RB29d - Cultural Extermination

The culture slider is fine when you have 6-9 cities and are going for a cultural victory, but I felt from the beginning that it was a blunt tool. When you have a large empire playing for Culture domination/conquest I don't see how it can be efficient to feed all the commerce in your cure into unneeded culture through the slider. Similarly if you want to research, or get cash to buy cathedrals, you have to turn down the slider. Because of the advancing front line, we were spending cash at a very rapid rate (10k+ per new city at the end to set up 6 (!) cathedrals which a culture slider economy could never afford) and didn't start getting super rich until about 1940-50.

Well done guys. Beautifully played. :clap:

I don't entirely understand the culture/research sliders, especially when it comes to gold/culture/science modifying city improvements. For example, a city that gets, say, 25 coins from the tiles it is working. I'm running 80% science, so that city gets 20 beakers, right? Now if I build a library, it will get 25 beakers (.25 times 20 plus 20 = 25). Assuming culture slider is at zero, it's making 5 commerce per turn. If I build a market, (+25% commerce) that will become 6 (rounding down). My assumption is that the culture/science slider goes in before the modifying improvements.

Awesome game. Pleasure to lurk. And as was said before, the key to your game was finding the islands early.

I think that the main key to this game was on turn #1. The decision to start with Fishing and get the Fish going before the religions was huge. As it was mentioned in the thread it only delayed the 1st Settler by 2 turns and it enabled you to get your 3rd city MUCH quicker than any of the other teams. None of the other teams were able to pull off the Hindu-Buddhist-Jewish Holy City trifecta like you guys did - never mind getting the 4th holy city at Reddotstov! I think that rapid early expansion gave you an advantage that you widened as the game went on.

Well, we did do a great job on our economy compared to other teams. The shrine early on really was the right move: between the extra priests and the coins it brought it in, it let us continue research with a larger empire.

I think we had the first revolt out of any team. 130BC flipped Roosie's city of Boston -- pretty darn early!

Finally, the biggest help may have been converting Khan over to Confucianism. Other teams are having a rough time trying to split up AI alliances in the later turns of the game; we made them hate each other nice and early (Khan declaring on Toku sure helped too!)

I think that the main key to this game was on turn #1. The decision to start with Fishing and get the Fish going before the religions was huge. As it was mentioned in the thread it only delayed the 1st Settler by 2 turns and it enabled you to get your 3rd city MUCH quicker than any of the other teams. None of the other teams were able to pull off the Hindu-Buddhist-Jewish Holy City trifecta like you guys did - never mind getting the 4th holy city at Reddotstov! I think that rapid early expansion gave you an advantage that you widened as the game went on.

I tend to agree with this point.
Sulla put 2 religion in his capital, how did it help him?

Having second religion in second city is mach better. Go first after cheap finishing was a rigth move.

I am also a supporter of the SE approach, especially in this scenario.
Culture slider is a strategy best used to get the most mature cities the most culture -> culture victory.

Farms can be established nearly immediatly at new concquered cities and after rush-buying a theater you have your first artists online.
Getting GAs can be done with a CE, too, if you invest a city to become a GP farm but the SE manages this kind of automated.

The strongest argument, for sure, is the wasted culture all the core cities are producing while they could also feature income. Running an SE on the frontlines and switching to a cottage based economy in the center would be an ideal long term strategy as long as you don't neglect your GPPs.

I am going to start a similar game, at first with domination but in a second game with conquest, too, on the german boards. Just love to reproduce all the ideas :D
(quite hard to find something new...)

Conquest... I thought domination would be impossible, but conquest?! What is wrong with you people :eek: How many great artists did you guys generate?!

Although, the deity under all normal settings (12 opponants, normal game speed) still remains a mystery to be solved. I could do it with Persia only (can't do it with Incans or Romans). One of my dreams in CIV4 is winning on deity, all standard settings and conquest or domination with Ghandi. I'm wondering if it's doable, and why (or why not).

:goodjob:

The RB29d come to an End,
say WOW!

:D

It was not only educational but a lot more entertaining that I thought at first.
Thank you a lot!

BTW you did a very good game in the diplomatic point of view. No "unexpected" early wars, almost not a single city in danger and you were waring a lot.
Amazing, really amazing :)

I sure hope nobody minds me bumping this thread, but...

Perhaps it's time to return to this variant? This was a legendary SG, controlling every tile on the map! And how would it be in BtS?

Well, now Creative/Financial belongs to Willem van Oranje, who starts with Fishing.
Creative/Philosophical now belongs to Pericles, who has a UB that provides culture (when it doesn't ordinarily) and a defensive UU.
And maybe EXPANSIVE might be a better trait than Industrious or Financial for this variant. It doesn't help that the leader who is Creative/Expansive has a UB that adds EXTRA FOOD.

Too much theorizing...:eek::eek::eek::crazyeye::scan::king::D

Top Bottom