Requirements for railroad revisited

Marzipan

Warlord
Ok one of my peaves is that coal is a requirement for railroads regardless of whether you have advanced beyond steam power technologically.

The way the rules file is set up now, it looks like the way you would have to do this is add another worker job for railroads with combustion as the required technology and iron and oil listed as the required resources. The worker should make the same railroads though. Does anyone know what it would take to add a worker job like this?

Another idea is to just change coal to oil as the railroad requirement. This might be closer to reality anyway, since even the old steam locos required lots of grease and oil for lubrication, and the more powerful later steam locos ran on oil anyway.

Perhaps another idea, if it's possible, would be to have two kinds of railroads with different movement properties. The coal and iron railroads wouldn't have unlimited movement; limit them to be like a road but with a movement of 6. Then railroads made after the discovery of oil and combustion could be the "regular" railroads. Another rational for the slower older railroads is that advances are made in track design, etc, allowing trains to go faster on more modern track. Does anyone kow how this could be done?

Ed O'War

King
Others have posted on the same topic before, that trains require coal even in the modern era when most trains run on oil (or electricity). I agree it would be nice to differentiate between the two, but I think that railroad movement is presently hardcoded into the game. The only choice you have is to change the resource requirement to oil. I don't know if adding another worker job would do the trick either...the game probably couldn't handle it.

Marzipan

Warlord
Ok here's another idea, something that may be a good compromise that is doable. I'm gonna try it out.

Make the requirements for the worker job "build railroad" Industrialization, Iron, and Oil. Then make oil available when you have the industrialization tech. This sounds pretty good to me.

Top Bottom