Prince Aisle

temurleng

Another Dumb Message
So after a few years not playing any Civ, I've started up again. This is my second game and a few things that've never happened before happened here. Most surprisingly, one AI civ nuked another. (read the next post for that)
I've never played well starting on the British Isles, but I got two settlers and a good number of techs. (Alphabet, Bronze Working, Masonry) I colonized all of the Isles, then Scandanavia and, after finding an advanced tribe, Iberia.
These forays onto the continent, and my constant trade expeditions, gave me an oppurtunity to watch the rest of the world. The Russians (green, in the maps below) and Romans (orange) were locked in mortal combat. While the Russians had more cities, the Romans had captured a Russian city and were using it as a base to expand their own empire. The Persians, while expanding pretty well, took the time to periodically declare on the Russians, Arabs (purple) and English (me, yellow). Nothing ever came of these "wars", however- no cities captured or razed. For the Arabs, their repeated wars with the Persians, Russians and Mandinka (teal) hemmed them into the Arabian peninsula. The Mandinka, offered the chance to expand across Sub-Saharan Africa unopposed, chose instead to build only a handful of well-planned cities that never seemed to want any of my trade goods. The Incans (orange) and the Mandinka, because of the Sahara and Atlantic, respectively, didn't encounter any civs for some time.
The turning point in the Rome-Russia war was when the Romans decided to declare war on every civ they knew. While the English chose to do nothing, the Mandinka captured Veii. This, not the Russian-Persian Alliance against them, was the death-kneal for the Romans, since it severed the connection between Rome and their remaining two cities, both nearer to Russia than Rome. The Russians, in the middle of capturing both cities, cancelled the alliance with the Persians. The war didn't last to long- one Russian city was razed and peaced declared. Then, suddenly, the Arabs and Romans entered a prolonged period of peace. During this period, the Mandinka built cities in the middle of Incan territory, while the Arabs built cities in Jordan, Egypt and Turkey. But peace didn't last long: the Russians took the last Roman city and sent waves of Dragoons at Mandinka-held Veii (attached, with Veii defenders to right side; they actually are targeting the damaged Marines outside the city), while the Persians took the Arab cities in Jordan and Turkey, beginning the Arabs' slow but inevitable demise.
As the world's civs declared war (and peace) again and again, I was well on my way to winning by Space Race, which I'd never done before. In AD1360, for instance, I was discovering Conscription. I had begun to colonize France, but didn't like the lack of defensive barriers, despite the cessation of hostilities with Russia. The big expansion region for me was eastern Siberia. Freights sent to explore the area found three advanced tribes. Ultimately, these cities (and those that sprang from them) were the reason the world's civs came to hate me. About 125 years after finding the first advanced tribe, I had risen from Moderate to Supreme. I was only 5th in population and 6th in military service- but maybe being 2nd in land area had something to do with it?
Unfortunately, the Russians had focused so many units on my cities in my most recent war with them that I had to change my military policy. By the time the danger of a Russian conquest was over, the Mandinka had picked up a good head of steam on building their spaceship and launched it while mine was still in spacedock. Mine could have been launched earlier, but I couldn't remember what the correct ratio of Structural/Component/Module is.
While I was debating whether to attack the Mandinka capital, the Persians requested an audience with me around 1940. In my haste to have a valid pretext to finish off the Russians, I didn't read the fine print: they weren't offering an alliance, just demanding that I declare war on their hated neighbors. No issue, really, because, by the time of this final war with Russia, my Siberian holdings had expanded till I had 8 cities there. The Russians quickly razed one of them, but my fleet of Stealth bombers, while the Russians had no clue how to fly, was telling. Ultimately, they struggled to have a unit defending any city. I bombed them for twenty years, then captured all their cities in three. (1968-71) In the meantime, while the world gawked at my martial excellence (seriously, all civs went from neutral or worse to enthusiastic or worshipful), the Persians finished of the scattered Arab cities.
But the gawking didn't last long, and 7 years later the Persians were demanding tribute. The subsequent 100 year war spelled the end of the Persians. It took so long because, all the sudden, the Persians, Incans and Mandinka allied against me. The Persians tried to drag the other two, their supposed allies, into the conflict, but the Incans kept demanding peace, and using the UN to get it. The Mandinka financed the Manhattan Project to try to trump my waves of bombers, but my Fundamentalist treasuy was so large, I bought SDI for all my cities the very next turn. The Persians suffered the same fate as the Russians: waves of bombers razed the cities they could, then wiped out all units of the target civ, while I built the defensive troops needed to secure the new territory. The end of the invasion got ugly for my new Persian subjects, as the Mandinka nuked three of the Persian cities I had just captured. But, that merely served to unite the English and Persian peoples.
As my howitzers worked to finish off the Persians, I shifted my bombers over to the Mandinka. Soon, all of their cities north of the Sahara were razed. While I built more mechs to hold any Mandinka cities I captured, I sent hordes of Fanatics to distract them. They attacked my invaders, usually with bombers, but I kept picking them off. Nice war of attrition, Stealth Bomber for Fanatic, especially considering I was building 13 Fanatics each year. With the combined might of the English, Russian and Persian cities, the Mandinka didn't stand a chance. They were eliminated in 2101.
So all that leaves is the Incans. They hadn't asked for peace for a few decades, so I was able to use my cities around the Caribbean to drive a wedge between their North and South American cities. Troops ferried over from my conquests of the Russians, Persians and Mandinka quickly gained for me all of North America. I captured a city in Columbia, after which the UN/Incans sued for peace. All that's left is to break a peace treaty one last time (my reputation's already Despicable) and I'll finish them off in under 20 years.

Attachments

• Years.bmp
    272.9 KB · Views: 170
Unusuals
The first posting is the story of this game, but this one is to recount some of the unusual things that happened in the game.

First, it was difficult to get to the Persian cities, since there was no railroad linking our empires and their nearest city was too far to traverse for a Mech Inf. I suddenly found myself using a method of approaching enemy territory I've never used before. I send two engineers with 5-10 Mech Infs. One turn, they would build a fortress, then the next, move down a square and repeat the process. Behind them followed another stack of Mech Infs with two Engineers. This second group was responsible for building the railroad into Persia. With this, I sent waves of Mech Infs, Howitzers and Fanatics. (yeah, ok, maybe it's not worth mentioning, but maybe someone out there will find that useful...)

Second, one AI civ actually nuked another. While I was eliminating the Persians, the Mandinka nke asked for peace. I didn't want it, but "world opinion" forced me to sign it. Perhaps it had something to do with their ally controlling the UN? Whatever, a little later I offered the Mandinka money to declare war on the Incans. It didn't last long, but the Incans destroyed the Mandinka city on the tip of Brazil and nuked their city in Bolivia. Attached are before and after images.

Lastly, I once got a Battleship stuck outside my city in Cuba (Berkshire Downs) after taking too much damage in combat. I suddenly remembered that, if a bomber occuys the same square as any unit(s), only a fighter can attack the stack. So I stacked a bomber with the damaged Battleship. When it was the Incans' turn, they tried to use cruise missiles on the ship, but couldn't. I kept seeing missiles go by, apparently on their way to Cusibamba. When it was my turn, I found the Battleship had been surrounded by cruise missiles. (see attached) So, I quickly attacked Cusibamba and destroyed at least 25 more missiles. All very strange.

Attachments

• Surrounded.bmp
    199.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Nuke.bmp
    266.3 KB · Views: 169
Top Bottom