ESC.
+ like me you always hesitate when the AI ask you if massing troops near the border is a preclude to invasion. Guild maybe ? :)

Yah, that orbital layer gets me every time still. In diplomacy my natural inclination is to make the provacative response... just with the declare war response it hurts to make! More swallowing my pride for the good of the invasion than guilt ;)

Top Bottom