Ranking the building quest rewards

Cromagnus

Deity
I've converted ggmoyang's building quest list into plain text so I can use it offline as a cheatsheet. (and so it can fit in one message)

(Updated to reduce weight of percentages, and boost value of agents)

I've ranked the quest rewards in three categories, and within each categories, I've ordered them based on value. Next to each building is the tech tier required:
T0 = Tier 0, T1* = T1 leaf tech, T2* = Mechatronics, which is a tier 2 but has another non-leaf tier 2 tech as a pre-req, T3* = techs that require mechatronics.

Basically, T1* requires is slightly less research than T2, etc. T0 -> T1 -> T1* -> T2 -> T2* -> T3 -> T3* -> T4.

I rank the buildings based on what I perceive to be their best quest reward. I have not bothered to rank the secondary rewards. If neither reward is bold it means I consider them equally valuable or I haven't decided.

There is a general value hierarchy I'm using in assigning these ranks:
City combat strength < Military production < Orbital production < Orbital coverage < Energy < Food < Worker speed < Production < Science < Culture < Health.

This does not take into account situational usefulness. Also, some people will probably take issue with the low ranking I give food, for example. I believe that due to trade routes, biowells, and the ectogenesis pod, food is MUCH easier to get than the other things on this list.

I'd especially like people's feedback regarding *timing*, IE value based on when the building becomes available. If a building becomes available late, or requires a major detour away from critical technologies, then the bonuses are clearly less useful.

Great quests (Ranked in order of usefulness)

Ultrasonic Fence(T1): +1 repel radius / trade convoys will not be attacked by alien units
Auto plant(T2): +1 trade route limit / +1 energy (+2 due to free maintenance)
Holosuite(T2): +2 culture / a free virtue
Institute(T2): +5% science / a free tech
Hypercore(T3): +1 science per Supremacy affinity level / +1 culture per Supremacy affinity level
Mantle(T3): +1 science per Purity affinity level / +1 energy per Purity affinity level
Microbial Mine(T3): +1 energy per Harmony affinity level / +1 science per Harmony affinity level
Augmentery(T3): +10% health / +5% to food, production, energy, science and culture
Molecular Forge(T3): +10% production / +10% science
Soma Distillery(T3): +10% health / +5% culture
Progenitor Garden(T3): +10% health / +5% science
Organ Printer(T3): +10% health / +10 heal rate
Nanopasture(T3): +10% base food / +10% energy
CEL Cradle(T2): 10% food carried over after city growth / +1 Covert Agent
Cloning Plant(T2): 10% food carried over after city growth / +1 health
Feedsite Hub(T2): +1 Covert Agent / +10% worker speed
Command Center(T2): +15 city combat strength / +1 Covert Agent
Recycler(T1): +10% worker speed / +1 food
Terra Vault(T3): +5% culture / +5% science
Borehole(T3): +5% production / +5% energy (and free maintenance)
Civil Crèche(T3): +5% base food / +10% worker speed
Growlab(T2): get 450 energy / All cities get 1 population
LEV Plant(T2*): +2 production / +2 energy (and free maintenance)
Optical Surgery(T2*): +1 sight range for units / +2 science
Field Reactor(T3): +5% energy / +2 orbital coverage

Decent quests (Ranked in order of usefulness)

Xeno Sanctuary(T3): +2 culture / +2 food
Gene Smelter(T3): +2 science / +1 health
Petrochemical Plant(T1*): +2 production from petroleum in all cities / +2 culture from petroleum in all cities
Clinic(T0): +15 city hp / +1 health
Pharmalab(T1): +1 science / +1 health
Alien Preserve(T1*): +5 heal rate / +1 science and +1 energy
Xenofuel Plant(T2): get 1000 energy / +3 energy and +2 production from Xenomass in all cities
Xenonursery(T2): get 450 science / +5 Xenomass
Old Earth Relic(T0): no maintenance for the building / +1 culture
Trade Depot(T0): +1 production / +1 energy
Network(T1*): No maintenance for the building / +1 culture
Laboratory(T1): +1 expedition for explorers / +1 science
Vivarium(T1): +1 science / +1 food
Cytonursery(T1): +5% production for military units / +1 production
Thorium reactor(T1): +2 energy / +1 production
Gene Garden(T2): +3 energy (and free maintenance) / +1 health
Neurolab(T2): +1 health / +10% production for military units
Bionics Lab(T2): +1 science / +1 culture
Biofactory(T2): +1 food / +1 culture
Gaian Well(T2): +2 energy / +1 production
Mass Digester(T2): +1 production / +1 food
Biofuel Plant(T2): +1 energy / +1 production
Alloy Foundry(T2): +2 production from Titanium in all cities / +4 Titanium
Observatory(T1): +2 city combat strength / +2 movement for naval units
Water Refinery(T1*): no maintenance for the building / +1 food
Skycrane(T3*): +2 production from Floatstone in all cities / +4 Floatstone
Bioglass Furnace(T3): +2 production from Firaxite in all cities / +4 Firaxite
Neoplanetarium(T3*): +2 orbital coverage / +10% production for orbital units

Crappy quests (In no particular order)

Defense Perimeter(T1*): +10 city hp / no maintenance for the building
Rocket Battery(T1*): +5 city combat strength / +1 anti-orbital strike range for the city
Repair Facility(T1): +1 orbital coverage / +5% production for military units
Launch Complex(T1): +1 orbital coverage / +10% production for orbital unitsNode Bank(T3): +10% city hp / +10% city combat strength
Surveillance Web(T3): Covert agents need fewer successful operations to advance in rank / +10 city hp

You're overrating percentages. Ultrasonic and Autoplant are #1 and #2 in some order for sure. The virtue and the tech have to be next up in some order. Those are off in a tier of their own.

You're also overrating health, which can be completely ignored in the early game until they patch that out. By the time you really care about Intrigue, health is easy to come by.

I think you're underrating the OER quest. It's not a huge bonus, but it lands at a time when a little extra :c5culture: goes a long way to getting that particular snowball rolling.

CEL Cradle: I think a covert agent is way better that a food bonus. Feedsite Hub is probably a toss-up.

Disagree with almost every covert agent assessment. A successful steal science is worth 1/4 of your currently researching tech. Way too good but steal science succeeds more than it fails even without support so every agent out there doing it is a big deal.

Not a bad list but there's certainly some that I find a bit off. For example -5% Culture? Don't you need 20 culture production in a city to get just 1? Science is far easier to get to make a difference, especially in every city. I also value the early building boni more as they come around right in the beginning of the game and matter for a far longer time, but that may not be the point of the ranking.

Thanks for making the list. Thanks guys for the comments. I am learning a lot from you guys.

You're overrating percentages. Ultrasonic and Autoplant are #1 and #2 in some order for sure. The virtue and the tech have to be next up in some order. Those are off in a tier of their own.

You're also overrating health, which can be completely ignored in the early game until they patch that out. By the time you really care about Intrigue, health is easy to come by.

I think you're underrating the OER quest. It's not a huge bonus, but it lands at a time when a little extra :c5culture: goes a long way to getting that particular snowball rolling.

The bonuses for good health are significant IMHO. The 10% production bonus at 10 health is pretty nice. But I agree this is a subject for debate. You can probably play the entire game with significantly negative health.

CEL Cradle: I think a covert agent is way better that a food bonus. Feedsite Hub is probably a toss-up.

I'll have to revise it to take into account the value of agents. I just played a game where I stole like 10 max-tier techs even though I had a dramatic tech lead. That's yet another issue with the tech web. The tech leader tends to have more agents, but can still steal more techs because all the most expensive techs can be researched early... :p

Disagree with almost every covert agent assessment. A successful steal science is worth 1/4 of your currently researching tech. Way too good but steal science succeeds more than it fails even without support so every agent out there doing it is a big deal.

Yeah. Agreed.

Not a bad list but there's certainly some that I find a bit off. For example -5% Culture? Don't you need 20 culture production in a city to get just 1? Science is far easier to get to make a difference, especially in every city. I also value the early building boni more as they come around right in the beginning of the game and matter for a far longer time, but that may not be the point of the ranking.

I think you're right about percentages. I'll update it. Regarding early bonuses, that's exactly the kind of feedback I want. The thing is, "early" depends on your tech choices. There's an opportunity cost to rushing towards autoplant instead of memetwork, (Meme-Twerk, the Miley Cyrus wonder, as I like to call it)... but the point is, you can get ANYTHING super early if you pay that opportunity cost.

So I guess "early" means tier. 1st tier tech vs 2nd tier tech. 2nd tier opening tech vs 2nd tier leaf tech. And by that definition I completely agree that the better quests are the ones that you can get earlier. I haven't played the game enough yet to re-order based on that, so feedback is welcome!

I've ranked the buildings by the amount of research required to get them. I'll be updating the above rankings with a number next to the name, and adjust quest ranking based on timing/availability as I have time.

Interesting note: After Tier 1, no buildings are unlocked by leaf techs.

Tier 0:
OLD EARTH RELIC: Habitation
CLINIC: Habitation
TRADE DEPOT: Pioneering

Tier 1:
LABORATORY: Chemistry
RECYCLER: Chemistry
CYTONURSERY: Genetics
PHARMALAB: Genetics
LAUNCH COMPLEX: Physics
OBSERVATORY: Physics
ULTRASONIC FENCE: Ecology
VIVARIUM: Ecology
REPAIR FACILITY: Engineering
THORIUM REACTOR: Engineering

Tier 1 leaf techs (listed as 1*)
ALIEN PRESERVE: Alien Lifeforms
ROCKET BATTERY: Ballistics
PETROCHEMICAL PLANT: Biochemistry
WATER REFINERY: Biochemistry
NETWORK: Computing
DEFENSE PERIMETER: Defense Grid

Tier 2:
XENOFUEL PLANT: Alien Sciences
XENONURSERY: Alien Sciences
CEL CRADLE: Artificial Intelligence
BIOFUEL PLANT: Biology
GROWLAB: Biology
BIONICS LAB: Bionics
INSTITUTE: Bionics
HOLOSUITE: Cognition
NEUROLAB: Cognition
COMMAND CENTER: Communications
FEEDSITE HUB: Communications
ALLOY FOUNDRY: Fabrication
CLONING PLANT: Genetic Design
GENE GARDEN: Genetic Design
BIOFACTORY: Organics
MASS DIGESTER: Organics
AUTOPLANT: Robotics
GAIAN WELL: Terraforming

Tier 2.5: (Cheaper than tier 3 but not directly accessible from Tier 1. Listed as 2*)
LEV PLANT: Mechatronics
OPTICAL SURGERY: Mechatronics

Tier 3:
MIND STEM: Alien Ethics
XENO SANCTUARY: Alien Ethics
AUGMENTERY: Augmentation
BIOGLASS FURNACE: Bioengineering
MOLECULAR FORGE: Bioengineering
NODE BANK: Cybernetics
FIELD REACTOR: Field Theory
MANTLE: Field Theory
HYPERCORE: Hypercomputing
NANOPASTURE: Nanotechnology
BOREHOLE: Planetary Engineering
CIVIL CRECHE: Social Dynamics
SOMA DISTILLERY: Social Dynamics
TERRA VAULT: Social Dynamics
MICROBIAL MINE: Synergetics
ORGAN PRINTER: Synergetics
GENE SMELTER: Transgenics

Tier 3.5 (Requires Mechatronics, listed as 3*)
SKYCRANE: Astrodynamics
NEOPLANETARIUM: Astrodynamics

Tier 4:
PROGENITOR GARDEN: Artificial Evolution

I'm always torn on that Xenofuel Plant quest. I know the yield is probably better but 1000e is 1.75 colonists... (On standard speed, so far as I can tell these don't scale)

The following buildings have free maintenance, if you choose the energy option: Gene Garden, LEV plant, and Borehole. This isn't obvious at first, but they get the reduced maintenance perk in the Player Perks file.

I'm always torn on that Xenofuel Plant quest. I know the yield is probably better but 1000e is 1.75 colonists... (On standard speed, so far as I can tell these don't scale)

Yeah, a lot of the rewards vary in value tremendously based on your circumstances. I've taken the money to rush-buy Mind Stems. But usually I wouldn't.

The following buildings have free maintenance, if you choose the energy option: Gene Garden, LEV plant, and Borehole. This isn't obvious at first, but they get the reduced maintenance perk in the Player Perks file.

Ah, good to know. So is it really +1 energy by virtue of free maintenance, or is it +2 energy (free maintenance + another 1 energy/turn)?

Autoplant also has free maintenance, so it is +2 Energy b/c it has both free maintenance and a +1 Energy yield.

This goes the same for the Gene Garden, LEV Plant, and Borehole.

Top Bottom