deleted

3. Which is better?
Producing a ton of GDRs and getting a huge negative on uranium (so like if you have 3 uranium income and 10 cities, build 10 GDRs, time it so they all finish at the same time, then immediately build 10 more. Them 20 GDRs is gonna give you -57 uranium upkeep)
OR
Not going into negative.
I don't think you can go into negative like that. Adding a GDR to the production queue will immediately take down your available Uranium by 1, so once you add your third to the queue, you won't be able to start producing any more before you acquire more uranium.

If you go in the negative it would explain why your GDRs are getting their butts kicked. There is a hefty penalty when you can't pay the upkeep.

Odd then. I don't remember my GDRs ever being attacked by enemy planes. But I do know that my jet fighters take a beating when attacking a GDR with the AA upgrade.

Random question about the gdr that originated during a previous game: Can GDR intercept nukes?

To answer OP:
2. Normal fighters, bombers should kill themselfs while attacking a GDR with upgrades
5. The city center district can hold 1 aircraft.

yes of course they will use airplanes. If they have flat land to build the aerodrome and the resources (oil or aluminum) to build the planes. I have lost a city once to 1 bomber and 1 tank led by Cyrus. He took my city just like a human player would take it. It doesn't happen a lot, but still.
On occasion they will use a fighter to intercept too.
I've never seen them construct airstrips though

The AI is actually using fighters?

I should have taken a screenshot but I actually saw an AI anti aircraft support unit a couple weeks ago.

I've played civ 6 for about 2000 hours and can't remember ever seeing an enemy air unit. I generally play on emperor. I'm not sure I've even seen them build an aerodome.

To be fair, I usually do tourism or scientific victory so I'm not fighting in the lategame much.

I've played civ 6 for about 2000 hours and can't remember ever seeing an enemy air unit. I generally play on emperor. I'm not sure I've even seen them build an aerodome.

To be fair, I usually do tourism or scientific victory so I'm not fighting in the lategame much.
The AI does build them. Not every game, even when they reach that tech and beyond (I've seen them with GDRs but no planes), but they definitely build them. I've seen them build them in Settler, that's how I learned that they can attack bombers while they're on an aircraft carrier.

Had to sign up to confirm, yeah, it happens. Or at least happened on the vanilla version I played in the spring when they were handing them out for free. But now that you mention it, I haven't seen any AI planes on this full version that I got a couple of months back, but I'd say it's likely cause of changes in my playing style - I haven't really got that far.

1. Can't purchase Giant Death Robots with faith?
You have to have the Grandmaster's Chapel (a Government Plaza building) to buy units with faith.

2. Does anti-air combat work?
Never seen a plane v GDR fight, but generally, anti units shred their targets. I'd be surprised.

Sidenote: Every single person who says GDRs are the ultimate endgame unit is a liar. Ultimate endgame units don't get their asses handed to them by ww2 fighters.
I've never seen a situation where the GDR wasn't walking death.

You're not fighting TDR by any chance, are you?

Anyway, looked at the state, the AA of GDRs is 90 unimproved, versus 100 (105 for P-51s), so yes, they'd get whipped by planes. That sucks. However, with Drone Defense, it goes up to 130, there's no way it should be losing against planes. Either you haven't researched Drone Defence, there's a massive buff I'm unaware of, or something is bugged.

3. Which is better?
Producing a ton of GDRs and getting a huge negative on uranium (so like if you have 3 uranium income and 10 cities, build 10 GDRs, time it so they all finish at the same time, then immediately build 10 more. Them 20 GDRs is gonna give you -57 uranium upkeep)
OR
Not going into negative.
Situational. If you're on the last Civ to be conquered or you are using them simply to guard borders, get loads. In the first scenario, you don't need them to heal, so the high damage output would end things quickly. In the latter, the combined CS would deter DoWs.

If you're in a for a long slog, fewer. You'll have lower CS/damage output over all, but they're bound to get damaged, and won't heal if you can't support them. That means after a while they will lose effectiveness and eventually die. If you can support 5 you'd have to wait until you have only 4 left before they'll heal or you can build more. Having only 4 means that they will heal, and so can be healed between each push, effectively making them immortal, short of fighters. If you have tons of resources to burn, then go ahead and build, but much cheaper to keep them to four, and use those resources elsewhere.

4. Does Changing Capitols with Didi and Automaton warfare still result in free GDRs? Or has this been fixed?
Never heard that one before.

5. I've read that you counter airplanes by pillaging their aerodrome. I don't see an Aerodrome district in the city that the planes are launched from. Even when i capture the city where the planes originated from the district isn't there. Why is this?
They can base one plane in the City Centre. They can also build air strips and use air craft carriers. My guess is one or more of those options.

I've seen one yesterday so they do make it.
Yeah I had the AI (Cyrus) use them a lot yesterday in my Deity CV game as BM Teddy.
I was happy to see that the AI used planes, and not only that, he built a lot of fighters and actually used them this time around.
Before I've seen the AI build them and then endlessly shuffle them around, but Cyrus was actually using fighters to attack cities and units this time around.

Granted, he should have built bombers instead, but overall I'm happy to see any air units being used now, which I actually hadn't seen up until yesterday.

Top Bottom