(E&E) Civilization VI - Deep Dive: Kievan Rus

TyrannusRex

Warlord
Kievan Rus Empire (Kyivan Rus)
The Men Who Row

Traders can cross Coast and Ocean tiles from the beginning of the game. All Trade Routes which cross at least 3 tiles of water increase their normal yields by +15%. Galleys and Quadriremes gain +1 movement. Melee and ranged units suffer no movement penalty when crossing Rivers.
Druzhina
Medieval Era heavy cavalry unit that replaces the Knight. Less expensive to produce and maintain than the Knight, and gains +5 combat strength if adjacent to another Druzhina. When within range of an allied Great General, the Druzhina gains +10 combat strength when attacking and yields Great General points when killing units (does not stack.)
Veche
Unique District that replaces the Government Plaza. Multiple Veches can be built, but only one per era and one per city. Once a building is built in one Veche, the same building appears for free in all other Veches. The empire-wide effects of the Veche’s buildings do not stack. Each Veche yields Culture equal to 5% of your total Culture yield, boosted to 10% with Ideology. While one of your Spies is counterspying on a Veche, that city’s Governor is 95% more likely to survive neutralization attempts.

Vladimir I
The Fair Sun

Gain +100 Faith whenever a city you founded adopts a Religion. When one of your cities with a Holy Site adopts a new Religion, you can replace the preexisting Worship building with the new one; the city gains Production equal to the Production cost of the previous Worship building. All Apostles gain the Orator promotion in addition to their normal promotion when created.
Evangelist of a Nation
Likes civilizations who spread their founded Religion to all of their cities, and will try to always keep his cities following his Religion. Dislikes civilizations who are religiously diverse or who don’t spread their Religion domestically.

Vladimir of the Rus, called the Great and Equal to the Apostles, the strength of your faith and the strength of your people have gone down in history. Now, it is time once again for you to rally your countrymen and set them forth towards greatness. Merchant and mercenary, priest and pauper alike all play their part in bringing light and prosperity to the rivers and steppes, and watching over them all is you, guided by God's hand. Go now, and let none stand in the way of your ship's prows or your horses' hooves.

Vladimir I's Details

Religion: Eastern Orthodoxy
General personality: Calm and judicious in his actions, though very welcoming; steadfast and stern if angered.

Dialogue:
Vladimir would speak Old East Slavic, though if that language isn't reconstructed well enough to use, Old Church Slavonic could also work quite well.

Spoiler Dialogue :

Voiced Lines:

Greeting: “I am Vladimir Sviatoslavich, known to the church as Basil, known to my people as Prince of Novgorod and Kyiv, and a devoted follower of the one true faith. I welcome you into my halls, friend.”

Agenda-based Approval: “Praise be to God – you know how to keep the holy word strong among your people, and your piety shall be duly rewarded.”

Agenda-based Disapproval: “You allow heathenry and blasphemy to dwell within your cities, but it is not too late to turn back to the light.”

Attacked: “I can’t believe your insolence! I will not allow my good, godly people to come under such evil, such darkness!”

Declares War: “I pray for the preservation of my armies, and my cities, and my people… and I pray that your wickedness shall be dealt with quickly by God’s hand.”

Defeated: “My nation falls, and I along with it… how can this be part of God’s plan?”

Civilopedia Quote: “I implore my people to accept this new faith; follow me to the river that you may be baptized.”
I couldn't find any direct quotes of Vladimir's, so again, I had to invent one that sounded right for him.

Unvoiced Lines:

Invitation to Capital: “The fortress of my capital may seem intimidating, but I assure you that all with good intentions in their heart are welcome there.”

Invitation to City: “Come to our nearest city, where you can see how we have torn down the idols of the old gods and embraced the Word and the Truth.”

Sends Delegation: “It’s good to see you. I have dispatched a delegation to your capital with gifts of delicious borscht, kvass, and holubtsi, a meal which I have personally blessed.”

Accepts Delegation: “Your envoys had a relaxing time in the bathhouse, and their visit ended much better than it would have under my grandmother’s rule.”

Rejects Delegation: “I’m sorry, I couldn’t possibly accept your delegation at the moment. Please ask again later.”

Accepts Declaration of Friendship: “What God has ordained, let none break asunder.”

Rejects Declaration of Friendship: “A ruler must choose his friends only after he is assured of their intentions.”

Offers Friendship: “If two peoples have formed such a strong bond, why should their leaders not acknowledge it?”

Player Accepts Offer of Friendship: “Peace and joy upon you, my friend.”

Player Rejects Offer of Friendship: “Why would one reject the good hand of friendship?”

Trade Deal Accepted: “May it be so.”

Too Many Troops Near Border: “I fear for the safety of your men if they don’t choose to withdraw from our borders.”

Denounced by Player: “This attack on my legitimacy will not go unpunished!”

Denounces Player: “If you choose to behave in such ways, I have no choice but to voice my displeasure.”

Kievan Rus' Details
Start bias: Tier 1 towards Rivers, Tier 2 towards Grassland, Plains, Tier 4 towards Mountains
Ideal victory types: Religious, Culture
Jerseys:
Kievan Rus default.png
Kievan Rus alt 1.png
Kievan Rus alt 2.png
Kievan Rus alt 3.png

This trident was a symbol of the Rurikid dynasty which established and long ruled the principality of Kievan Rus. It has since become a symbol of modern-day Ukraine, from which the default colors are derived. Jerseys 2 and 4 are derived from the modern-day colors of Belarus, much of whose territory also fell within the principality.

City List:
Spoiler Kievan Rus Cities :

🌟Kyiv
Halych
Chernihiv
Bilhorod Kyivskyi
Minsk
Murom
Pereyaslavets
Polotsk
Rostov Veliky
Ryazan
Staraya Ladoga
Suzdal
Tmutarakan
Veliky Novgorod
Iskorosten
Vyshgorod
Beloozero
Izborsk
Novgorod-Seversky
Volodymyr
Pinsk
Turov
Galich
Liubech
Chernigov
Oleshye
Peremyshl
Pereiaslav
Kursk
Vitebsk

Citizen List:
Spoiler Kievan Rus Citizens :

Males
Athanasi
Borisu
Datsko
Dawyd
Dedoslav
Dragovid
Gŭlěbŭ
Izyaslav
Mal
Olelko

Females
Cheslava
Dobrodeia
Evfimija
Iadvykha
Olenica
Olga
Poloneia
Tomyla
Wyola
Zofeia

Modern Males
Andriy
Arkady
Artem
Bohdan
Dymtrus
Fadeyushka
Glib
Hadeon
Isai
Kostyantyn

Modern Females
Anichka
Kalyna
Khrystyna
Klavdiya
Larysa
Mykhaila
Myroslava
Oleksandra
Solomia
Yana

River names: Dnipro River, Danube River, Irpin' River, Teteriv River, Psel River, Inhulets River, Dnister River, Bazavluk River, Tiasmyn River, Desna River, Bug River, Seret River...
Lake names: Yalpuh Lake, Lake Lemuria, Lake Synevyr, Lake Donuzlav, Lake Vorozhes'ka, Kuhurluy Lake, Uzunlarske Lake, Lake Kurukove, Soledarske Lake, Apshynets', Bile Lake, Kobylka Lake...
Sea/Ocean names: Black Sea, Sea of Azov, Tahanroz'ka Gulf, Yasenskiy Zaliv...
Mountain Range names: Crimean Mountains, Carpathian Mountains, Chornohora, Maramureș, Gorgany...
Volcano name: Starunya

Civilization theme: To be determined
Okay, I'll be honest, I'm having trouble picking one. I couldn't find any trace of music that survived from the Rus period, except perhaps for the lullaby Oi Khodyt Son Kolo Vikon which really sounds more like ambient music to me instead of the theme of a civilization.
That lead me to turn to more contemporary Ukrainian folk songs, the one I like best of which is Hey, sokoly!, which just sounds... well, so Ukrainian. Which leads me to think - the civ as I've described is a representation of a medieval, almost pan-East Slavic civilization that happened to be centered around modern-day Russia and Ukraine, but how much can you go in the other direction before someone says "this is just a Ukrainian civilization"?
The last idea I had (probably again for ambient music) was a Kyivan-style Orthodox chant, something like this. It would certainly sound nice and fit in with Vladimir's whole shtick. As for the overall Rus theme, it may just be best to go with a fitting original composition.

I took a big break from Enriched & Expanded for this one, not only because Kievan Rus proved difficult to design, but also because school/life got really busy and I stopped playing Civ VI for most of a year. Now that I've gotten back into the swing of things, however, I feel more inspired to keep pushing forward with the rest of the project, and hopefully keep surprising you all with interesting designs.

Druzhina's Details
Era: Medieval
Promotion Tree: Heavy Cavalry
Upgrades from: Heavy Chariot
Upgrades to: Cuirassier
Unlocks with: Stirrups
Obsolete with: Ballistics

Cost:
•20 Iron
•180 Production
•700 Gold
•3 Gold maintenance cost
Stats:
•Movement: 4
•Melee: 50
•Sight: 2

Veche's Details
Unlocked by: State Workforce
Pillage award: Culture
Production cost: 30
Maintenance: 1 Gold
Yields:
•Culture equal to 5% of total Culture yield, boosted to 10% with Ideology.
Trade Yields:
•Domestic destination: +1 Food, +1 Production
•International destination: +2 Gold
Unlocks:
Buildings:
•Ancestral Hall
•Audience Chamber
•Warlord's Throne
•Foreign Ministry
•Grand Master's Chapel
•Intelligence Agency
•National History Museum
•Royal Society
•War Department

Last edited:
Portugal boosts trade routes by 50% to all yeilds, with the trade off of being forced to only make sea trade routes, and they're still a really good civ, i dont think +100% to all yeilds from trade routes just by traveling three water tiles is remotely balanced. Personally, i would just remove this bonus, cuz the civ would still be good without them, while not being overpowered.

Kievan Rus Empire (Kyivan Rus)
The Men Who Row

Traders can cross Coast and Ocean tiles from the beginning of the game. All Trade Routes which cross at least 3 tiles of water double their normal yields. Galleys and Quadriremes gain +1 movement. Melee and ranged units suffer no movement penalty when crossing Rivers.
Druzhina
Medieval Era heavy cavalry unit that replaces the Knight. Less expensive to produce and maintain than the Knight, and gains +5 combat strength if adjacent to another Druzhina. When within range of an allied Great General, the Druzhina gains +10 combat strength when attacking and yields Great General points when killing units (does not stack.)
Veche
Unique District that replaces the Government Plaza. Multiple Veches can be built, but only one per era and one per city. Once a building is built in one Veche, the same building appears for free in all other Veches. The empire-wide effects of the Veche’s buildings do not stack. Each Veche yields Culture equal to 5% of your total Culture yield, boosted to 10% with Ideology. While one of your Spies is counterspying on a Veche, that city’s Governor is 95% more likely to survive neutralization attempts.

Vladimir I
The Fair Sun

Gain +100 Faith whenever a city you founded adopts a Religion. When one of your cities with a Holy Site adopts a new Religion, you can replace the preexisting Worship building with the new one; the city gains Production equal to the Production cost of the previous Worship building. All Apostles gain the Orator promotion in addition to their normal promotion when created.
Evangelist of a Nation
Likes civilizations who spread their founded Religion to all of their cities, and will try to always keep his cities following his Religion. Dislikes civilizations who are religiously diverse or who don’t spread their Religion domestically.

Vladimir of the Rus, called the Great and Equal to the Apostles, the strength of your faith and the strength of your people have gone down in history. Now, it is time once again for you to rally your countrymen and set them forth towards greatness. Merchant and mercenary, priest and pauper alike all play their part in bringing light and prosperity to the rivers and steppes, and watching over them all is you, guided by God's hand. Go now, and let none stand in the way of your ship's prows or your horses' hooves.

Vladimir I's Details

Religion: Eastern Orthodoxy
General personality: Calm and judicious in his actions, though very welcoming; steadfast and stern if angered.

Dialogue:
Vladimir would speak Old East Slavic, though if that language isn't reconstructed well enough to use, Old Church Slavonic could also work quite well.

Spoiler Dialogue :

Voiced Lines:

Greeting: “I am Vladimir Sviatoslavich, known to the church as Basil, known to my people as Prince of Novgorod and Kyiv, and a devoted follower of the one true faith. I welcome you into my halls, friend.”

Agenda-based Approval: “Praise be to God – you know how to keep the holy word strong among your people, and your piety shall be duly rewarded.”

Agenda-based Disapproval: “You allow heathenry and blasphemy to dwell within your cities, but it is not too late to turn back to the light.”

Attacked: “I can’t believe your insolence! I will not allow my good, godly people to come under such evil, such darkness!”

Declares War: “I pray for the preservation of my armies, and my cities, and my people… and I pray that your wickedness shall be dealt with quickly by God’s hand.”

Defeated: “My nation falls, and I along with it… how can this be part of God’s plan?”

Civilopedia Quote: “I implore my people to accept this new faith; follow me to the river that you may be baptized.”
I couldn't find any direct quotes of Vladimir's, so again, I had to invent one that sounded right for him.

Unvoiced Lines:

Invitation to Capital: “The fortress of my capital may seem intimidating, but I assure you that all with good intentions in their heart are welcome there.”

Invitation to City: “Come to our nearest city, where you can see how we have torn down the idols of the old gods and embraced the Word and the Truth.”

Sends Delegation: “It’s good to see you. I have dispatched a delegation to your capital with gifts of delicious borscht, kvass, and holubtsi, a meal which I have personally blessed.”

Accepts Delegation: “Your envoys had a relaxing time in the bathhouse, and their visit ended much better than it would have under my grandmother’s rule.”

Rejects Delegation: “I’m sorry, I couldn’t possibly accept your delegation at the moment. Please ask again later.”

Accepts Declaration of Friendship: “What God has ordained, let none break asunder.”

Rejects Declaration of Friendship: “A ruler must choose his friends only after he is assured of their intentions.”

Offers Friendship: “If two peoples have formed such a strong bond, why should their leaders not acknowledge it?”

Player Accepts Offer of Friendship: “Peace and joy upon you, my friend.”

Player Rejects Offer of Friendship: “Why would one reject the good hand of friendship?”

Trade Deal Accepted: “May it be so.”

Too Many Troops Near Border: “I fear for the safety of your men if they don’t choose to withdraw from our borders.”

Denounced by Player: “This attack on my legitimacy will not go unpunished!”

Denounces Player: “If you choose to behave in such ways, I have no choice but to voice my displeasure.”

Kievan Rus' Details
Start bias: Tier 1 towards Rivers, Tier 2 towards Grassland, Plains, Tier 4 towards Mountains
Ideal victory types: Religious, Culture
Jerseys:
View attachment 686446View attachment 686447View attachment 686448View attachment 686449

This trident was a symbol of the Rurikid dynasty which established and long ruled the principality of Kievan Rus. It has since become a symbol of modern-day Ukraine, from which the jersey colors were derived.

City List:
Spoiler Kievan Rus Cities :

🌟Kyiv
Halych
Chernihiv
Bilhorod Kyivskyi
Minsk
Murom
Pereyaslavets
Polotsk
Rostov Veliky
Ryazan
Staraya Ladoga
Suzdal
Tmutarakan
Veliky Novgorod
Iskorosten
Vyshgorod
Beloozero
Izborsk
Novgorod-Seversky
Volodymyr
Pinsk
Turov
Galich
Liubech
Chernigov
Oleshye
Peremyshl
Pereiaslav
Kursk
Vitebsk

Citizen List:
Spoiler Kievan Rus Citizens :

Males
Athanasi
Borisu
Datsko
Dawyd
Dedoslav
Dragovid
Gŭlěbŭ
Izyaslav
Mal
Olelko

Females
Cheslava
Dobrodeia
Evfimija
Iadvykha
Olenica
Olga
Poloneia
Tomyla
Wyola
Zofeia

Modern Males
Andriy
Arkady
Artem
Bohdan
Dymtrus
Fadeyushka
Glib
Hadeon
Isai
Kostyantyn

Modern Females
Anichka
Kalyna
Khrystyna
Klavdiya
Larysa
Mykhaila
Myroslava
Oleksandra
Solomia
Yana

River names: Dnipro River, Danube River, Irpin' River, Teteriv River, Psel River, Inhulets River, Dnister River, Bazavluk River, Tiasmyn River, Desna River, Bug River, Seret River...
Lake names: Yalpuh Lake, Lake Lemuria, Lake Synevyr, Lake Donuzlav, Lake Vorozhes'ka, Kuhurluy Lake, Uzunlarske Lake, Lake Kurukove, Soledarske Lake, Apshynets', Bile Lake, Kobylka Lake...
Sea/Ocean names: Black Sea, Sea of Azov, Tahanroz'ka Gulf, Yasenskiy Zaliv...
Mountain Range names: Crimean Mountains, Carpathian Mountains, Chornohora, Maramureș, Gorgany...
Volcano name: Starunya

Okay, I'll be honest, I'm having trouble picking one. I couldn't find any trace of music that survived from the Rus period, except perhaps for the lullaby Oi Khodyt Son Kolo Vikon which really sounds more like ambient music to me instead of the theme of a civilization.
That lead me to turn to more contemporary Ukrainian folk songs, the one I like best of which is Hey, sokoly!, which just sounds... well, so Ukrainian. Which leads me to think - the civ as I've described is a representation of a medieval, almost pan-East Slavic civilization that happened to be centered around modern-day Russia and Ukraine, but how much can you go in the other direction before someone says "this is just a Ukrainian civilization"?
The last idea I had (probably again for ambient music) was a Kyivan-style Orthodox chant, something like this. It would certainly sound nice and fit in with Vladimir's whole shtick. As for the overall Rus theme, it may just be best to go with a fitting original composition.

I took a big break from Enriched & Expanded for this one, not only because Kievan Rus proved difficult to design, but also because school/life got really busy and I stopped playing Civ VI for most of a year. Now that I've gotten back into the swing of things, however, I feel more inspired to keep pushing forward with the rest of the project, and hopefully keep surprising you all with interesting designs.

Druzhina's Details
Era: Medieval
Promotion Tree: Heavy Cavalry
Upgrades from: Heavy Chariot
Upgrades to: Cuirassier
Unlocks with: Stirrups
Obsolete with: Ballistics

Cost:
•20 Iron
•180 Production
•700 Gold
•3 Gold maintenance cost
Stats:
•Movement: 4
•Melee: 50
•Sight: 2

Veche's Details
Unlocked by: State Workforce
Pillage award: Culture
Production cost: 30
Maintenance: 1 Gold
Yields:
•Culture equal to 5% of total Culture yield, boosted to 10% with Ideology.
Trade Yields:
•Domestic destination: +1 Food, +1 Production
•International destination: +2 Gold
Unlocks:
Buildings:
•Ancestral Hall
•Audience Chamber
•Warlord's Throne
•Foreign Ministry
•Grand Master's Chapel
•Intelligence Agency
•National History Museum
•Royal Society
•War Department
Although the trident of the Rukurid Dynasty (which also, I might note, included in another branch of the same family of Vasily I, Ivan III, Vasily III, and Ivan IV (the Terrible), Princes, then Grand Princes, then Czars, in Moscow) WAS a symbol used in the Kievan 'Rus (though it started to be used with greater frequency and motive use by 16th and 17th Century Ukrainian Cossack Hosts who, themselves, at least some,were the ones who introduced the blue-yellow colour scheme beyound one Gallician coat-of-arms in Volyzhia in the the periphery of the Mongol invasion of Eastern Europe), portraying the polity as specifically, "Ukrainian," and not, "Old East Slavic," centuries prior to any notion of Ukrainians, Russians, Belarussians, Ruthenians, or Rusyns as anywhere near distinct or separate people strikes me as a little revisionist and politicized to pander to the modern zeitgeist, and that is, in my opinion, something these kind of strategy should avoid.

Edit 3/14/24: Altered The Men Who Row's Trade Route boost from +100% to +15%.
No response, or even acknowledgement, of my cautionary post?

Although the trident of the Rukurid Dynasty (which also, I might note, included in another branch of the same family of Vasily I, Ivan III, Vasily III, and Ivan IV (the Terrible), Princes, then Grand Princes, then Czars, in Moscow) WAS a symbol used in the Kievan 'Rus (though it started to be used with greater frequency and motive use by 16th and 17th Century Ukrainian Cossack Hosts who, themselves, at least some,were the ones who introduced the blue-yellow colour scheme beyound one Gallician coat-of-arms in Volyzhia in the the periphery of the Mongol invasion of Eastern Europe), portraying the polity as specifically, "Ukrainian," and not, "Old East Slavic," centuries prior to any notion of Ukrainians, Russians, Belarussians, Ruthenians, or Rusyns as anywhere near distinct or separate people strikes me as a little revisionist and politicized to pander to the modern zeitgeist, and that is, in my opinion, something these kind of strategy should avoid.
What alternative symbol would you have for Kievan Rus'?

What alternative symbol would you have for Kievan Rus'?
The symbol may have been accurate, it is is the notion of the Kievan 'Rus being a specifically Ukrainian civ, and not the undifferentiated Old East Slavs (as well as using the blue-and-yellow banner colours that far back) that give that one the idea that it comes across as historical revisionism, especially in today's geo-political environment.

The symbol may have been accurate, it is is the notion of the Kievan 'Rus being a specifically Ukrainian civ, and not the undifferentiated Old East Slavs (as well as using the blue-and-yellow banner colours that far back) that give that one the idea that it comes across as historical revisionism, especially in today's geo-political environment.
Well, you have to select some colours for the civ, so why not the colours of the modern-nation state it occupies more or less the same geographical area as? Also, there's a (pre-2014) Kievan Rus' mod I'm playing with in my current Civ5 run, and it also has the Ukrainian colours.

I myself am leary of the deplorably common trend of accepting Ukrainian nation-myth of Kievan Rus' being specifically Ukrainian as not only a fact but also as some sort of obligatory mantra that everyone must adhere to, but this particular design very wisely sidesteps all that, so I feel that your concerns are misplaced.

Where does the OP call this a Ukrainian civ?
Using a, "Ukrainian folk song," a, "Ukrainian Orthodox Chant," and the blue-and-yellow banner of Ukrainian Cossack Hosts several centuries later says it all.

Well, you have to select some colours for the civ, so why not the colours of the modern-nation state it occupies more or less the same geographical area as?
You mean Eastern and Central Ukraine and Belarus and the Northwestern part of the modern European Russia? The map of Kievan 'Rus was probably not what you think it is.

This is a banner associated with at least part of the Kievan 'Rus at some point (as it was decentralized)

Kiev_rus_flag.png

You mean Eastern and Central Ukraine and Belarus and the Northwestern part of the modern European Russia? The map of Kievan 'Rus was probably not what you think it is.
But Russia is already in the game. Fair point about Belarus. Kievan Rus' could have two Ukrainian jerseys and two Belarusian

But Russia is already in the game. Fair point about Belarus. Kievan Rus' could have two Ukrainian jerseys and two Belarusian
But Russia was born of the Kievan 'Rus, too, and many of it's important cities, like Novgorod, Pskov, Smolensk, Voronezh, Vladimir, etc. were also important city-states in the Kievan Rus', and Ivan Terrible (a favourite perrenial Russian leader), was also a Rurikid - the same dynasty and family as Volodomyr the Wise! To just, "excorcise," the Proto-Russian elements from the Proto-Ukrainian and Proto-Belarussians would conpicuoulsy, "maim," or, "truncate," the Early Medieval civ. Can you not see this?

I know what you mean, but I was only responding to your point about the colour scheme. You said it was Ukrainian, so I said it could be Ukrainian and Belarusian, two countries associated with Kievan Rus' that are not in the game.

You do realise that since Russia already is in the game, divesting from Russian elements makes sense so there is little overlap betwixt the two? Now if this were a proposed design for a future Civilization game (which might or might not have a Russian civilization) then that would be a different matter.

I know what you mean, but I was only responding to your point about the colour scheme. You said it was Ukrainian, so I said it could be Ukrainian and Belarusian, two countries associated with Kievan Rus' that are not in the game.

You do realise that since Russia already is in the game, divesting from Russian elements makes sense so there is little overlap betwixt the two? Now if this were a proposed design for a future Civilization game (which might or might not have a Russian civilization) then that would be a different matter.
It would seem very, very weird to a Kievan 'Rus without Novgorod, Smolensk, Voronezh, or Vladimir-Suzdal, to be honest. Perhaps the TO could try to build a civ in the style of the Sarmatians for the Sich/Hetmanate States of the 15th to 17th Centuries, which would be mostly undiscovered country as Civ goes, but far less ambiguous - especially in today's zeitgeist.

Using a, "Ukrainian folk song," a, "Ukrainian Orthodox Chant," and the blue-and-yellow banner of Ukrainian Cossack Hosts several centuries later says it all.

I think you glossed over OP's commentary:

Top Bottom