Proposal: culturally and physically appropriate starting positions.

@dreiche2:
Am I reading your code right when I come to the conclusion that what you have done doesn't actually generate starting plots from scratch, but rather reshuffles and reassigns the startingplots that the mapscript have already generated and assigned?

If so then it would require an expansion/rework of the 'flavor' script to ensure anything to do with cultural linked start positions.

More frustrating test results:

I've edited it as follows:
Priority 1 civs are the East Asians the New World civs. East Asians like silk and New Worlders like dye.
Priority 2 civs are the 'tropical' civs (Sub-saharan Africans and India), who like jungle and don't tundra. regionSize = 6
Priority 3 civs are everyone else, haviig various terrain preferences which I won't bother going into. regionSize = 6

I've been testing on continents and in every test I've done the priority 1 civs always starting near their desired luxuries, resulting in successful groupings of New World and East Asian civs.

Unfortunately the priority 2 civs, the tropicals, often don't start anywhere near jungle, even though priority 3 civs do!

So it seems that priority 1 civs do get priority, but priority 2 civs are not getting priority over priority 3 civs :/

I've attached my latest file

Attachments

• flavourStartsMapMod.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 152
I test again, this time with the tropical civs priority 1, same as the east asians and new worlders. same problem: perfect results for east asians/new worlders, bad results for the tropicals

This suggests that the problem is not to do with priority after all. Perhaps its something to do with the fact that the east asians and new worlders are attracted to particular luxuries, whereas the other civs are all looking for particular terrains.

Alright, is done at last.

Like I said, it's not as good as I had originally hoped for, for example the Europeans are very unlikely to start in a single clump. On the other hand, the climate-linked starting positions works reasonably well and there is a bit of cultural-linking going on, especially for the East Asians and New Worlders.

Download the file and post any further comments here please: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=251580

Top Bottom