1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions, questions

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - General Discussions' started by ahmedhadzi, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ahmedhadzi

ahmedhadzi Relocation Consultant

Hi there, my first post here, since I'm a civ player mostly, but I got myself the complete addiction (er.. edition) of Civ IV and I thought to give Col a try. Needless to say I got hooked.
    To be honest I was expecting much worse, based on some comments here, but I think the game is very interesting and nicely done.

I do have some questions though:

1) I am Monarch player in Civ: BTS and I was wondering which level in Col corresponds to Noble in Civ?

2) How many cities you recommend for a standard speed, standard size map?

3) How important is to specialize cities?

2. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

Welcome to Colonization.

1. There are only minor changes between difficulty levels here so you can move up through the levels quite quickly. It is very different to Civilization where the difference between levels is huge and stepping up a level is a major decision. I only played at mid levels in civ but I am quite comfortable playing the top level in col.

2. This is mostly a matter of personal preference. You can win the game with only 2 or 3 colonies if you prefer a faster game with less colony management to contend with. For a longer game you can build your settlement up to 10 or 12 colonies or more. That will mean a lot more micro-management and a bigger war of independence at the end.

3. Generally it is more efficient to specialize. Pick a colony site with ore available to build tools and guns and another near a resource such as cotton to produce cloth etc. It is useful though if each colony retains one forest to provide its own lumber.

3. ahmedhadzi

ahmedhadzi Relocation Consultant

So what are those changes between the difficulty levels?

4. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

Nothing major, the native tribes become more aggressive, the King is less likely to provide you with cheap military units, burial mounds and ancient ruins are more dangerous to enter, other European powers expand faster and have better defence etc.

Edit: - and of course the REF increases faster at higher difficulty levels.