1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Dave Arneson

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DBear, Apr 9, 2009.

1. DBear

DBear unbeliever

Another D&D gawd has fallen...

http://www.giantitp.com/index.html

excerpt

2. fugazi

fugazi King

:'(

D&D ain't in good hands no more what with WotC owning it.

3. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

My high school had a D&D club back in the late 70's I think. I haven't heard anything about D&D in years, I figured it was gone.

4. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

I've never been part of the D&D crowd, if there is a crowd to be part of still, but I think most of gamers have or will owe the trailblazers a debt of gratitude. RIP Dave Arneson.

BTW: HAS anyone written a book on the history of RPGs, D&D, etc.

5. Maimonides

Maimonides Emperor

This is very depressing. He & Gygax went too young. They had a big impact on allot of lives.

When I was young, my Scoutmaster introduced me to a D&D campaign he ran. Soon, my friends & I were getting together on the weekends & after school to play. That ended in high school when girls, music, cars, etc. became more important. Some friends & I started up a campaign in college & it was fun, but it wasn't just wasn't the same as when we were younger.

I don't think I played anything past 2nd edition. I'm always hearing about how 4th edition & the game's current owner, Wizards of the Coast, ruined the game, but I don't know much about that. I can't overstate how much that game fired my imagination & sparked my creativity when I was a kid.