Problem with 3ds max 8

jade8880

Chieftain
This is the stealfighter from Deliverator. The original model does not have skininstance so cannot add shader to it. I tried to add skininstance in 3ds max following Refar's tutorial. However, when exprorting, the 3ds max said "export module failure".

Seems not many people using 3ds max now. If anyone has experience about it, please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• jsf_wip.zip
    36.1 KB · Views: 36
You need to use the firaxis exporter for this to work properly (maybe you can also configure the niftools one to do it right, but since we have the one from firaxis i never bothered). If you have niftools installed (probably want them for importing) you have to disable the exporter part of it from the plugins config file.

Yes. I used Civ4 plugin from this forum, and I disabled the 3ds exporter by setting "Enable=0" in MaxNifTools.ini. But the problem still exists.

Hi Refar,

Thank you for reply.

The original mesh has no skininstance, so I cannot add shader to it.

I imported the mesh into 3ds max, added a bone to it, made sure that entire mesh was affected by the new bone. But problem occurred when I exported the mesh. I got message "export module failure" and no mesh exported.

I guess the problem is the civ4 export plugin, since nifviewer does not work on my PC. I always get "renderer creation failed".

I am using win7 x64 with ATI 5570 video card. Everything was ok on my old PC.

Nifscope is fine on my computer. So I guess niftools export would be fine. How to set it up? Do you have a template?

Thanks.

Never used the niftools exporter myself, as the othe rone is working. Also, i would be very surprised, if the exporter had something to do with your video card.

I guessed the unit missing the skin instnace for shaders, the point is, that after adding the bone you have to export from max with proper shaders setting.

Look around the blender tutorials perhaps, i think it´s the same importer ported over for max.

Hi Refar,

Thank you for reminding me the proper shader setting.

Finally, I got the mesh exported. I chose the default shader. While exporting, process script and file export script were all default. "Multiple KF Export with NIF" did not work for me. The I adjusted the shader in nifscope. Here is the result:

Spoiler :

There is still room to improvement. Blend of wing and fuselages looks not natural. But I have no idea how to improve it. It has no damage states too. I will leave those to other more capable people.

Attachments

• jsf_in_game.jpg
    jsf_in_game.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 99
  • jsf.zip
    208.2 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom