Resources and Civilians - Ideas!

Bjornoid

Chieftain
I feel like clay and peat could do with more clarity on where they spawn and what we can do with them. For example, for one whole game, I was forced to import clay to properly build as I could not find any plots that made it. So suggestions as follows:

Make clay more commonly found, or found in more biome tile types.

Add option to turn clay into bricks, for profit or more end tier buildings, maybe paved roads? (no clue if possible)

Add option to extract iron ore from peat (a common thing done historically) so it has more uses than just feeding the potter.

More clarification on which animal (chicken, duck, sheep, goat, pig) will actually prosper on what tile. Possibly having it as part of the tooltip over the resource while purchasing/selling.

Why do natives buy chickens but not ducks? Or some other animals?

More ways to transport buccaneers out of Port Royal that is not just the pirate cutter. Maybe allow privateer to do it as well?

Since we have privileged tier citizens now, maybe a spare building that can house things like maids/servants/butlers that would provide happiness points but based on privileged citizens.

Since we have baked goods, maybe have the meat variant as well that expends wild birds, whale meat and or hunter production. Its kind of hard to get it started up on early as is sometimes.

Maybe baked goods being able to be made out of grain too?

Something else to be done with milk.. or separating cheese makers from the stable, as I end up with far more milk production that what can be done with it.

Allow household goods and what ever the other marketplace item is called to be made from normal wood + something as well?

Make clay more commonly found, or found in more biome tile types.
We actually want to improve that as well. We will have to see if we improve Maps or MapScripts realted to it or adjust Terrains. :thumbsup:
Add option to turn clay into bricks, for profit or more end tier buildings, maybe paved roads? (no clue if possible)
Nope, we have no more Space for Buildings / Professions in City Screen - that would have needed to be discussed before the Yield Overhaul. :nope:
Add option to extract iron ore from peat (a common thing done historically) so it has more uses than just feeding the potter.
Nope, we have no more Space for Buildings / Professions in City Screen - that would have needed to be discussed before the Yield Overhaul. :nope:
More clarification on which animal (chicken, duck, sheep, goat, pig) will actually prosper on what tile. Possibly having it as part of the tooltip over the resource while purchasing/selling.
We already have a discussion ongoing how to improve Colopedia or deliver e.g. something like a "Production Chain" Screen or to have tooltips - all already ongoing. :thumbsup:
Why do natives buy chickens but not ducks? Or some other animals?
Natives do buy Geese if they have the money for it, I just tested it. (Also it is configured in XML.) :think:
See here from my tests, it works flawlessly (if they have the money):
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

More ways to transport buccaneers out of Port Royal that is not just the pirate cutter. Maybe allow privateer to do it as well?
That was purposely not done to avoid exploits and keep a certain level of challenge. :nope:
Since we have privileged tier citizens now, maybe a spare building that can house things like maids/servants/butlers that would provide happiness points but based on privileged citizens.
As I said, no more space in City Screen and even if, we still need it for important planned features and cannot waste it. :nope:
Since we have baked goods, maybe have the meat variant as well that expends wild birds, whale meat and or hunter production. Its kind of hard to get it started up on early as is sometimes.
As I said, no more space in City Screen and even if, we still need it for important planned features and cannot waste it. :nope:
Maybe baked goods being able to be made out of grain too?
It is a very bad idea for gameplay and also AI to mix too much. Food is needed for Growth and should not be messed with considering other purposes. :nope:
Something else to be done with milk.. or separating cheese makers from the stable, as I end up with far more milk production that what can be done with it.
Like what? How much milk you will actually have just depends how strongly you use it. But that can happen with every Yield. Can e.g. happen with Tobaccor or Sugar as well. :dunno:
Edit: In next release it is also heavily consumed by Domestic Market. (Already implemented to my knowledge.)
Allow household goods and what ever the other marketplace item is called to be made from normal wood + something as well?
We will see, currently it is not even a strategic Yield, so it is basically just a commoditiy like everything else right now. :dunno:

Unless e.g. this here may be implemented - which it currently does not look like:

------

Thanks for your suggestions. :thumbsup:
But as I explained most of them will not make it.
And the rest we are already planning to work on anyways.

Last edited:
and peat could do with more clarity on where they spawn and what we can do with them
What is peat and rubber used for? I can't see a purpose of producing them at all... Is there a graphic resource tree to see what I can do with each resource?

What is peat and rubber used for?
Peat can be used for producing Pottery.
Rubber is more or less similar to Silver, rare and expensive.

Is there a graphic resource tree to see what I can do with each resource?
Not yet, but maybe in the near future we will have one.
It depends simply on finding motivated people to support which such things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom