PS4: Is Civ 6 still prone to crashing?

CivJeff99

Chieftain
Hi All

Civ 6 is currently on sale for PS4 and I'm tempted to bite. However a quick search shows that over the years the game has been beset by various crash causing bugs.

As is usually the case with the internet it's always easy to find out if a game has had bugs but a lot harder to get closure on whether the bugs got squished / resolved completely.

I see that the most recent game crashing bug was introduced earlier this year with the Portugal pack. Did it get fixed? Only partially fixed? Or completely fixed?

If I buy the game I would be definitely looking to play Huge maps with Marathon so if anyone has managed to complete a longer game on a Large or Huge map I'd be much obliged to hear of their experience.

TIA

Absolutely YES.
Happened to me only yesterday, playing on a PS4 Pro, Large Map at around turn 300 the whole game was slowing down more & more at every turn end and eventually got to the point where it just locked up, and I had to quit the application.
All I get from 2k/Firaxis are requests for screenshots, crash reports & videos - how on earth this is supposed to be provided is a mystery they do not go into however.

It is even worse on Windows 10 PC via Steam these days too, and is getting worse with each & every Windows Update (and these are forced too - you cannot elect not to install them but merely to delay for a limited time)
I will never again pay for anything from 2K/Firaxis, and I own every version of Civ since the original MS-DOS Civilization.
Disgusting levels of support right now - it's frankly a fiasco

I personally haven't experienced any crashes, but 1) I only play Standard-sized maps at Standard speed, and 2) I don't have NFP, just R&F and GS. I have experienced some freeze-ups in the later stages of a game, but (so far) they always unfreeze, eventually.

I personally haven't experienced any crashes, but 1) I only play Standard-sized maps at Standard speed, and 2) I don't have NFP, just R&F and GS. I have experienced some freeze-ups in the later stages of a game, but (so far) they always unfreeze, eventually.
You are a lucky man, then.
My experience on the PS4 Pro is shambolic, as the longer the game goes (especially past turn 200) each turn end gets slower & more sluggish and eventually the whole thing just grinds to a complete halt.
At this point all you can do is go to the main PS4 screen & close the app and restart - this loses a turn or two, but the reality is that it is dreadfully unstable in the late game period.

The game has memory leaks on all platforms: Switch, MacOS, PS4, …

Without DLC it is less of a sh*t show. The last patch is the worst since one of the early R&F patches.

It’s quite embarrassing to leave an expensive game like this in a poor state like this.

I do confess that recently the PS4 has been stable-ish, given the following caveats:
1 - No map size larger than standard. Even a standard map gets more and more sluggish with each passing turn - you can even see the little spinny thing in the lower right stopping completely on occasions once past turn 100 or so, and the longer a session runs the slower it gets until it eventually stalls completely & has to be closed & relaunched. This does indeed sound like memory leaking, which brings me to
2 - Don't play more than 150 turns in any session.
In general it is a complete cluster****, no doubt about it and it was for me the NFP that did the damage, and on PC tyhe end of turn stall or crash to desktop is almost guaranteed with a combination of 'Barbarian Clans' mode & 'Monopolies & Mergers' modes activated. The more game modes active the quicker it will crash.
I know this is the PS4 thread, but on Steam PC these days I am lucky if I get past turn 50 without a crash if both of those modes are active. It just happened again on turn 44 end, and I had to reboot the PC because even Task Manager could not kill the stalled thread.

I'm playing on the XBox One on a huge map with almost all of the expansions and it crashes almost every second turn. So I just reload from the autosave and replay one of the turns. It's pretty brutal. I'm on turn 232 in the game.

Has anyone tried playing without having your account linked to the server yet.

I can only speak from Xbox but maybe it's the same since PS4 is a console. I to like huge maps and marathon, but would constantly crash so I did some experimenting with, map size, number of players/city states, and game speed and I found map size to be the primary culprit of crashes on Xbox. My last 2 games have been standard maps on marathon and both went into the turn 800ish realm and no crashes. Last time I tried stepping up to Large started crashing around turn 300, hopefully waiting for another patch and try the larger sizes again.

playing it the last fortnight and ive not had a crash. playing large earth true starting position and running fine. took a while to get used to the buttons and still things i cant figure out how to do but running as well as it did on my mac.

Top Bottom