• Yes, But should poll for each instance

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No, never use pop rushing

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill_in_PDX

Grumpy Submariner
Should our civilization use the tactic of pop rushing?

Specifically causing the deaths of our citizens in order to complete projects early. Some view this as simply a game play situation, where people are simply numbers to be used. Others view our civ as more than that, and may object to the deaths of citizens.

Let the people be heard...

Bill
Trade Leader

I'm one of those who dislikes the pop-rush as it sits poorly in my role-playing play style. Unfortunately, it's sometimes necessary. Same with the draft. I try to avoid drafting but sometimes you have to do it. I think we should keep it to an absolute minimum and each instance should be justified. I voted #2 as it's the closest to my view. More accurate would be:

An impending pop-rush should be announced and justified beforehand. If reader response is mixed then a poll should be held for that instance.

I don't think a poll for every occurence would be necessary.

Hehe. If I thought I could pop-rush at will, we would have cultural improvements in every one of our cities.

I think a poll should be posted each time, and, though I do not think the domestic advisor should have to abide by this unless the results are overwhelming. However, not to abide by the people's opinions can be political suicide. I would also stipulate that the cabinet would be able to override the domestic leader with a majority vote, if the he/she decides to go against the results of one of these polls.

I do not think it is a good idea to try to pass a broad resolution on this issue, as the situation is different for every city and time. Sometimes, not being able to pop-rush can have very severe effects on the longevity of a civ, especially on a level higher than regent. Selective and reasonable pop-rushing is one of the advantages we have over the AI.

Originally posted by Shaitan
I think we should keep it to an absolute minimum and each instance should be justified.

I think the current proposal of rushing a library in Pherris certainly meets these requirements. That city will probably never experience pop-rushing again, especially considering its production potential.

Essentially, rushing a library in Pherris will help that city far more than it will hurt it. The same situation occurred in Shailenogha a while back, as it needed to expand its borders to reach fishing grounds that allowed it to grow. My opinion on this instance is very strong, as I think this will increase the effectiveness of one of our military training grounds significantly.

I'll give Eyrei the right to do it any time because I trust his judgement. If I find it's too many, I think I'd start a poll against the cruel oppression he's brought down.

I hope his only mandate will be that of maximizing happiness, population, & productivity. Other situations, like building happiness improvements, are fine with me too, because unhapiness is masked by the improvement. Of course, any time Eyrei is doubtful in decision, he may poll.

Futher, I'd rather not bog down the boards any more than necessary. If pop rushes are rare, that's fine, but it can get too many, I think.

your pop rush did help shailo as it picked up the fish. and pherris will pick up the flood plain. but did you read my reply to the other pop rush thread that YOU wrote?

Originally posted by Shaitan
An impending pop-rush should be announced and justified beforehand. If reader response is mixed then a poll should be held for that instance.

I don't think a poll for every occurence would be necessary.

I think that as long as we are going to have a discussion about it, it doesn't hurt to have poll.

I believe we need to encourage participation in the boards versus just the turn chat. Significant directional decisions such as this should be decided upon before hand by our people.

But I do agree with your sentiments on the matter in general, that being that I too rarely rush, and I am most proud of victories that had no rushing.

Bill
Trade Leader

Top Bottom