Realistic Dates by Era

here's an idea

have a command that at every lets say 50/100 turns verifies that the number of turns to years ratio until the next era advance is good and if not adjust it

example: lets say classical era has another 500 years or so, the number of turns necessary to reach the first tech that advances the era is 100, the command calculates the year/turn ration 500/100 and sets 5 years/turn

at the next calculation after 50 turns their will be 250 years left, but lets say you have an big increase of research and now you are 25 turns till nearest tech who era advances, the command calculates again 250/25 and sets 10 years/turn

at every era advance the command calculates again the ratio so you wont have lets say 1000 years/turn going from prehistoric to ancient

I don't think thats the right direction, Thunderbrd.

Regarding "Eternity" speed: if 40-turn techs would become 50-or 60 turn techs in beginning it would tip towards unplayable imo (for me at least).

I like and support the idea that techs in eras most of the other civs haven't reached yet must be more expensive.

This will be another indirect tech diffusion modus, only that the backward civs will not receive a bonus for old techs but the leading civs a malus for newest techs.

The AI would have to learn that the newest tech would be more expensive and not the premium choice all the time. Unless it grants a trading monopoly for a tech, a very good military unit or something like +trade routes etc that would legitimize the bigger investment asap.

I have to agree with the per-city penalty. Civ V has actually just introduced that, and it has been disruptive in very negative ways. The idea there was to allow small empires to be competitive, but it has had two results - one, people have started mostly playing small and tall empires; two, people are widely criticising the system as they feel they are punished for large empires. Maybe it was overtuned (5%-7% increase per city). Still, I don't like it.

In terms of tech cost penalties, combining my idea with DRJ's suggestions, is it possible to have the penalty be applied for ages?
So, for example, if you are the first person to hit Ancient Age, your tech is 15% more expensive
When the 2nd empire hits it, both of your techs are 7.5% more expensive
When the 3rd empire gets there, the penalties go away

This being more streamlined, it may be easier to teach the AI to adhere to this.

This, as mentioned, wanders away from realistic dates. So maybe we should go back to preset dates, and apply penalties for those who get too far ahead. I'd be more than okay with that myself.

Didn't Rhye also introduce increased research costs for larger Civs in Rhye's and Fall?

Top Bottom