Removing Building Quests

Starrynite120

Prince
I'm working on a total conversion mod called into the Nebula, and I wanted to get some opinions on building quests. I personally think there are just way too many yields/bonuses floating around in the game and too many ways to get them, which is part of why the game is so easy and short. Between wonders/buildings, virtues, affinity perks, and now the diplomacy system there's just so many different ways to get perks, it seems unnecessary. Now the building quest system wasn't done all that well in the original game, so I originally planned on making the quests more meaningful, but as I was going through them I just started to feel they were unnecessary and just one more way to get something that was abundant.

So what I want to know is do others share this opinion? Do you think building quests should be removed? I should mention I have completely redone building and wonders abilities/yields, as well ad affinity perks and virtues to make them all more interesting (or so I hope :p).

Personally I like he building quests. They add colour and depth to the game.

The best way to make the game more challenging is not removing this kind of content, but to find a way to make the AI play more intelligently. However, I know that is easy to say, not so easy to do.

For my own overhaul I have removed a lot of building quests and increased the impact of those that remain (factoring that into the overall yield). I personally don't like the many "Pick Yield A or Pick Yield B!"-decisions because really... most of them are not decisions, they're questions with an obvious, right answer, but answering "wrong" really doesn't make much of a difference because the impact of those building quests is extremely small anyway.

I also like Machiavellis solution in his New Horizons Mod which makes all quests somewhat impactful with a lot of situational quest decisions, without making them feel too strong.

What I personally would definitely not do is to completely remove the system.

Ryika, how did you remove just some of them? I like that idea. I know how to remove all, but I wasn't sure how I could do just some.

All building quests are in BuildingChoiceTemplateQuest.lua, you can simply delete the code for the specific ones you want to see gone.

Top Bottom