Problems with Stability

Bigger66

Chieftain
I need help understanding how to keep stable :)

Background: Germany game, hardest difficulty (emperor??)

year: 1796.

I conquered the netherlands and france early. the turks out teched me, so I took out scandanavia while I built up a larger force (not hard to build all eco buildings then pump out units in all cities). Rather, I stacked a large army on the vikings border, then they revolted and went independent and I took the independent cities. Then my horde of cannons, macement, and knights took Rome, Athens, and Constantinople from the Turks much smaller army of cavalry and riflemen (hehe). I can get peace with Turks now if I - although I would prefer to push on and raise Sogut (first city on turkey peninsula) to push all turkish culture off greece (and hopefully either make them revolt or get them to agree to being my vassal).

Spain and portugal are my vassals.
I am running hereiditary rule, free speech, decentralization, free religion, and viceroyalty. im 4-6 turns from democracy - plan is to then research economics, and switch to free speech, universal suffrage, and emancipation.

stability:
cities: -14 civics: -20 economy: +66 expansion: -73 foreign: -5
toal: -45 (although I think it should be -38, when you factor in the +8 for two vassals - not sure about the difference of 7 there).

I played ahead a few turns after saving, Khmer wants me to vassal them, cities dropped to -8 and economy up to +70, but the expansion dropped to -77 as well so i didnt get that much more stable. (I also was awarded Inveirnes in the first congress - yay, but wtf?)

questions: how do I fix?
cities and foreign im not worried about
civics - tried switching to all level 2 civics (hereditary, vassalage, mercantilism, etc.) but that made it -22. Im assuming it will be better when I switch to all the democracy civics, but thats another 7 turns away (another 15 if you count free market). Not sure how low I have to get to revolt, but I'm getting scared. I really don't understand which civics I'm supposed to pick to have +stability here.

stability civic: I can only do viceroyalty or commonwealth, and commonwealth is pretty useless to me since my economy is very strong.

expansion: how the f do i fix this? I still have to conquer England and Russia at some point to win HV, and its already putting me so far in the whole as it is - I can't imagine what it will be once I've taken moscow. I don't understand this stat at all - it went up (positive) when I took Amsterdamn and France, and then dove when i took Scandanavia - and went way in the whole when I took Rome and Greece.

fyi, I never switched to mercantilism cuz I didnt want to lose the foreign trading - but I realized only a couple of years ago I'm only getting 36 gold from foreign routes, which is pennies in my economy, so i do wish I had ran it earlier. At this point (so close to economics and free market) I'm not sure its worth the anarchy to change.

my plan is to stay peaceful until industrialism and rush Russia (building macement with city raider upgrades as much as possible - and knights to upgrade into choppers). I thought I would need an air force to take out britain, but If I can get one of their cities in a congress, I can transport all my army to it and peace time and take them out easy :)

You should get the totalitarian civics as soon as possible. You'll get huge stability from wars and conquering alone. It is possible to go from unstable to very stable that way.

do you mean fascism, or the totalitarian "stability civics?" I was wondering about that, actually. one gives you +2 for conquered cities, but the way its worded it doesnt sound like you would get credit for cities you have already conquered. If it only helps for future conquering, its not going to benefit me much (it would basically just be Russia).

if someone could just give me a general idea of what influences the "expansion" stability factor, and the "civics" stability factor, that would help. The civics seems to be going back toward the positive after a few turns - is it mostly affected by anarchy\civic changes, maybe?

I'm sure thats covered in the mythical wikipedia that doesn't seem to exist anymore :(. The civilopedia basically just says "its all pretty much common sense." lol.

Guide to stability. It includes civics.

stability civic: I can only do viceroyalty or commonwealth, and commonwealth is pretty useless to me since my economy is very strong.
My monarch Germany game in a nutshell:
Teched to nationalism and rifling, while prioritizing economy and stability and building CR2 maces[took out Rome too]. As soon as I hit nationalism, I took occupation. Got rifling, upgraded to rifles, then took France out. Later switched to the totalitarianism civics. Then got to industrialism, upgraded everyone to infantry and conquered everyone I needed for the UHV. When I fulfilled my 1940 UHV, I was at stability 30+.
So, remember to get occupation before conquering. It helps a lot.;)

And as imperialistic civs like Germany, your expansion category is bound to be horrible. Just counter it with better numbers in other civics, and you should be fine;)

do you mean fascism, or the totalitarian "stability civics?" I was wondering about that, actually. one gives you +2 for conquered cities, but the way its worded it doesnt sound like you would get credit for cities you have already conquered. If it only helps for future conquering, its not going to benefit me much (it would basically just be Russia).

Well fascism is not a civic but rather a technology. Basically adopt Police State+Nationhood as soon as possible, when you have these two civics you get a great boost just because you have them both at once. On top of that Nationhood increases stability based on how many wars you have, so declare more. There isn't a cap on this, so to instantly go from unstable to super stable is very real upon adopting that. :D Occupation is awesome since you not only get stability for capturing more, you don't get any penalty for anger in recently captured cities either. Don't forget to build jails in your cities, all of them.
Just follow Akbarthegreat's link, it explains the whole system.

Guide to stability. It includes civics.

My monarch Germany game in a nutshell:
Teched to nationalism and rifling, while prioritizing economy and stability and building CR2 maces[took out Rome too]. As soon as I hit nationalism, I took occupation. Got rifling, upgraded to rifles, then took France out. Later switched to the totalitarianism civics. Then got to industrialism, upgraded everyone to infantry and conquered everyone I needed for the UHV. When I fulfilled my 1940 UHV, I was at stability 30+.
So, remember to get occupation before conquering. It helps a lot.;)

And as imperialistic civs like Germany, your expansion category is bound to be horrible. Just counter it with better numbers in other civics, and you should be fine;)

hmm, ok. Thanks for all the helps guys. I did some shorthand math in my head and realized I'm so far behind Russia and Britain in tech I don't think I can geet UHV goal 2 anyway (not going to be able to rush Russia with outdated troops, I don't think). I'm catching up fast and probably will still hit number 3 (Arabia and U.S. will be my only real competition), but I dont think I can conquer Russia by the 1940 deadline. Oh well, I'm going to finish it and just go for a standard victory, but when I replay to hit UHV again I'm going to use your strategy Akbar <G>.

I also think when I move onto the next civ I'll stick to monarch, haha.

Top Bottom