Religious Community

I decided to choose it over Work Ethic, mainly because of the bug, which turned out to be the right choice, since a sandstorm came from a nearby desert right after and destroyed both my holy sites lol. I'll see how it scales as the game progress.

I decided to choose it over Work Ethic, mainly because of the bug, which turned out to be the right choice, since a sandstorm came from a nearby desert right after and destroyed both my holy sites lol. I'll see how it scales as the game progress.

The main issue I encountered is that, even though it increases the gold you get from trade routes in cities with a holy site, it doesn't mean that city will be the best option for you to send a trade route from, since the destination city has a lot more effect on trade routes yields than the origin city. You might get overall better routes from one city, but since you can't send more than one to the same destination from the same origin, spreading out your routes will still give you more gold. Point is, you still need to spam holy sites to make good use of this belief, so you can send trade routes from different origins to the same destination. Focusing on one city might work if you combine it with the Great Zimbabwe wonder, but without it, you just run out of destinations that make it worth accumulating all your trade routes in one city.

Another thing to consider is that, if you focus all your trades in one city, you won't be generating trading posts in your other cities.

If it applied to a shrine or temple of your religion at the destination as well, so you could have up to +4, it would be a very nice little belief. +2 is just pathetic. Making the temple worth +2 on either side- for +3 per side or +6 total- would really be firing on all cylinders.

If it applied to a shrine or temple of your religion at the destination as well, so you could have up to +4, it would be a very nice little belief. +2 is just pathetic. Making the temple worth +2 on either side- for +3 per side or +6 total- would really be firing on all cylinders.

It would also encourage you to spread your religion to other Civs.

It would also encourage you to spread your religion to other Civs.
That’s the idea!
I don’t like how insular a lot of the beliefs currently are- choral music, Feed the World, and their ilk all encourage you to just keep your cities faithful. But surely, the rest of the world needs to hear of the one true religion!

Most of the founder beliefs are the ones meant to encourage spreading religion to other civs. Given everything said here, I'm thinking +2 gold for each shrine/temple in the origin city is probably the sweet spot. That wouldn't be overpowered but would still be a definite consideration, especially in the one holy site circumstance we've discussed.

Top Bottom