Religiously Inspired Culture Victory

Has anyone managed to pull off a relatively early Culture Victory via religious tourism? You'd need a lot of relics. You could get them by building Mont St. Michel (giving all Apostles the Martyr promotion), or via Yerevan (allowing Apostles to choose their promotion) or Kandi (a relic upon discovering a natural wonder). You'd also need the Reliquaries follower belief (triple tourism from relics). Since Kongo has extra relic slots, they'd probably be the best choice.

Is it viable to win a Cultural Victory this way, maybe even before AIs discover the Enlightenment civic (which cuts religious tourism in half?) Is this the new equivalent of a Civ V Sacred Sites victory?

'Religiously Inspired Culture Victory' screams Russia to me, actually. This is because in addition to the Relic spam, Russia gets GWAM from the Lavra and it has the benefits of a UD.

Key here is that you also have to spam Theater Districts to put Writing GW in. Getting Cathedrals for Religious Art is also very nice.

I'd say that this is very much Russia's schtick in the game.

I agree Russia is the top choice for this strategy. The Lavra is also cheaper and doesn't count against the district cap so it doesn't interfere with your commercial and industrial districts as much.

Has anyone managed to pull off a relatively early Culture Victory via religious tourism? You'd need a lot of relics. You could get them by building Mont St. Michel (giving all Apostles the Martyr promotion), or via Yerevan (allowing Apostles to choose their promotion) or Kandi (a relic upon discovering a natural wonder). You'd also need the Reliquaries follower belief (triple tourism from relics). Since Kongo has extra relic slots, they'd probably be the best choice.

Is it viable to win a Cultural Victory this way, maybe even before AIs discover the Enlightenment civic (which cuts religious tourism in half?) Is this the new equivalent of a Civ V Sacred Sites victory?

I'm pretty sure I did this by accident as china... I received an early GW and built a couple of wonders, SH, Oracle etc. I was going for a religious/domination victory on a tiny map. Conquered Egypt (who I guess was going for the same strat as me, founded a religion, built some wonders and started attacking) which founded the other religion, and basically took over there continent. I started sending missionaries over and victory screen comes up for cultural victory. I was really really confused. So far I've won 2 cultural victories, both times completely by accident.

Top Bottom