Pulling a Map out of a Game

Chillingworth

Chieftain
Is it possible to pull a map out of a game and play it as a different civ and change the opponents and the difficulty?

Well Chill, I have done some looking around in the map forum and somone asked basically the same question here. There were two solutions posted but they were not very clear to me. Hopefully some kind samaritan can give further enlightenment on what these two meant.
First there was a poster by the name of DLORDMAGIC he said
"You should be able to do that in the saved worldbuilder map by opening it in wordpad Its in My Documents/My Games/Civ4/Saves/Worldbuilder folder."
What exactly do you do to the map to get it to change players?
Mebbe he didn't know what he was talking about........?

Secondly, and a better sounding solution came from a poster by the handle of LOW he said
"zerothehero, you can also use an identical map over and over again my entering the seed number in your config file"
What config file? What directory is it in...im off to go a hunting but if anyone knows please help! :p

I'm confused by your question.

When you say "pull it out" do you mean extract a certain area of the map and play that with different civs and such? Or do you mean to just modify your the civs in the game and to play as whichever one you want.

If you just want to modify the civs and to choose a different one to play to easiest way I think would be to open up the game in question in worldbuilder. Make any changes you want to the civs in question and then click save. Give the game a uniqe name for the save and then exit worldbuilder, and then exit to main menu. Then go to singleplayer / play secnario / <select the game you saved> / choose civ and other settings, including difficulty.

EDIT: if you want to modify the civs to different ones you will need to open up the file in notepad and change them in the BeginPlayer ... EndPlayer section of the file. See the link below for more info on what all of the tags mean in that section.

However, if you want to redifine the map size and do lots of other fancy stuff you'll need to open up the above Civ4WorldBuilderSave in notepad and then trim the plots section down to the area you are interested in. Its easier if you use a special unit (like barbarin missionaries) in the world builder to mark the boundries of the area you want to cut out. Too tired to explain how to do it now totally, but if you want you can look here and maybe you can figure it out

Good luck

I am also trying to do the same thing. What I think he wants is just the map. No Civs already asssigned or anything like that. The format of the map would have to be the same as the ones available in the "Custom Game" section of cIV. This is so that you can create your own custom game with that map.

Top Bottom