Resources as prerequisite for Techs

LouLong

In love with Rei Ayanami
I really wish we could have resources as prerequisite for techs.

That would enable geographically different tech trees for instance or create a real model of the spreading of horses.

This wouldn't work. Imagine not being able to progress up the tech tree because you don't have a resource and the AI won't trade it to you?

I like this. How can you research horseback riding without horses? Of course then horseback riding shouldn't be a prerequisite. But you all knew that. :D

you will need iron for ironworks (?) but then after what tech you will be able to see iron? Anyway I agree with this.

Originally posted by mrtn
I like this. How can you research horseback riding without horses? Of course then horseback riding shouldn't be a prerequisite. But you all knew that. :D

Actually it is more complicated than that (that was the easy Swedish verion ;) ).

Imagine two resources for horses : wild ones and domesticated ones.

Wild ones enable you to research horsebackriding. Horsebackriding then makes domesticated horses appear.
Then you can trade the tech with other civs that will "discover" domesticated horses in their area, symbolizing the spreading of horses along the tech-trading route.

The same way, all different kind of reginal resources would lead to different regional tech-trees, enabling civ specific-tech trees

I atcually agree with this but feel that, with resources such as iron, oil and uranium, for instance, it's not that they ALLOW a tech to be discovered, but that having the resource should allow a much faster rate of research for the relevent tech! For instance, iron should probably become visible with an early tech like "Smelting" or "Mining" for instance. Then, once you have discovered iron deposits, the iron working either becomes available, or is always available but is now easier to study (practice rather than theory :)) That's how I see it, anyway ;)!!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Top Bottom