Quick ArtDefines question

Putmalk

Deity
Did they ever fix the fact that you have to replace an entire ArtDefines file to get unit graphics to work?

I'm asking because I want to include an addon to my mod with units that have new graphics, but it'd probably conflict with the existing art definitions in the original mod.

Could I merely have part of the file and have it update into the artdefines?

No. They haven't fixed it, and I'd guess that most likely they never will. Anything that isn't GameData has to be done that way, whether it's a UI declaration or an art definition, because of how the VFS works. It's not parsed by an SQL converter like the gamedata is, it's used as-is.

Now, that being said, the solution is simple: put the definitions for your addon's units into the definition file in your core mod. There's no downside to having extra definitions in these files that just aren't used. In my own mod set, for instance, my art definition file includes mythological creatures for the Mythology mod as well as high-tech units for the Alpha Centauri content; there's no problem with doing this and then just not using one of the addon mods that use those definitions.

No. They haven't fixed it, and I'd guess that most likely they never will. Anything that isn't GameData has to be done that way, whether it's a UI declaration or an art definition, because of how the VFS works. It's not parsed by an SQL converter like the gamedata is, it's used as-is.

Now, that being said, the solution is simple: put the definitions for your addon's units into the definition file in your core mod. There's no downside to having extra definitions in these files that just aren't used. In my own mod set, for instance, my art definition file includes mythological creatures for the Mythology mod as well as high-tech units for the Alpha Centauri content; there's no problem with doing this and then just not using one of the addon mods that use those definitions.

Thanks Spatz. I had a feeling I would have to do this. I just wanted something...more modular. Appreciate it though. :D

Top Bottom