Production vs. Population/Tech

It might just be me trying to figure out something small to do different since right now it feels like everyoe does the exact same thing the first 30-40 turns wich is kind of booring.

Because of last patch. Tradition is no longer viable.

About settling 5th and 6th cities : Planting on lux mine(s) accelerate the processus.

It might just be me trying to figure out something small to do different since right now it feels like everyoe does the exact same thing the first 30-40 turns wich is kind of booring.

Duel is boring

Back to Sultan's "recipe" argument. The game is just too rigid, and gets boring in the long turn, at least in IMO.

Merle, our french master, does sometimes honor or traditiOn

Yep, my bad. Viable, but certainly not optimal.

There is some strategies related to honor and tradition but if you put 2 guys with equal skills you will see a Liberty approach win most of the time.

Ok another few cents, seems some guys stick to small cities WAY too long (thats hence the question about "grow to size 2 or not".

I remember f.e. this 2-2 tourney both semi and finals when other team had size 2 and 3 cities in like turn80-100 when they got killed.

And thats "high" lvl play? ..
Its not imo - in long run you will HAVE to let cities grow if u want not only dominte military in short run but also in long run.

And doing this is the "hard" part about civ5. Finding a balance between expanding fast and early - pumping enough and strong units - and still maintaining a strong eco (GOLD!) and science with growing cities.

Finding this balance is the interesting and challenging thing about duels and small teamers.
In FFAs you can often neglect units - hence making game very easy and 1-dimensional - singeplayerlike (thats why most bad and sp oriented people prefare them).

So the question shouldnt be - let a city grow to size 2 - BUT how to have all cities grow to size 8 (just some rnd number) and when

edit:
tradition opener can be viabale - you dont loose A LOT of turn for lib2,3,4 - its a desision whether few more tiles make up for the later other sp.
full tradition will loose vs some1 good - but can be viable if oppnent/s make mistakes
and honor .. well ... I m no fan of early honor but with close starts its can maybe be even op

If I survive I usually manage to grow my cities and economy quite well. There problem is usually money. that is cramming out so many units but the money meter in red until you get markets up.

I find the solution to this be partly the GA from liberty and to time it to last about until u get markets up. The other thing is how much u can deley the markets from going up, that is taking currency before or after LS.

Except for some civs where the UU makes it favourable for a different tech route I usually try to get workshops (and the tech for it) as fast as possible. Basicly go there directly after IW plus the necessery lux tech.

Having WS up in all cites cost money but ads a huge % of produccion making it possible to keep up with army prod but at the same ime cram out buildings. I find it good to get catas anyway and mabye a small chanse to steal HG so that one u ll want anyway. That is only one tech from markets so what I usually do, all thought it s a small gamble, is going for currency before LS, with WS up in all citie I can get markets up very fast and get the economy going t an early stage. As soon as the markets are up u ll be able to afford both army and happines buildings. About at this stage I also tend to get libraries and nat collage. If I get a window I usually produce library 1 turn from fnishing in all cities so that when markets are up I can just use one turn to get libraries in all cites and start nat collage in cap. the reason for not having them out earlier is the money issue and they give quite little tech in the satelite cities anyway when they r so small.

Another question is when to start the road network. It is imprtant for growth (happines) and transporting troops but it do cost a lot of money when the cities are size 1 and 2. What I do is usually start the roads as soon as I m finished with improving all tiles worked by cities. Starting from the capital and outards of course. Also letting the cities closest to cap grow first as soon as happines gets into + to get minimal gold loss from roads.

I dont know how u guys do. if u do the same or different....

Top Bottom