Provoke the AIs?

Tesla Tank

Warlord
I don't like to start wars or sometimes I can't because of Senate. So I was wodering if there's a way to fight without declare war on the AI.

In the manual it says you can try to manuver the AI into declare war on you. Can someone please tell me what do you have to do to provoke the AI to declare war?

Thank you

Make friends with one of their enemies, and accept when they ask you to attack. Reputation stands.

Or taunt them. Demanding tribute or that they move the heck out of your territory works well, even if they're not in your territory.

If you play at deity level, simply by becoming the strongest, most powerful civ around will be a provocation in itself.
I think if you move one of your units into their territory and refuse to move back when that civ tells you to, sometimes it will cause them to declare war on you.

Thanks!

I'm gonna bug them every turn with demands.:p :D

I don't think move military units into their territory works. Because it breaks the peace treaty. And then you get a bad reputation.

I'm gonna bug them every turn with demands.:p :D

You can't demand for tribute as republic/democracy, and the remove troops demand do not always work.

You can't demand for tribute as republic/democracy

Ahh.... there we go, then. No more democracy/republic for me...

There are lots of ways to start wars in a democracy. Of all the forms of government, my favorite one to fight a huge war with lots of units, even bloodlust, is democracy.

Besides ideas suggested so far, one of the easiest ways to start a way is with a caravan/freight. Move it into the enemy territory, block their RRs, occupy their fortresses. The AI does not like that, and it can't get rid of your freight!

The AI really has a cow when you park a spy right next to their city. Double it up so it won't be expelled. The sneak attack is "in the mail..."

Placing inferior unit next to their good units. If you have an obsolete offensive unit, like a Legion, put it next to a rifleman (outside their city radius). Especially if it blocks his road/RR. It probably won't last long :lol:.

Move a spy up to an AI city and demand they withdraw their troops. That bothers them sometimes!

Get the hawks on your side. Get stabbed in the back several times, and the hawks will eventaully rescue you and give you your desires, even without the UN.

So I was wodering if there's a way to fight without declare war on the AI.
Yes, there is ... it is called subversion, and all you need is a dip/spy and some (a lot) of gold! :)

Originally posted by starlifter
Besides ideas suggested so far, one of the easiest ways to start a way is with a caravan/freight. Move it into the enemy territory, block their RRs, occupy their fortresses. The AI does not like that, and it can't get rid of your freight!

If you go into the enemy territory, doesn't that counts as break of peace treaty? I don't want a black mark on my reputation.

Placing inferior unit next to their good units. If you have an obsolete offensive unit, like a Legion, put it next to a rifleman (outside their city radius). Especially if it blocks his road/RR. It probably won't last long :lol:.

Same again. Is that a break of peace treaty?

Move a spy up to an AI city and demand they withdraw their troops. That bothers them sometimes!

Again?

Get the hawks on your side. Get stabbed in the back several times, and the hawks will eventaully rescue you and give you your desires, even without the UN.

What's the hawks? Sorry, I'm new to the game.

Yes, there is ... it is called subversion, and all you need is a dip/spy and some (a lot) of gold! :)

Break of peace treaty?

If you place a military unit witin the radi of an AI city, they can ask you to remove your troops. If you do not comply, then it will be a break of the treaty and a black mark on your reputation. However, you can have troops there as long as they don't request the move, it is fine. Also, a non-military unit (such as an explorer, caravan, or diplomat) can be within the AI's terrain and cannot be requested to leave. If you have one diplomat wandering around they can expel it, so keep two together or use a caravan or explorer. That way the only way they can rid themselves of your units is to attack.

Having troops next to the AI's troops is not a break of a peace treaty. If the AI has a unit fortified somewhere away from their cities, put a unit that they can easily kill (and you can afford to lose) next to it. That way they have a ready reason to attack you.

The 'hawks' are a group (called the Hawk Party) that will block the attempted actions of the senate and allow you to attack or continue a war.

Inciting a revolt would be a break of a peace treaty, but if you subvert a city, it is not. You pay twice as much, but it is 'unofficial' as to what happened to the city.

What I like to do is build a city two sqaures away from an enemy city where the AI has lots of troops wandering around (you can't build cities right next to each other) and then insist they remove their troops. Be sure you have the city well defended (or another variation is to leave it undefended, but I don't use that way) and they usually attack fairly quickly.

I've noticed that the difficulty level depends a lot on this too. In GOTM 8 (a warlord level game) I couldn't get the AI to declare war on me at all. But GOTM 9 (an emperor level game), I am having no problems and can manipulate them as usual.

Well said and explained, Duke... I really don't even have anything to add to that!!

BTW, I found the same thing as you did when playing GOTM 8... those darn AIs just would not be goaded into a war, esp. the pesky Celts. I spent centuries trying it! But it was my first Warlord game, so maybe this is "normal" at this difficulty level. If so, it's an advantage to play Democracy at Deity/Emperor. In GOTM 9, I'm getting lots and lots of wars and tribute and advances (I'm still in Monarchy in 1 AD, though).

Just one more question.

I know now subvert a city is not break of peace treaty. But what if you have a permanent alliance with that civ, and you try to subvert a city from that civ. Then is it consider an act of war? Can you get a bad reputation then?

Thanks for your help, it has helped me a lot.

I know now subvert a city is not break of peace treaty. But what if you have a permanent alliance with that civ, and you try to subvert a city from that civ. Then is it consider an act of war? Can you get a bad reputation then?
No, subversions are not an act of war.... you pay double price for that! No, you reputation will not be harmed by subversion. It will also not reset your "Peace" counter on the score screen... which might save you a few point for your final score.

Just one more question.
You can ask more than one, if you want... someone will find it, and no one minds seeing questions ;).

You might want to try the GOTM: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=30

It is a monthly game, and has a forum for questions too.

Top Bottom