RFC Europe idea: Minority Assimilation

micbic

Optimistic Pessimist
As we know, when a city is captured by someone, it is resisting for a number of turns, and then everything is fine. This is a bit unrealistic, because pure violence wasn't used in every case. So, the proposed model for dealing with other ethnicities after capturing a city is the following:
1st choice: Attempt to assimilate [ethnicity], use violence if necessary. Some turns of resistance, and after that everything is fine, and the ethnicity is taken out of the city. Effects include higher prod (10-20%), due to the fact that people belong to the same nation (remember that ethnicist nations, eg fascist Italy or nazi Germany had a developed industry) and lower econ output in the city, for the same reason
2nd choice: The ethnicity will assimilate by the time: resistance turns cut by half, and then the minority gradually gets reduced, and finally intergrates into the dominant population. No gains or losses.
3rd choice: Preserve the minority: No resistance, and minorities gradually reduce until reaching a certain percent (20-30%), where it stays. A large gold amount is needed to be paid . Gains include diplo bonus with minority owner civ, and an increased science output in that city.
What's your opinion about that? Is it codable?

Interesting idea but I've no idea if it could be coded. Also, it seems to assume that the captured people are always of a different ethnicity or always would resist the capture of a city. In history, that wasn't always the case. I can think of lots of scenarios where the people welcomed the conqueror as liberator or even invited them in. Like in the Middle East in places like Jerusalem where most of the people defied their leaders and welcomed Khalid ibn Al Walid as a liberator. So not always the same in every case.

Well, wars of liberation are a totally different case. Cases of where a war could be described as a liberation one would be the typical 'recapture the city that has our majority' and perhaps 'to save our brothers of faith'. But there is a minority in that case as well, the minority of the conqueror which managed to get into the city in the time it was captured.

Interesting idea, I must say. The minorities could be easily represented with culture (however misguiding that might be), but I beg to differ about the effects. Would you have the same option when settling cities or having cities flip to you? And would you have "super" industrialism in your border cities with forced ethnicity, however not at the core of your empire? Preserving one's own culture might be a strategical weapon which is why it shouldn't be restricted to city capture alone.

If you would make that a universal addition, it's almost certain that immigrants should be included in the game to give a reason not to ethno-bomb your core cities.
And you're right, diverse cultures should increase the scientific output in that city. Free religion should increase the :gp: output in that case, too.

You're right. Rethinking it, I believe that the whole thing would be better represented if the following were civic choices (or part of some civics), so they would indeed affect every city and not the captured ones only. In addition, to avoid ethno-bombing, it could be better to have it as 'universal politics', ie affecting every city the same (so having ultra-ethnic central cities and multi-cultural border ones is not going to positively affect both of them). Finally, it won't be just the population mix that will determine the politics followed, but the choice too, since it will be the same for all the cities, though the nationality type (mono- or multi-) would determine the exploitation of each civic. In the first case (violent assimilation) in about 10 turns from adopting it (or capturing a city), all the cities turn monoethnic (with violent resistance if needed) and then the modifiers apply. The second case is the current. In the third case, no foreign minority may fall under 10% (except the crazy case of 11 different cultures being in the city :crazyeye:), and you get an extra 10% in research for every extra nationality in any city (since it sounds too liberal to be available from 500, the prerequiste should be Liberalism). Finally, another issue with the immigrant thing would be the overkill case, where 1% of five different nationalities gives out +50% :science: !
Sorry for the long post, the idea has been more complex than I originally thought.

Top Bottom