1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

queen of the iceni mod xml error?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by klumze, Apr 21, 2011.

1. klumze

klumze Chieftain

I am failry new to the civilization series but I am hooked. I am playing civ5 right now and have civ4 on the way in the mail but I am having an issue that I cannot figure out and the answers I have found searching dont seem to fix the issue.

I downloaded the queen of the iceni v3 mod from the internal browser and installed. When I go to select the queen here description shows TXT_LEADER_CELT as well as her units, cities, etc showing similar TXT_ messages. I cannot figure out how to get it to show up correctly.

The mod worked once before but I deleted it and then reinstalled it later after changing my mind about using them. I have deleted the game cache in my documents/games folder but it didnt help. I also checked my default language in the config file since I read it was a language setting but it was set to english so I am stumped.

I have not tried any other civ5 leader mods so I do not know if it is a isolated incident but I think this something simple I am missing.

2. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

The March 1st patch changed quite a bit, like the December patch before it. One of the things that happened in the March patch was a small change in the text keys for various civs, so many custom civilizations made pre-patch won't work. It generally only takes a small amount of tweaking to fix.

Queen of the Iceni was made by Kael. Kael hasn't been on these boards since January, because of his new job. So, I'd be very surprised if that mod had been updated to be compatible with the latest game version. If you haven't used it since the patch a month and a half ago, then I'm not surprised there's a conflict.

3. klumze

klumze Chieftain

Is the fix fairly easy? I would like to know how to go about fixing it. thank you

4. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

No.

The "fix" isn't a simple change. It's that if the game now sees the same text key in multiple places, it drops the entire file containing the second instance. (Previously, it wouldn't do this quite so rigidly, so you could get away with some overlap.)
    This is most common in civilization-adding mods, since they have to add a whole long list of city names drawn from the real world. If even ONE of those cities is the same as some other civ's list, then you now have two TXT_KEY_CITY_WHATEVER entries, and the file won't load at all (resulting in all those places you see TXT_KEY entries).

So you could go through the mod and compare every text key in it to the ones in the core game, the official DLCs, and any other mods you're using. Hence, not easy.

5. klumze

klumze Chieftain

I see. So does that happen for just the cities or the units and the civilization as well? Im having the issue with all of them. I guess if I renamed everything then it MIGHT work?

6. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

Hmmm...all this makes me want to wait until the patch is released before I release my Roman scenario.

7. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

If it sees one conflict, ANYWHERE in the file, then it drops the entire file. Since most mods like this tend to dump all of their text keys into a single file, you'll see the TXT_KEY effect for all of the units, cities, buildings, et cetera regardless of which entry is causing the actual problem. Cities just tend to be one of the more common points of overlap between mods, because certain cities in history were part of multiple large empires at various points (most notably Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul).

It's actually easier to debug stuff like this in larger mods, where you often try to adhere a bit closer to the design of the vanilla game (with separate text key files for Buildings, Civilizations, Civilopedia, etc.). But you can track it down by commenting out half the file, seeing if it worked, and narrowing the commented area down until you know which entry is causing the problem.

8. klumze

klumze Chieftain

I can see how hard it would to be to get this to work correctly. Instead can anyone suggest some good mod civs for military victories? I am really interested in units capable of 2 attacks per round. I think it would be fun to play with that ability. I did enjoy the Chinese version of the crossbowman.

9. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

This is easily fixed - you only need to make three small changes in two xml files (which you can edit with Notepad).

First, navigate to the mod folder for Civ 5; in Windows 7 the default path is:

C:\Users\[Your Name]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\

Once there, go to the Civilizations folder for the Celts mod:

..\Queen of the Iceni (v 3)\XML\Civilizations

In the folder you should see a file called Civ_Celt.xml - right click on the file and select "Edit".

Find the following entries and put a "2" (or some other character - just be consistent) on the end of the "CityName" field.

Change these:
    Code:
    			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BAGACUM</CityName>
    			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MEDIOLANUM</CityName>
    			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CREMONA</CityName>

To this:
    Code:
    			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BAGACUM2</CityName>
    			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MEDIOLANUM2</CityName>
    			<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CREMONA2</CityName>

Now go to this folder:

..\Queen of the Iceni (v 3)\XML\NewText

Right click on "GameText.xml" and select edit, and find the same three "TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_XXXX" entries and add a "2" on the end of each.

Now your Celt Civ should display the appropriate text in-game. :)