• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Renaming things: what can('t) be named in the game?

Sinterklaas

Chieftain
To add my personal flavour to the game, I like renaming things. So I have some questions:

Can I (re)name:
1. A city after I have founded it?
2. Another civ's city after I have conquered it?
3. Another civ's capital after I have conquered it?
4. A puppet city?
5. A city state after I have conquered it?
6. Natural wonders?
7. Units?
8. Geographic locations like mountain ranges, rivers or seas?
9. My civilization and/or leader?
10. Other civilizations and/or leaders?

Maybe some people will consider this an unimportant question but I really like to "assimilate" a city into my empire by renaming it into something that fits the language of my civ. When I play as the Japanese I don't want to end up with a city called "Birmingham" right in the middle of my Japanese empire. I also like renaming certain cities to their native names instead of their English ones, or am I the only one who has always disliked seeing Köln as "Cologne", Den Haag as "The Hague", Wien as "Vienna", København as "Copenhagen", Venezia as "Venice", Lisboa as "Lisbon", etcetera?

You can rename cities you have captured, by you cannot rename puppet states unless you decide to annex them.

How do you change the city name when you found one? When I build a city it just plops it down, and I don't get the option of changing the city name. I never used the provided city names in civ4. any help?

How do you change the city name when you found one? When I build a city it just plops it down, and I don't get the option of changing the city name. I never used the provided city names in civ4. any help?

Go like this:
city screen (click on the city name tab in map view)-> just under the name of the city there is a rather small text saying "Edit"-> click on that.

That is about it. Have fun!;)

To add my personal flavour to the game, I like renaming things. So I have some questions:

Can I (re)name:
7. Units?

i really like renaming units, and they actually did it in the 2-hour demo video, but i can't figure out how to do it now that i've got the game. they said the unit has to get a promotion first (not sure why that's a requirement), but even after my units get promoted i still can't rename them.

When the promotion box is up at the bottom left of the screen, you'll see a small button at the top right corner of the box marked "Edit". That's your renaming. You can only rename DURING the promotion. After you've assigned the promotion the edit box is gone until the next promotion.

The "no" answers to the OP are 4, 6, 8, and I think 10. All 6 others are possible, and 10 may be possible in game setup, but I don't like preassigning AI civs so I'm not sure. I do definitely miss adding signs to the map as in Civ4 (reminders to myself of where I'd like to place cities and the like if nothing else).

When the promotion box is up at the bottom left of the screen, you'll see a small button at the top right corner of the box marked "Edit". That's your renaming. You can only rename DURING the promotion. After you've assigned the promotion the edit box is gone until the next promotion.

oh wow--that's a strangely narrow window. but thanks for telling me how to do it.

I do definitely miss adding signs to the map as in Civ4 (reminders to myself of where I'd like to place cities and the like if nothing else).

yeah, i used to always mark the map with future city locations, and also with suggestions for tile improvements. i would definitely like to see that back in future patches/versions.

Top Bottom