Randomized leaders, is it possible to mod the leaders traits?

dark_pretender

Warlord
In my last game i used the alt+R command for first time and got weird results.

But it woke up in me the desire to mod the leaders of the game to make them build more cities, and being more agressive.

This is the behavior i saw during this game that was kinda weird.

India was agressive but only built 3 cities i guess.

Zulues built several cities and had lots of units, this was fun.

Chinesse for my surprise survived the expansión age (in most of my games they get early defeated by another ai or even by me if they are on my continent) and also where agressive, like the indians and zulues they were trying to land units on my continent every now and then untill i started taking cities from them. They even had developed their land with irrigation and roads

English built like 7 cities and also where a bit agressive, made few attempts to land units on my continent and even once they landed a settler and built a City. But i would say their agression level was lower than the zulues and chinesse

In fact this game was all weird i started on a big continent, alone. While in another big continent there where the chinesse, zulues, and indians, on a good size island the english, the french where alone in one big island, and also the russian had their own island.

The weird thing was that when i was chasing for french and russians.. Even having good sized islands they had only their capitals, Moscow and París nothing else.

The game would have been a lot of fun if they also had built many cities and were also agressive like the chinesse and zulues.

So I wonder if its possible to mod the leaders in a way to make them go for expansión, building several cities and also being agressive. Like the chinesse and the zulues where in this game. Im playing at king difficulty with version 474.05 of the game. Thanks in advance.

Randomizing leaders gets weird results because they are random. The three attributes (aggression, expansion, militarism) are explained at the start of the last chapter of the manual. The subsequent leader entries give a hint of the default setting for every leader. In those terms, it seems that your test set Gandhi to be aggressive and perfectionist (the opposite of expansive). In Civ2, you could edit the leader attributes in the rules.txt file. I'm sure there are similar settings somewhere in the Civ1 code, but I have no idea how to access them. (btw, my first attempt at modding was replacing the graphics designers in the Civ1 credits file with some of the leader names so that they appear like movie stars in the intro ... "Starring Caesar, Hammurabi ... and Genghis Kahn").

It's interesting to note that when you change the AI leaders' attributes with ALT+R they aren't saved, meaning that if you save the game and exit they will revert back to the default attributes when you load.

Randomizing leaders gets weird results because they are random. The three attributes (aggression, expansion, militarism) are explained at the start of the last chapter of the manual. The subsequent leader entries give a hint of the default setting for every leader. In those terms, it seems that your test set Gandhi to be aggressive and perfectionist (the opposite of expansive). In Civ2, you could edit the leader attributes in the rules.txt file. I'm sure there are similar settings somewhere in the Civ1 code, but I have no idea how to access them. (btw, my first attempt at modding was replacing the graphics designers in the Civ1 credits file with some of the leader names so that they appear like movie stars in the intro ... "Starring Caesar, Hammurabi ... and Genghis Kahn").

Lol nice.
It's interesting to note that when you change the AI leaders' attributes with ALT+R they aren't saved, meaning that if you save the game and exit they will revert back to the default attributes when you load.

Im using the save states of my emulator mostly...so Im not sure what actually happens with the leaders, since usually save states are a "snapshot" of the game at that given moment

Im using the save states of my emulator mostly...so Im not sure what actually happens with the leaders, since usually save states are a "snapshot" of the game at that given moment

It's easy to check if saving and loading through the emulator reverts them back to default. Just randomize the leaders, save, quit the emulator, load and check if they match.

The broader implications of what I was saying are that leader traits are not stored in the save file for each individual game, but somewhere in the .exe.

Ran a quick test, effectively as you said if the game is loaded through in game saves, after a reload the leader traits go back to stock value, if loaded throug emulator save states, the changes made by alt+R command are retained

Top Bottom