redundancy error

Acrockett

Chieftain
when trying to install civ 4 on my new PC (windows 8) I get an error :

file: data2.cab
cyclic redundancy check

then installation stops.

cyclic redundancy check (CRC) errors are most usually a sign of two things: Damaged installation media (DVD-ROM/CD-ROM) or damaged hardware (DVD-player/CD-player/Hard drive). I am not using Windows 8 (and hope to avoid it) but I imagine running CHKDSK on your hard drives with the /F /R option will still work.

Try installing the software on another Windows computer and if it works on the other computer, this means that the software is very likely incompatible with Windows 8. If it installs on the other computer, then the problem is Windows 8/hardware related.

CRC errors can also result when a CD or DVD copy is burnt at a faster speed than the burnable media is designed to be used. Even fresh out of the box, bad/poor quality burnable CD- and DVD-media is now a very common problem. I would say that there is never really a "good reason" to burn a disc faster than 8X.

Rarely, they can also occur when there is over-heating or damage to certain hardware on the motherboard - like a bad stick of RAM, bad chipset, bad bus, damaged BIOS, etc. But since this sort of damage most usually results in a non-functional computer, it's unlike to be your problem.

Also, (rare, but I've had it happen) trying to install programs to an external hard drive (USB hard drives, USB flash drives, etc) can result in the data becoming out of synch during installation, which may result in a CRC error. So try copying the whole install folder to your hard drive and try installing from there. If an error occurs during the copy process, this is a clear indication that there is a problem with the installation media.

Top Bottom