Quelling Resistance

adrianj

Deity
What is the best way to get rid of resistors in cities you've just captured?

I find sometimes a single trooper is enough to wipe out a bunch of them, other times that single trooper can't seem to rid me of the final pesky resistor over a number of turns.

Does having the unit fortified make a difference? How much hp it has left?

Cheers.

Make sure you fortify your soldiers in your cities, it adds a bonus for defense, and for quelling resisters.

A unit's HP, fortification status, attack/defense values, etc. don't affect its ability to quell resistance in a captured city. The number of resisters you can quell on a given turn is equal to the number of land-based units (other than workers, settlers, scouts, explorers, and bombardment units) stationed in that city at the beginning of the turn. The chances of quelling each resister depend on how your culture compares to that of your enemy and on what governments you and your enemy are using. Check out WillJ's article on resistance in the War Academy for more details.

As for how to do it, I usually leave as many units as possible in the city on the turn I capture it to quell as much resistance as possible before the city has a chance to flip back to the enemy. If there's still resistance after that, I leave a single unit in the city so that I have a chance of quelling a resister each turn but won't lose more than one unit if the city flips.

I usually just starve 'em down to size.

Resistors don't eat and therefore can't starve. :crazyeye:

Okay, that's one for me for 1000 clues your management skills need help. :f

A unit's HP, fortification status, attack/defense values, etc. don't affect its ability to quell resistance in a captured city.

When you capture a city and it has resistors in it, the military advisor says fortify STRONG troops in the city to quell the resistance :crazyeye:. So if he says Strong troops he means troops with better attack and defense values.

Let's just say there were 2 resistors in a city and you fortified a warrior on that city. Would there by any difference fortifying a MA than a warrior on that city?

When you capture a city and it has resistors in it, the military advisor says fortify STRONG troops in the city to quell the resistance :crazyeye:. So if he says Strong troops he means troops with better attack and defense values.

Let's just say there were 2 resistors in a city and you fortified a warrior on that city. Would there by any difference fortifying a MA than a warrior on that city?

No difference whatsoever. Any land unit other than non-combat or bombardment units can quell resistance, and warriors are just as effective as modern armor for that purpose.

No difference whatsoever. Any land unit other than non-combat or bombardment units can quell resistance, and warriors are just as effective as modern armor for that purpose.

Yep! I guess you could look at it as a guy needing just as much strength to wield a stone axe as to drive a modern armor. ;)

I figure that it's best to either leave one lesser unit to quell the resistors or just leave the city empty until the AI is gone, then quell the resistors with units. At some point it's too costly to fortify units in captured cities when I'm gang-busting through the AI land. Once the warring starts, then my goal is to eliminate the arrogant nation in ten turns or less. In my last game I was successful enough to wipe out five nations in about thirty turns and win by domination. In this game it wasn't uncommon to capture several AI cities of pop. > 20 on a single turn, put a lesser unit in each city and move on to the next layer of cities to conquer. The next turn I would conquer the next out layer of cities, take the units from the cities conquered on the previous turns and fortify them in the newlyy conquered city. By rotating which conquered cities I would fortify a unit in I maximized the units needed to conquer more land.

I probably had at least ten cities flip back to their original AI, and several cities flip over to my ally, but these cities were easily recaptured. For 67% dominance I needed land and population quickly; I wasn't concerned if the cities ever became productive.

For the course of the game, over 30 of my cities flipped at one time or another. Many of the AIs had a culture score better than three times that of mine. We were stupid, irreligious people who were considered backwards and weak. But they knew how to fight!

When the AI is gone, the resistors will go the next turn, no need to quell any.

When the AI is gone, the resistors will go the next turn, no need to quell any.

Not quite; you still need units in the resisting cities to quell them. It is much easier, though.

Yeah--he's your military advisor; like any good competent general, he's going to recommend strength. :D

no, i would agree that it does have an affect on defense levels, because whenever i get a city and move a spearman in to defend, it always takes longer than when i get my rifleman or cossack moved in to defend it.

no, i would agree that it does have an affect on defense levels, because whenever i get a city and move a spearman in to defend, it always takes longer than when i get my rifleman or cossack moved in to defend it.

Actually, it doesn't. I linked to a War Academy article on resistance a few posts back--you should check it out for a detailed analysis. What does affect the chances of quelling resistance, other than the number of units in the city, is culture and government. By the time you have cossacks and riflemen, you probably have a far stronger culture compared to your enemy than was the case when you had spearmen, so resisters are less likely to show up and more likely to be quelled. Also, keep in mind that these things only determine the probability of resistance being suppressed; the actual results may not conform to the probabilities, at least not in the short run.

By Norton:
As for how to do it, I usually leave as many units as possible in the city on the turn I capture it to quell as much resistance as possible before the city has a chance to flip back to the enemy. If there's still resistance after that, I leave a single unit in the city so that I have a chance of quelling a resister each turn but won't lose more than one unit if the city flips.

Sorry I wasn't sure how to do the quote. This implies the city cannot flip on the first turn after capture is that right?

That's right. It can't flip until the second IBT after you capture it.

didnt know that flip rule.. cheers!

Top Bottom