Respawns in Civ2

Jokemaster

Insert something here
During the last game I played, I decided to go for late conquest. I'm past 1500 AD, where respawn of civs is supposed to stop. It did not stop however, with 3/4 civs respawning during the next 2 turns... what is happening? When will it finally stop? What do I not know about respawns that I need to know, and how can I stop respawns from happening when I conquer a civ? Or will I have to destroy 10 more respawns until that finally stops?

I was thinking bribing the enemy settlers since I can't destroy them, because I'm in Democracy and the Senate does not like it when I try to take the initiative. However, I read somewhere that bribing the enemy settler won't destroy the enemy civ, even if they have zero cities, zero units, zero everything. Do disbanding the just-bribed settler will do the trick? Or will I have to make a revolution to kill the remaining settlers the ''normal'' way? (btw, they can't settle because the map already holds 255 cities. 5/6 civs left, one is a respawn that respawned once, with 1 city left. The other 4 are settlers. Out of them, 3 of them respawned once and 1 of them respawned twice. The last civ did not respawn a second time)

When I tried bribing settlers like you suggest (in a GOTM a long time ago), I got a message that the civ in question was "destroyed by barbarians" during the in-between turn phase. Other than that, I don't know anything about restarting civs.

As far as I know, the exact conditions that lead to respawns are not known. They become less frequent after 1500, but do not stop. Although I do not recall ever bribing the last remaining settler of a rival, I believe it will destroy the civ. Like Prof. Garfield I have seen the message "destroyed by barbarians" after I have taken the last city of a rival who has units left.

I would normally simply bribe, reload and see what would happen, but my game would make it to the HoF if I would submit right now, so reloading is obviously not an option... oh well. Not fun. (and btw, a HoF submission requires a 1500 BC save. The only save close to that date that I have made is 925 BC... would that make the cut or not?)

Like Prof. Garfield I have seen the message "destroyed by barbarians" after I have taken the last city of a rival who has units left.

That would explain something that happened to me in GOTM 118, when I destroyed the Russians who still had a settler and a chariot. Thanks!

Anyways, guess I'll simply go for it. No biggie anyways, it's just a game. I'll keep you updated.

EDIT: It worked! Except that the Russians, after respawning once, respawned again! I don't understand that...

Some Apolyton players studied respawns quite a bit; lots of testing, lots of stats, but few clear simple conclusions. IIRC respawns stop at 1500AD at Diety level, but maybe later at other levels (Apolytoners seem to feel other levels were beneath them! so other levels weren't studied so much).

IIRC from my games, bribing the last settler kills the civ, and a respawn usually occurs (just like other ways of killing a civ). My memory of this is fuzzy though.

The number of respawns is unpredictable. It can vary from 0 to approx 4 per civ. I've had roughly 20 respawns total in several of my games, but have never counted more than 25 in a game.

It can vary from 0 to approx 4 per civ. I've had roughly 20 respawns total in several of my games, but have never counted more than 25 in a game.

NOT FUN. I already had 10 respawns (and just bribed 2 more settlers so maybe 12 next turn)

Maybe I should go for spaceship after all... but after putting science to 0% for a lot of turns simply for last-minute rushes, it won't be pretty.

Well, yeah, every EC player prefers to have respawns off because they are really just annoying. But if you are playing this for HoF, I don't see why you'd care. There is no rush to finish quickly, and you'll probably have to micromanage your cities WAY longer than your wars.

Top Bottom