Protectorate War

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
I was just looking in the code for the warmonger points and found that a protectorate war is quite interesting.

It has 0 Warmonger points but also no denouncement turns requirement as long as the target enemy is attacking a CS that is your ally

I guess its worth me saving some CS points to get an ally near an enemy or if I see a target attacking a CS to pump some points into it and become its ally to get a free surprise war

Anyone tried this?... seems like an option.

My impression was that if you do anything other than protect/liberate the city state, you will get a huge warmongering penalty?

I declared a protectorate war when Gilgamesh attacked Zanzibar, which was vital to my economy. I took a Sumerian city between my borders and Zanzibar, and was roundly denounced by everyone for my warmongering. Fortunately Gilgamesh then took Zanzibar, which I liberated, so it worked out. But if you go on the offensive, I think it is fairly punishing (as it probably should be, in most cases).

I once founded a city with a settler I captured a long way from my territory (rather than delete it or let it be taken back) then it got taken by another civ. Fast forward a few thousand years and it's size 17 with a wonder, and to my surprise I was able to declare a war of reconquest over it with zero warmonger penalty. I decided to test the waters by razing a small city of the civ I was attacking and sure enough I got huge warmonger penalties with everyone for it. I assume it's the same for the scenario being discussed here.

I am very interested in just what is a huge warmonger penalty @NuclearWeapons and yes it is what we are discussing.

Just for razing a city you will get a perm -20 with that civ. With others it depends on the era. There is nothing I can see in the code that gives additional negatives for taking a city that is not originally your during a protectorate war or any of the 0% wars.

The bloody Chinese have been attacking Hong Kong for years and I can't jump in to save them. They are my Suzanne (whatever lol) and iv denounced China.

Send your units to Hong Kong and surround the city center. China can shoot at Hong Kong all they like, but will never take the city if your units are passively blocking access to the city center. Continue packing your units around Hong Kong in several rings until China''s units can no longer even shoot at the city.

Or you can just DOW China.

LOL if you actually build enough units to block two full rings around the city you might as well attack with them.

Top Bottom