Real Great People (UI)

Real Great People (UI) 5.0.1

@Sun Ce of Wu Wow, great work, you nailed it!
I'm aware that there's a general problem with prophet's pictures since most of them are just paintings, probably imaginative. This is all we have, anyway. Again - I will write only what to fix, most of the icons are great.
  • Bodhidarma - too much profile; but I see that there isn't many good pictures; as for now OK, I will mark it as 'for future check', maybe we'll find a better picture later
  • Thomas Aquinas - need a better picture, this hunchy guy looks baaad; try this one http://www.christianitytoday.com/images/67498.jpg
So, basically only Thomas to fix :)

@Desertmoongw
Comments:
Some more tips:
  1. Always quickly check on google for possibly better image - it takes few seconds but can really save you time later; @CivLuvah usually has good pics but they do not always are well "iconizable".
  2. Dont be afraid to make icons brighter, it really makes them look much better (often). Below - same pic, but 40% brighter and 20% more contrast. The first one would look awful in the window, the latter will be great, you'll see :)
brightness.jpg

How do these look? - sun tzu is the only one with a very papery look, but then again, he several centuries older than the rest

Attachments

• Classical-Medieval-Generals.zip
    166.4 KB · Views: 173
Qiu Ying had zero images besides this one of him, which might not even be him, so sincerest apologies for the poor quality on that one in particular. Pretty much the same thing for Katsushika Hokusai. I know I definitely did some poorly, but I don't know which ones, I'll fix them as soon as you get back to me about that.

Attachments

• RGP-Artists.rar
    471.6 KB · Views: 136
@DemonEmperor Great icons!
Bacially you've got the process right. Just make the more bright (+10-15%), especially AETHELFLAED - I would even go for +40bright/+15contr.
I know it's difficult to establish that on the first try - just take a look at example pictures (in the resource) and check the icons (in mod folders), you'll feel better the whole brightness thing.

I would only comment on the selection of source pictures. It's always difficult when there's no photo or a nice painting. So basically, everyone before 1600 ad is a problem. My rule is: if there's something that is supposed to depict a person, no matter what it is (crude drawing, sculpture, etc.) I would go for it. I would refrain from using imaginative pictures and use them as last resort (e.g. movies, contemporary paintings, etc.) So, basically I'm talking about Barca right now :) The icon is really great but it's not him and there's a widely recognized sculpture that is supposed to be him: http://romeartlover.tripod.com/Aquile63.jpg. Also Boudica (movie?) - I think the image that CivLuvah found is still the best one.

The other 4 are ok. I will adjust brightness myself, its a quickie.

@Desertmoongw Damn, Artists are really difficult, I can see that. Not much good material to work with. But we'll manage :)
Lots of good, also many to fix. I will only list the latter.

Here's Tolstoy, Shakespeare and Tagore 2.0; hopefully the last of the writers!

Attachments

• TagShakeTol.zip
    57.1 KB · Views: 130
That should be the rest of them + boudica + hannibal

Attachments

• RGP_Generals.zip
    370.1 KB · Views: 137
@DemonEmperor
The icons quality is top-notch however you tend to cut too small heads - too much torso and space above them. Since all the icons from 4 sets have bigger heads now, you need to make corrections. See below how the head should fit:
tipsheadsize_small.jpg

Not to all icons, some of them are ok. To correct: Nzinga, Macarthur, Bonaparte, Lakshmibai, Toure, Bolivar.

Also, in few cases a better source will produce much better results. Please use these:
- Toure: (better resolution) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Almamy_Samory_Touré-2.jpg
- Joan of Arc: (better edges) http://www.emersonkent.com/images/saint_joan_of_arc.jpg
- Raskova: (the Russians chose that depiction, I think we should go along) https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Stamp_of_Russia_2012_No_1567_Marina_Raskova.jpg

So, 8 icons to fix, 9 are ok. Total 13 ok.

And, btw nice touch with Macarthur's pipe :)

The bigger heads edition - macarthur keeps his pipe and jeanne gets a halo

Attachments

• Bigger_Heads.zip
    228.1 KB · Views: 129
I feel like if we can't settle with a low-quality pic of Qiu Ying, it might just be best to not give him a picture, and have a question mark in the corner that if you hover over it says that we couldn't find a good picture, like you suggested before with Rublev.

Attachments

• RGP-Artists-Again.rar
    168 KB · Views: 119
New to .dds and I didn't get an option to choose a specific setting with the webconverter I used. I'm not sure if he's on the list (I can't run Civ VI atm), but William Blake's artwork is pretty impressive. Hand engraved onto copper plates, printed, and coloured with homemade paints - he was in London during the colonisation of Australia.

Attachments

• blake.png
    blake.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 137
  • RGP_William_Blake.dds.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 146
Sorry for the double-post, but I can't edit the previous upload to include Boudicca. Again, I'm not too sure about the .dds format and the spacing.

Attachments

• boudicca.png
    boudicca.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 136
  • RGP_Boudicca.dds.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 127
Top Bottom